Anxiety Community
Feel like I have to pee-when I don't

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Feel like I have to pee-when I don't

I have developed a problem where when in certain situations-particularly ones where I either can not leave, or would feel rude or uncomfortable leaving (ie: on the bus, in class, in a meeting) I start to feel like I have to pee. It is completely in my head-when I go to the bathroom I don't actually have to pee. I also normally go 4-5 hours without peeing when I don't think of the problem. Ie: I recently went on vacation and not once on the vacation did I have this problem-sometimes we'd be out hiking for 5 hours, I'd be drinking throughout the hike, and still not feel this way.

It has begun to seriously interfere with my life. I feel worried to apply for any job where I may have to attend meetings. I am frightened of going on the bus. I feel uncomfortable throughout my lectures in school and can't concentrate.

I went to see a therapist a while back who told me it sounded like an anxiety disorder. So I started  researching anxiety and started doing daily exersize, breathing techniques, progressive muscle relaxation, etc. It helped IMMENSLY and I thought i was cured.

Now it has started to come back and it is happening in more and more situations. I'm confused because I don't feel stressed or under anxiety-everything else in my life is going well. So I'm reluctant to take medication for anxiety. When I am at home, or when I'm hanging out with my partner, it never happens. If for whatever reason I forget about it-it doesn't happen. But it seems that its become such a problem that as soon as I sit down on the bus, for example, I start thinking about it and worrying about it and I can't stop.

I try to distract myself by reading, calling people from my cell phone, but no matter how hard I try, I can't stop thinking about it.

ANY HELP??????
I know exactly how you feel, I have had this problem for many years now.   I am going to assume you've been checked for a UTI (bladder infection) as this is a symptom.  If you've been to the doctor and nothing is wrong then unfortunately this is a common anxiety symptom.  Lot's of people have this problem, in fact, if you read the post a few lines above your original post you'll see the same question with a few responses.  

I don't know your age, but my urologist said a common problem is narrowing of the urethra and there is a procedure to widen it, but I believe this occurs in older people (I"m 48) I didn't have the procedure because it sounded unpleasant and a short while later guess what.....it went away so obviously it's related to anxiety.  It comes and goes.  

I know the fear of going places or being in a situation where it's difficult to get to the bathroom, but the more you worry about it the more you will feel it.  I'm not going to say ignore it because that's difficult to do because it's so uncomfortable, but maybe have peace of mind by the fact that your not going to pee your pants, lol.  Try telling yourself it's just anxiety to get through whatever situation.....think of something else until you can get to a restroom.

I hope this helps a little, you're not alone.

Take care
I have this exact problem, and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one!  
I'm currently a full-time student at a university, so as you can imagine, it really irritates me.  I have ADHD and thought that it may be caused by me not taking my medication, so I tried taking them and hoped it would help, but it didn't.  I don't ever take the medication due to the fact that it makes me drowsy and irritable, so therefore I move, shake, and wiggle constantly in class, and the peeing issue makes my movements even more rapid.  I'm so distracted by it that during lecture, I only take notes and never actually follow along with the material that my professors are covering.  In one of my classes, the teacher will humiliate any student that gets up to leave by asking them where they're going and how rude it is to leave.  I've noticed that my movements are more violent in that class.
I've tried telling myself that there is no possible way that I could pee myself, but that doesn't help. :(
Mentioning the UTI part is helpful but stating you've had it for many years is not helpful for those with this problem for it is only putting them down. Today I got rid of this problem myself though I was hesistant about going on meds for it. I wasn't able to sleep, work, or enjoy life at all so I know exactly how all of you feel. If your were also like me you typed "I can't stop thinking about peeing" for a solution but unfortanetely found only people looking for a solution as well.

Well what I did was just stopped worrying about it all together from the source. I brainstormed what I was worrying about really and for me at least it was peeing my pants. I realised that throughout my 2 months dealing with this I never soiled myself and wondered why I worried about it. Realising that I was worried about peeing my pants I just blocked it out of my mind completely and told myself I'm not going to so stop thinking about it, though it may be hard tell yourself it is easy because once you start fighting it it is easy. One thing I always did as well was ask myself if I had to go to the bathroom, don't ask yourself that for your body will tell you when you got to go. Come to the conclusion that you are going to be okay and this will not ruin your life for you can do it just as I did today.
Didn't know if you realized....but you've resurrected a pretty old thread...the OP and respondents may not be around anymore.

