Anxiety Community
Fear of sleeping at age 16...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Fear of sleeping at age 16...

For about 6-8 months now, I have not been getting the normal 6-8 hours recommended for teens attending high school.  Instead, I have been getting about 22-30 hours a week  just by not being able to, and the fear of dreaming. I have had a pretty bad past due to bullying( beaten up in elementary and middle school as along with name calling), family/friend stuff, and all the high school drama that has built up as well. I don't think it is stress due to me not having much on my mind until night gets close. Why is this happening? Does anyone have a clue or any ideas of helping me to get better hours of sleep? I have tried meditating, warm milk, tea before bed, yoga, all those. I am just worried that my school work will be even more effected due to this...

Any ideas will be much appreciated!!

Thank You...
Trace3690
I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Have you talked to your parents about this? If not I strongly recommend it, maybe they can get you the help you need. I've had anxiety for almost a year now and I know how tough it is especially when you are not sleeping. Does anyone know that this bullying is going on? You are too young to be worrying so much...
Thank you for concern. I finally told my father just last night actually about my nightmares and the past bullying..bad thing is...it was during an anxiety attack...my very first one. I was so scared, I told him everything that was on my mind, and everything that was going on in my life. He heard everything and thought he didn't know anything because well...he didn't. I never told him anything until then. I am always dependent of myself until yesterday...I was so scared because of the attack and I thought I wasn't going to make it..I had way to much oxygen in me to where my face was numb, my left arm, and my right arm was going to it. I had an IV and they gave me something to calm me down/slow down my breathing. Good thing was, because of the medication they put in the IV, I was able to sleep quite a while(to me anyways, I don't know to anyone else). I was crying and crying and I couldn't stop because of memories and I just told him everything that I was going through..he couldn't believe what all I was dreaming about, except for some.  Yet, I am glad I told him...a lot is off my shoulders now, yet I still have fear...my father asked if i needed to talk to the school counselor about this, and of course I said no...I barely know her, and every time I always try and talk about it, I burst into tears and I can't get any words out, so I just stay quiet.
Thank you so much for any other advice you have to help me get through this...I want to be able to sleep well again. I forgot what it is like to sleep 8 hours like I used to.
I'm glad you told your father, you can not keep these things to yourself because it just makes it worse. I have been talking to a Transformational Life Coach which is slowly helping. It has almost been a year that I have been suffering from anxiety/depression and at first the only one that knew was my husband. I was in the ER every day for about 2 or 3 months. You might not be comfortable talking to your school counselor but you should talk to somebody....trust me i never wanted to talk about it to anyone either...it's ok to cry no matter who you talk to. Call our local Mental Health.  
melimeli Just got my A1c test back f... Comment
10 mins ago
melimeli commented on melimeli's status
11 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
1 hr ago