Anxiety Community
Fear of throwing up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Fear of throwing up

Hi I am new to this. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety. I am still on anti-depressants. I have this wierd fear of throwing up. It is to the point, where I don't even want to eat. When someone is around me who is feeling sick I freak out. I hate living like this. I get so stressed out about it. I then get discomfort because I cannot pass a bowel movement because I am so tense and then right away I think that my stomach pain is going to cause me to through up. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
It is called emetaphobia. Welcome to the club. It ***** big time. Landed me in hospital because I wouldn't eat at one stage in my life. Lost so much weight that they feared for me. That is how bad it can get. In my mind it should be treated as the third eating disorder because it does force people to stop eating. Like any other eating disorder. But doctors have no idea how to treat it. Like it is something new to them. I was giving a tablet called stemitil. Stops you throwing up. More like a safety blanket to a person with a fear of throwing up. But it done the trick at the time. Made me feel safe eating again. I won't lie and say and say I am anything near the weight I should be for my age. I am far from it. Don't eat as much as the regular Joe Soap. But I get by with what I eat and when I eat. Love to tell you there is a miracle cure too. But that would be a lie. It is just something we get over. Even if it means eating small amounts at a time. Or even baby foods. Solids. Once you get something into your body. Build up a head of steam and begin to trust yourself eating again. That worked for me. But under professional help. So I know how bad it can be. Would rather die than throw up. Still today that is. Just something I hate. To the point were I do stir clear of people I think may be sick. The less you eat the less you will go. As far as the toilet part of things are concerned. As in sh*t. Because your body needs all the food it is taken in. Which is less than normal. So it won't let anything out. Don't let that part worry you. I asked about that one in hospital. Had not gone in days. Was told it was normal. Not to worry about it and had it all explained to me. Maybe your doctor can give you something to stop the anxiety surrounding the throwing up. Help you relax it up some. Theraphy can help too. I have been to a lot of that. Hate even talking about throwing up. Theraphy was great. Got used to talking about it. That's how much of a fear it was. Keep your head and I hope you can find help.
Thank you very much for the help!
mishymoshymarcy not all who wander are lost... Comment
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
TinaR10 commented on End of my ttc journey...