Also...I didn't see any "putting anyone down"?  I saw very helpful replies....usually the very mention of someone else being "in your shoes" (which is what I believe the one poster was saying) is VERY reassuring.
For others who followed a search engine here and the op:

I'm a full-time college student and I have this exact same problem. It is increadably stressful, especially long lectures or even more so on the bus! I've had an anxiety disorder for a long time, and I've always been able to deal with it perfectly, but only recently did it manifest itself in the is physical way.

I know how you feel, it is completely humiliating, and absolutely destroys all quality of life. A week ago I was absolutely rock bottom, I've had to take time off college and am honestly worried about dropping out. I lost my apartment and haven't been able to see most of my friends for a while. Fighting it by fixing myself so often to the point where my pants are worn down more at the groin. Worrying about what your peers may be thinking, what the teacher is thinking, how you look, whether or not your going to pee yourself, just biting your cheek or grinding your heels on the chair legs to think of something else as you desperately try not to get up a second time in one class, and the frustration of peeing that small amount having no effect on the urgency.

I'm now on medication, it has honestly helped a bit. It will make the symptoms worse the first week, but after that it is becoming much, much better. I guess short term pain, long term gain. I have no idea how to deal with it by conventional means (meditation, relaxation ect), so I just told them I despised SSRIs ( emotions repressed ), and they gave me another type which has not had these effects.

I'm still dealing with this, but I hope my experience has helped.
wow.. i thought it was just me with this issue! i have NO idea why.. im 24.. when i was younger i used to smoke a lot of weed and used to get this feeling.. i stopped doing that 4 years ago and get this feeling at the worst times! i went about a whole year without getting this feeling and was at my girlfriends parents house and all of a sudden it came back! that feeling where you stop listening to everyone else and start planning an escape in your head, and what happens if i do pee myself.. what do i do? how embarrising!! i tried telling myself, its just in your head, its just in your head! ive tried breathing ive tried everything!!! thought i had it under control, and i was wrong!! i cant even take any pills (tynol, advil, anything) because i find that trigers it!! when i was a kid i used to pee to bed.. until i was like.. 12ish?! i wonder if that has anything to do with it?

You have somehow stumbled upon a very old thread...16mos old.  Most people won't see this, so if you would like to talk about this problem, you may want to go to the top of the page and post a new question.  Up top, on the left, you will see a green box titled Post a Question.  Posting a new question will bring you to the top of the boards :)
I have this exact problem. I can go for hours wtuout going, by when I am confronted with a situation where I may not be able to use a toilet such as on a bus or in a school assembly (not even 30 mins long) or car journey or in a cue. It helps to know that in an exam they can't actually stop u from using the toilet but it's still a big worry. I feel that I have to take an empty water bottle with me every where just in case. I don't think there's any physical problem as I'm only 15 but I just hate the thought of school assemblys and exams. I really need a solution. Please help!! :)  
I too am having this issue, but only when I am in the car and then I start to have a panic attack which then causes me to feel really sick to the point of throwing up and I become afraid that even if I were to throw up I would pee my pants :(

At times I really do have to pee, but most of the time its nothing.
I do frequently have urinary tract infections, which add, but started on a long trip where we got stuck in traffic and the panic attack just kicked in.

