Anxiety Community
Fear of throwing up and weight issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Fear of throwing up and weight issues

Take 2 with this post. I am wondering if anybody else who suffers from this condition can tell me about their weight. I am underweight by far. As you would know, food is not always our best friend. We can stir clear of it a lot of days for the obvious reasons. Has anybody got any tips or tricks about what to eat? Is there something that works for you. The best time to eat and the likes. Most of all ' how do you all manage to maintain some form of healthy weight '? Thanks to anybody who answers in advance.
Can you please clarify your condition for me?  Are you scared of "gaining" weight (and dont eat because of this) or is anxiety preventing you from gaining weight?
Emetophobia. If you go to page 4 on the forum there is a big long thread on the condition. It is not about fearing weight gain or weight loss at all that brings about the condition. The fear is of throwing up and can be a 24/7 fear.
I should clarify before I give you advise.   I do not suffer from Emetophobia but I suffer from really bad anxiety that causes me to have a very nacious feeling in my stomach constantly when suffering.   I take medication too, to help lesson my symptoms.  I absolutely hate throwing up more then anything but unfortunately I have had to do it way more then I would ever imagine.   I am 26 year old female and incredibly underweight.  I am 5"8 and 103 pounds.  I have been to many doctor but I am going to tell you what works best for me because I have tried it all.    
Whatever you do,  you have to try to eat something pretty frequently, this is a lot easier said then done. Build tolerance to the feeling of food in your stomach.  I will tell you why though, when you are not eating your body is freaking out and if you are anything like me you are constantly thinking about food and if you are going be able to eat it and keep it down.  I don't know if this is true for you but when my stomach is more empty and I have not ate for a while or been able to keep anything down, I feel sick.  So what I would try to eat and, maybe suggest you try to have something as simple a soy 100 calorie yogurt, you will be getting some nutrients and it will help having something in your stomach.  I say soy because I am lactose intolerant, if you are not any yogurt.  I also will drink even a half of an ensure or a boost, which you can buy at a pharmacy/grocery store.   I suggest having these little meals at least 5 times a day until you build up your stomach again. Even though maybe the foods are not the most delicious, it has tons of nutrients.  When you are really not feeling well, and think you can't eat anything try to start drinking gatorade.  Make sure you stay completely hydrated.   I like to make smoothies and drink them over an hour or two.  I usually put fruit in them, soy milk, then I will add a 1/2 tsp of something called Brewer Yeast,  this is a powder substance that increases the appetite.  Or I put protein powder in it.  I take a vitamin also called Floradix Iron & herb, this helps digestion and stimulates the appetite.    Whatever happens you have to find a way to not freak out if you do vomit, don't think you are going to start a cycle.  You had one episode, you will bounce right back.   An anti anxiety medication will help though. Also some activity to keep you mind occupied. I hope some of these suggestions help.  Please feel free to ask me anything.  You will make it through this.
I have also suffered extreme weight loss because of not eating due to anxiety.  My first medication certainly didnt help and made me very nausous the only thing that kept me going through this was Sustagen a powdered tonic that you add to water or milk.  I added it to water and have used it now for about a month.  Yesterday I went to the chemist to ask is there was something else I could take to help me eat sold foods, since my new medication is kinder to my stomach.  He said that I have to physcially force myself to eat again and as melmarv says have small bits very often.  Now everytime I think of food I go and get myself a small snack, banana, fruit, yoghurt, half a muffin. Yesterday I cooked a small piece of chicken and cut it into pieces and each time I walked past it I had a piece with some coleslaw until after about an hour or so I had eaten the whole lot.  I can tell you it is such a relief to know that you can get solid food back into your system, and if you are taking medication it will be kinder to your system also.  Buy all the things you like to nibble on and keep going with it.  I was so scared because everyone kept telling me I looked like a skeleton and all my clothes were just hanging off me. It is easier to eat than live with the fear that you are wasting away to nothing, plus you have to help you body as much as you can to deal with the anxiety, so thats one less thing to remove from the list.  God Bless you in your journey back to a healthy weight and remember to use this opportunity to be thankful there are so many overweight people who would probably love to be able to shed their pounds.
Thank you all for replying. I haven't stopped eating in full or anything like that. I eat and then suffer the fear. But I certainly don't eat enough. Worst thing about this phobia is that it does effect you indoors as well as outdoors. hence it is a very phobia to define. Not like Bulmia or Anorexia. You don't scoff at food and then want to throw up. Nor do you avoid food thinking you are overweight. Just a constant thought of throwing up. Tablet wise? The first thing you do when you are given tablets is read the side effects. If your worst fear is there the tablets are not for you.
Yes I am aware it is all in the mind. I would love to be able to sit back, eat and accept that. That to me would be a dream come true. Just accepting it as a feeling brought on by your own fears / mind. That one is always easier said than done. I did write away to a clinic that deals with eating disorders and asked them do they threat this sort of disorder. It never seems to be listed on any sites to do with eating disorders. Worth mentioning I am living in Dublin, Ireland. Always a bit behind in the treatment of conditions over here.
Thanks once again for your replies. There is no giving in at all. If fight I must, fight I will.
MrGreen,

I had never heard of the term "emetophobia"  until now.

Although I do not personally suffer from this (I suppose I did to a minor sense many years ago) I do have a few suggestions that may help.  Incidentally, I think merlmarv has given some excellent advice - some of this will iterate others suggestions.

i) Try eating many small meals throughout the day.  I have found what the others say to be true - if you dont eat for awhile, it will make things worse.  Having a little something in your stomach may help and..... if you did feel ill, there wouldnt be much in there to cause you to vomit in the first place.

ii) Try eating bland foods - they help to settle ones stomach.  Toast, bananas, crackers, applesauce, light soup, something ginger-based etc. etc. etc.  I know this wont necessarily help with the phobia, but perhaps knowing you are eating items that people with, or are getting over, severe nausea (those getting over gastroenteritis, pregnant women w/ morning sickness etc.) can tolerate will help.  In otherwords, knowing you are eating something that someone w/ severe nausea can often tolerate may help you from a psychological viewpoint - if it doesnt make them sick, it is unlikely to make me sick and may even help to ease my stomach.

iii) Based on your condition, it is important to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals.  Often, if you lack something, it can make many conditions worse and make you feel very miserable.  Do you currently take a daily vitamin?  Flinstone gummy vitamins or centrium chewable-orange vitamins are easy to take - no pill swallowing and they taste good!  As others have suggested, various nutrient-based substances such as ensure would be a good option.

iv) Water, water, water!  Make sure you are plenty hydrated.  Again, if you get dehydrated this will make you feel physically ill and make your condition worse. Try to make sure you are drinking 6-8 glasses of water per day.

v) Talking to a trained professional about your fears would be an appropriate step to take.  This isn't really a typical "eating disorder" so there may not be treatment available at an eating disorder clinic.  I would suggest talking to a physchiatrist as this is a psychological disorder which can be helped by re-training the mind. They will be able to help you do this and offer many helpful suggestions as a result of all their training.  It is certainly possible that medications will help you but you would first need to get to a point where you feel comfortable with taking them

lulu747 commented on In hell right now
LovemyKids86 commented on photo
travel_melb commented on In hell right now