Anxiety Community
Fear of wind

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Fear of wind

Hi, My 2 and a half year daughter has started fearing wind (even the lightest wind) badly. She does not let me open the balcony doors and not even the pedestial fan. She gets panic if i switch on the fan or if i stand in the balcony. The last time i tried diverting her mind and took her to balcony, she was calm until a slight wind blew and my scarf blew slightly. She just ran inside crying and panicly asked me to get inside and close the doors. She was not like this earlier and used to play very nicely outside. I also have this kind of fear sometimes but that is with heavy wind.
I am very very concerned and tensed, what to do. please help.
I have son who just turned 5. He had/has sort of the same fear. He's always hated to have the window down in the car while driving and if it starts looking like a storm or the wind picks up while outside he starts getting anxious. He wants ALL his toys from outside picked up and put in the garage right away. He has no fear of fans though. I'm just a Mom, but I would say, wait it out. She is still very young. At that age it is hard to talk to her about fears and explain wind. As my son got older he was better at understanding how/what/when of wind.  I started reading him books about storms and weather. On a windy day, I left his toy outside and he screamed, but we watched from the window and we saw that it was going to be safe. I went outside and did the same thing, I twirled around(he begged me to come inside) came back inside and told him"see, mama is safe" He still has a small issue w/ the car window. But, we let go for a long time. This past year, we started telling him 30 sec, then we would do 1 min. and we would build up to 5min. We had a real hot day this summer and to my surprise, he just rolled the window down himself. All kids have fears, that might seem to us as irrational. I have two kids and believe me they are full of them. Sometimes, it can just end up being a minor sensory issue too, but I wouldn't worry so much about that at her young age. Good luck and have a great day!
Peace :)
Aha I found your post.  Young children often have fears that seem odd to most people.  There sometimes seems to be a link to something they have seen or experienced.  For instance: Has she seen the Wizard of OZ?  Has she been watching all the news on the hurricanes and their recent devastation?  How about the show "Storm Chasers"?  The movie Twister would be another.  There are so many things that influence a child's fears,  it's hard to say.  I would have a heart to heart talk with her and see if anything she has seen about wind has scared her.  It never hurts to have a child talk to a counselor if it becomes a big issue and affects her daily life.  Many times they know how to get to the root of things much more effectively than we do.  Good luck and give that little one a hug!
Thank you so much. I really hope this goes with time. I plan to send her to playschool but concerned how wil she behave as they also have fans and curtains. I never thought anything of this sort will happen to my child. don't know what went wrong :(
Thank you so much. I will try to visit some counsellor. I am really concerned abt her behaviour.
Dalubaba commented on Dalubaba's status
1 hr ago
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
englishborn commented on A very inspiring colu...