I am going to the doctor and urologist this week hopefully I can find some answers
So I talked to my doctor he said that it might be something called "Honeymoon Cystitis" which is from sexual activity, if you search for infromation on it you should find some helpful tips, like drinking water, urinating after sexual activity to discharge any bacteria, etc.  
This is a pretty old thread.... but I'm glad you've figured it out. Anxiety from your panic attacks also give us all the urge to pee all the time. =) I pee more than a racing horse. lol.
i have the exact same problem and most recently it's been acting up to the point where i will pee at my job and sit at my desk and litteraly want to get right back up and pee again!!!! Has anyone with this issue actually ever peed themselves????? i haven't but i can not explain how frustrating this is to me and I KNOW its purely anxiety and that it's not going to happen but it's just so annoying constantly thinking about it.  I mean it's so hard to tell yourself not to think about it and in doing so, you're actually thinking about it!  i will always try to continue about my life as normal because i feel like avoiding situations will only increase the problem but then i find myself wanting to run to the bathroom everywhere i go and at every chance i get and as im walking to the bathroom, i sometimes feel like i need to run to get there in time.  Riding in cars is the absolute worst!!! although i tell myself that i could litteraly just pull over and go on the side of the road i still get the urges and i wiggle around and feel i can not relax.  sometimes i think that because i am so fed up with it and i just don't care any more and i know i can pee whenever i am actually making it worse because then i want to keep peeing rather than fighting the urges and telling myself i don't need to pee right now.  it hasnt always been this way for me, i did get over it for about a year straight and i felt great! like i was back to normal and then it just started up again.  I know i will probably have to deal with this issue for my whole life, i am 23.  The first time it happened to me i was in class and i was thinking about anxiety, because my sister was battling it severly at the time, and i remember saying to myself "i wonder if "anxiety" could make me pee myself"  i remember thinking about how in movies when people get scared to death they sometimes pee their pants and so i thought i wonder if having "anxiety" could make me pee myself uncontrollably and thats when i had an adrenaline rush and julted to the bathroom only to try to pee and actually couldn't really pee at all.  after that i continued to go to class and push the thought out of my head but i felt like i was battling these thoughts and they slowly got worse.  first it was i couldnt sit through that class then it was class in general then it was car rides then it was work then going out to dinner etc. It just became every situation.  I saw therapists and gave medication a small attempt but it wasn't for me.  It wasnt until i got a job that required me to go on long car rides with strangers everyday that i realized i could beat this! slowly i stopped obsessing and realized i could ride in cars and i could over come the thoughts! i was elated! i left that job and took a job as a camp counselor which was sports activites all day outside.  i was again completely fine, i still thought about peeing and i would just say "if i have to go i can go" and that was the end of it.  i had gotten my life back and i once again felt limitless.  That was a year ago now and i have been working at a boring desk job. i have to stay here for the money and the benefits but it's just hard dealing with the peeing issue because it's back in full-effect and i think it's partially because i can go to the bathroom as much as i want to so i constantly do want to go but then i feel like my boss is going to get mad at me for getting up all the time.   I know i have gotten over it before and i know i have to find a way to get over it again but it's been very hard lately.  i wish that there was a quick fix but im pretty sure that for myself and others with this issue, it's just something you have to get over for yourself.  If anyone else has gotten over this and has made peace with this issue, for the most part, i'd really like to hear about it.  I could use some positive reenforcement right about now!  i mean i look down the line to my future and getting married and i am actually terrified to walk down the isle because i feel like "what if i have to pee and i pee myself at my wedding?".....ugh!!!!! i guess i must continue to keep a positive outlook and to tell myself that i am never going to pee myself and i should stop thinking about it all together because then i will be fine. it is just so hard to do, as i am sure you all know.  i hope all of us will find a way to move past this, i am positive i will someday.  Keep well all, thanks for listening =)
same thing happens to me. D: i'm a sophomore in high school and during every single class i feel like i'm going to pee my pants, even if i just went pee. i've noticed that when i sit, it's worse. when i'm standing or walking, i don't feel a thing. when i am home, i don't have this problem at all, and my mom think's i'm lying about it.
i thought it was just me with this issue am young & no one has actally peed them selfs , the way a look at it is , so wht if you did , not ah big deal just laff about it & dont worrie about it till it actally happens & its no goin to :-O , one day you will laff about this , & ask your self why did ah think a wis goin to pee maself , its in your head , a wanted to kill maself because of this problem , now a laff because a have meat people with the same problem & no for a fact am no goin to pee ma self , now a can get on with ma life & if you on a bus & u think about your gain go pee yirself , just txt people or phone sumone
found the way to stop this feelin
by gettin hypnotize it stops you for feeling like this , u dont even think about it
I am 18 years old now and developed this problem drugs. Its all in the copmpleatly. Its a sensation caused by anxiaty and will only get worse the more you worry about it. In my case i had alot of other sensations like chest pain, lower back pain, sweating and much more. All of this just from weed. The part of the brain that detects when you are scared or need to be scared (anxious) Becomes a bit confused. This starts to become worse and worse and then it takes less to trigger the anxiaty off the next time you get anxious. The only way this can be fixed is to re-train the part of the brain that causes anxiaty by not so much trying not to think abpout it but to tell yourself that it isent happening you shouldnt be scared until you forget about it whitch i know can be a very long time. Over a period of time you will have retrained that part of the brain to naturaly know this and anxiaty will and i guaretee it will go for ever. If you dont retrain that part of the brain nothing will change and it will carry on happening.

Trying to forget about and doing things constantly to try and forget about it e.g getting up and then sitting down or fidgeting can also make it worse and you are more likely to get the thought reoccur than you fighting it. The reoccurence can in very bad cases as i found out lead to mild OCD as with ocd it is repetative behavior usuely to evade the sensations of anxiaty and the two go hand in hand.

Anxiaty can cause all kinds of SENSATIONS not symptoms. All can be extreamly scary. ocd+anxiaty are within the top ten illnesess to effect your life (illness was a bad word to use because it isent an illness its a behaveural disorder or chemical imbalence)

You are more likely to get all of these feeling when you are at a lower e.g day after heavy drinking or stressed out. They can all still pop up if you are happy and enjoying life too but less likely.

The reason it comes back and goes agin say every few weeks in my case. Two weeks of anxiaty then two weeks of being fine is that the part of the brain that you want to slowly build up to not be scared of these sensations has not done that, the anxiaty has just been forgoten and then works its way back.

The last thing you want to do is take any meds in my opinion. The reason i have this is because of drugs and all it does is mask the anxiaty (maybe). Can make you drowsy or maybe slightly chilled out. But you will start to feel the effect of it less, the need of it more and after a few months COULD be worse tha\n before.

Everytime this feeling comes back sit there and dont move at all just sit still and tell yourself you are anxious, taht you should not be scared of something that may happen, That has never happened despite how many times you feel like this because you are not peeing yourself.

p.s if you ask your doctor to see a therapist it can be very useful but alot of docters have very very little knowledge about anxiaty and dont know much about it. They all have similer education and therefore are much more limited thasn someone who works just with anxiaty. It is a very very big and complicated subject but is very easily cured.

Ihope this is helpful
I also suffer with this problem....I am 20 years old. I developed the anxiety when I was about 15, I have no idea why, and it totally took a hold of my life. I used to dread assemblys, school trips, and would constantly make excuses to avoid going to the cinema / theatre or anywhere that my problem would be an issue. I managed to overcome the feeling...but, 5 yeats on, it has suddenly crept back out of nowhere. I really don't want it to rule my life like before, but I know that it already is. I have to take the bus to work every day for over an hour, and I dread each journey. I panick, I sweat, I think there is no way I am going to make it...but I do. I try to tell myself "Its all in my head!"  But the emotions are so strong, I really physically feel like I am desperate to go, and worry that maybe *this* is the one time I am going to wet myself...Although it never is.

I am going to try hypotherapy, I will let you know how I get on.
First, lemme start by saying that the reason I searched for this problem is because I realized that I no longer have this problem controlling my life, I mean it's like 10% of what it used to be, and it's mostly normal nervousness from having to go pee, when I have to.  But I searched for this to see if I can help people.  

It was bad when I had it. Like most of you it got progressively worst.  Up to a point where I coudn't last half an hour without feeling nervous.  I remember when it plateud.

It was my first day of my second semester in 11th. Grade, I had to leave every class to use the restroom, and I was fidgeting like crazy, making myself even more self conscious.  When I got home I broke down and started crying in front of my family.  

I ended up missing the next two months of school.  I wen't to a therapist, and my uncle let me work in his factory (the manual work allowed me to think and allowed me to sink in the feeling that I woudn't pee in my pants), I even got a special program called holosync.  

It helped, I was able to get back to school. I finished high school and got in to a university.  But over the time the problem crept back. It didn't get to the point that it was at before. But it was very annoying to have to go to the restroom before every class, and even then suffer some anxiety by the end of the class.

Now I'm in my 4th year of college and I don't feel like I did before.  I realized this yesterday that I sat through a movie and I didn't use the restroom hours before the movie started.
I can't tell you for certain that there was one unifying treatment for it, but a variety of things helped.  For one thing, just let it out, tell people.  I known it's enbarrasing, but you can do it especially if you tell people you can thrust who aren't judgemental, and who are close to you, especially in your family (because anxiety runs in families).

Relaxation techniques are also very helpfull. You can take a relaxation session, hypnosis, meditation, imagery, etc.  If you can't find any of those let me tell you this simple technique.
1. Breathe in deeply.
2. Breathe out slowly, controlled
It may be hard to notice at first, and it requires practice, but there's a certain feeling you get, when you breadthe out.   It is like a sense of letting go.  You may even need some guided relaxation, to learn the feeling.  You can google hypnosis scripts, find one you like and get a friend to read it to you in a relaxed setting.

| |
\/
A third thing that helped me was the "what if" thinking.  I know it's super hard, but if you can get your mind to accept the worst it can help you plenty. First of all, you are less than likely going to pee in your pants (there may have been an accident that started it, but it never happed it me again so after 5 years of fear of it happening what are the chances).  But what if it did happen, so you will have an very embarrasing situation, it's not the end of the world.

But if you are like I was, that's not your biggest fear.  What got me even worst was fearing how people would react if I went to the restroom during class.  I usualy would get out only when a certain amount of time had passed (like I would tell myself, "okay I can go 1 hour in to the class"), and by that time I tended to be super anxious.  This it what probably harms you the most.  the problem with anxiety is that it gets used to certain situations, like being in a classroom, theater, or church, after a certain amount of time.

Don't let it get there the first time! leave to the restroom as soon as you feel even a hint of anxiety or that you have to go pee. It really helps in realizing that people don't really notice you, or if they do they forget about you after a couple of seconds. It's not like they are going to be making fun of you when you leave, or after class, and even if they do, so what, it means they have a problem.
If you have a teacher or professor who isn't lenient of you using the restroom talk to him, you don't have to tell him everything just tell him you have a condition and it's personal, if you are still in high school, start by telling you parents, counselour, or if you go to a therapist, maybe they can make you a note, if it's affecting your education they are obligated to do so.  

Remember you don't have to live in fear!

Best regards,

J

PS. If you I was thinking of making a video about this for youtube, to help more people, if you think I should or if you have any questions my username is Jerkycam in Youtube.

I too have had this problem for at least 10 years- everyone knows I am the one who has to go pee at least 5 times before any road trip!
what helped me was finding triggers and avoiding them- like taking the train and not the bus, also going over in my mind the "So What" answers- so what if I have to go on the bus- Ill get off at the stop by the mall and catch the next bus. so what if I go out in the middle of a movie- Ill probaly see it again some other time- I can always come back with a snack and say thats why I went out 3 times.
In the end after realizing  I can go if I want- I didnt need to!
so what if I pee my pants, Ill just tie my jacket around my waste and no one will see I'm wet....
During big exams I sat near the door and If I was relay nervous I just told the teacher I have a UTI so Ill need to go out a lot!

anther mager thing that helped the feeling be less dominant in my life is not drinking fake sugar drinks- I found that they irritate the bladder so I really do feel like I have to pee and it wasn't related to the anxiety- like having to go 3 times during the night!

I still am looking for the miracle cure and I too cant even imagine going on a bus for an hour or how other people can do it- I am scared its holding me back from a lot in my life!
And yes I even considered grown up diapers- not like I would ever pee in them- but just in case- the thing is I am afraid to be too dependent on something like that because then if I am stuck without the anxiety would be worse!

still hoping for a cure- it is reassuring I am not alone, and I have to thank my boyfriend who goes with my crazes and will do everything to help me find a place to pee
I am currently 19, I can't say that drugs didn't do this to me because one night, i was drinking beer with SALT in it, and then i took some ECSTASY. A few hours later, i couldn't STOP going to the bathroom...... Literally 1 second after just going.... Then for the pass few days, this feeling kept happening.... I went to the doctor, and he told me it's nothing. Just drink more water. For the next week, it was still the same... going to pee all the time....  It was all better 2 weeks later. One normal day, i was sitting in class, out of no where, it just came out of no where, the feeling of needing to pee... so i just walked out and went home.. After this day, i just feel the need to pee every second.... so i stopped going to school for a semester. 4 months has passed, it got better since i stayed home the most of the time. I don't go out to public places, when i do go out to hang with friends, i only go to friends' house. Now that i'm back in school, i still have this problem... i have to go to the bathroom before class everytime, when i do get into the class room, i feel normal for a couple minutes until more students come in, that's when i get anxious, then once the class get's really full, or when someone sits really close to me, i get REALLY anxious, i start feeling the need to pee... . When i am at home, i don't even have this feeling, i pee every 5-6 or even longer.
Can someone please help me? If there's any way possible to cure this, i will try it. My last resort will be a hypnotist.... but i really don't want to go there. but if i have no choice, i will.
i have the same problem. the second i get into the car to go to school i feel like i have to pee i am going to the bathroom during every class and nothing comes out as soon as school lets out and i get to the parking lot i do not feel it at all. someone please help me what makes this go away?
I got a UTI about four months ago and I think that's what caused my anxiety problem. I can't be anywhere where a bathroom isn't near or else I FREAK out. My anxiety gets a thousand times worse, and even in situations where i'm near a bathroom I get the anxiety where I feel like i'm going to pee my pants. I'm an over-thinker/over-analyzer type of person so now that I have anxiety I feel that I can't get over it....I tried convincing myself that nothing will happen and I won't pee but how do I know for sure I won't? Someone please reply to this..I have some questions. I really can't imagine living a life with this problem -

* Has anyone with this anxiety actually peed their pants?
* What have you done to get over this anxiety besides to try and convince your mind not to think about it (because that won't work for me...)
* Does a therapist or hypnotist actually help?

Please help me ='(

Just thought I would let everyone know how I got on with the hypnotherapy. I must say, it does seem to have helped. To start with, my anxiety got worse, I was at the lowest point I have ever been, but 4 months later I am feeling a lot more in control. I do still feel the need to urinate when in a difficult situation, but I am handling the panics a lot more, I know I am in control and it is in my head.

However saying this, hypnotherapy is definitely no miracle cure, sadly. It's worth a go, perhaps for some it may be even more successful than it has been for me. But there is a nagging voice at the back of my head telling me this problem isn't gone forever.
I have also had this same problem for sometime now.  It was better for awhile, but it is back, and worse than ever.  When I try to explain it to my friends they just think I am crazy.  It is so nice to know that I am not alone (not that I am happy anyone feels this way).  I was on meds for awhile for anxiety, but no longer have insurance, so I had to stop taking them.  I just graduated college, and am looking at Grad schools, but am hesitant to leave because of this problem!  I'm afraid to do so many things because of this.  Even though I have experienced it for sooo long when I feel like I am going to pee my pants the sensation is so strong that I actually feel like it will happen even though it never has!  I don't know what to do anymore.  
Hey all,
I'm a 27 year old male, and I have been having this same problem for two years or more now and am starting to get fed up. I get anxious about things I have to do weeks in advance, already worrying about having to go to the bathroom during that time. Like everyone else, I know it's in my head, and if I'm just relaxing at home I can go hours without going. But if I'm in public, I literally feel like I have to go again only seconds after I just went. I've never actually peed myself, but I still can't shake the feeling. The other day I did a presentation in front of the class, and even though I had gone to the bathroom right before, I was freaking out, fidgeting, and sweating up there. It was great to read some of these posts, because I've had so many of the same thoughts: worried about getting a job in the future, getting married, car rides etc. I don't really tell anyone about it, so if anyone is interested in sharing stories and figuring out how to get rid of this problem, email me at ***@****. I'm planning to try some hypnosis and meditation techniques.
Hang in there.
I guess you can't post your email on this site, so feel free to shoot me a message on here.
I thought I was the only person in the world who had this "disorder" as I call it - from anxiety.  I dread going anywhere where there is no bathroom or where I'm unfamiliar with until I locate the bathroom.  I have been suffering with this since 2001; shortly after the sudden loss of my parents and then 9/11 made it worse.  I was so depressed and full of anxiety that I actually wet my bed.  I didn't even do that as a child!  Once that happened it set the stage for this fear that I would do it again or worse, in a public place.  It has destroyed my otherwise fearless spirit and quality of life.  I have tried treatment and hypno therapy but nothing works.  Fine when I'm at home and a disaster in public places.  I'm 40 years old and it's been almost a decade of this!
I too have been mentaly terrorized by this same thing, I am 23 years old and I sufferd from this when I was a little girl 6-14.. The trigger was leaving my mother...at 14/15 it magically went away,, I was soo happy I lived a normal life for 5 years I went anywhere and did everything without a care in the world, Now I am a certified esthetician, I have started a small business and work from the comfort of my own home,  okay great.. But the minute that things arent done onmy terms.. or somewhere i am unsure of.. i get this feeling of panic (car, bus, movies, mostly social settings with friends- i feel they will judge me and i fear that people of my age are not mature enough to understand how mentaly exhausting this actually really is).. i have never actually had an accident, and its rediculous for me to feel this way, but i do, friends and family dont understand they say its all in my head and get angry at me when i go through an episode, i think the biggest help here is knowing that i am not alone, that we are here for one another, even if others dont understand!

thank you everyone for your posts, it is reassuring to know  that i can find comfort in knowing that we are our own support for one another. maybe this is the key.. afterall we fear the same things... so knowing people that understand and wont judge takes the anxiety out of the problem!!!
Hi, i'm glad I came across this as these are all the same symptoms I'm experiencing.

It all started about a year ago when on holidays. I felt like i needed to go every ten minutes and felt really ill when i got home. When i went home i went to the doctors as i thought i had a bladder infection but all the tests came back ok.

I do alot of sports and have a really active social life so this is becoming a real problem for me. I always become anxious in "those" situations. When i'm having fun i'm fine but don't know how to take my mind of the thought of needing the toilet. In the office i can go all day without going to the toilet, drinking coffee etc as well, but as soon as i have to sit in an meeting i get these thoughts and can't concentrate.

Probably looking at going back to the doctors in the new year if it doesn't get better.

If anyone has had any success in overcoming this or other suggestions then please let me know.

Thanks.
I am 16(boy) and have this problem too. I can't do any sports and when im doing P.E, I feel like I'm going to pee and everyone's going to see my stained shorts. I had to change from wearing boxers to briefs. I want to just not go to school. I'm about to go see a psychiatrist and see what he tells me.. This has gone on for 3-4 months.. It started right before one of my races..Idk if this is part of it but i had an accident about 1-2 years ago where i peed myself outside my house walking from school. I went to the doctor and everything was fine. My theory is that it's anxiety, stress, and depression. Please if anyone has gotten cured,,please let me know how.. thankyou
also for some reason i always have to hold use the muscle that "stop you from peeing" when im in class..and as soon as i go to the bathroom ..only a really small amount of yellow pea comes squirting out..I wake up every morning knowing im going to struggle at school..my lips are always dry..Im always thinking negative and thinking "what if"..I'm about to shoot myself..not really but still.
Im 14, i got this problem when i was only 12. its completely recked my life it started at the very end of 2008 when i first started secoundry school and throughout the whole of 2009 i was off school i went back for a year in 2010 i was fighting it on and off and asoon as christmas came in the problem got so bad im back to were i started. im exstremly fustrated i cant go out the house without the worry of wetting myself i cant walk up to the shops or hang out with mates either. im very worried for my future as i dont know weather ill be able to get a job or not especailly as ive had little secoundry education.   Anyone who has this problem has my sympathy as its like a monster has taken over your body and your cursed. i dont just get the need to pee i get other symptoms too, but the weeing one is certainly the worst.  i pray out there somewere theres something that can help people like us.
i have posted on here for awhile, but I am leaving for New York City on thurs, and am pretty scared about having to pee all the time.  I am going with a friend to visit her sister, and I just don't know how sensitive they will be to my situation.  i did go back to a doctor, and got some meds, celexa, and xanax.  The xanax really helps me in those desperate situations....it really takes away the feeling that I have to pee, but of course xanax is not something you want to rely on long term.  When I was on insurance I took Lexapro which did wonders for me!  Seriously, I would still get anxiety but I felt like I could deal and rationalize internally much more.  While on lexapro I even traveled to europe alone to meet up with a friend.  So if anyone has insurance, I would see if you can try Lexapro.  they usually start you out on 10 miligrams, but I ended up taking 20mg....I really don't like medication, but I have been off of it for a year, and things got worse.  I am taking celexa as an alternative to lexapro since I don't have insurance, and I really hope i begin to see some changes.  I want to travel, be able to apply for jobs, be in weddings, ect.   I know you all feel the same way.  It's just so difficult to do these things with this fixation on having to pee.  I actually wore adult diapers in college for a short time...it was a last resort since I really just wanted to drop out.  Even with the diaper on I didn't feel secure.  I would also imagine that I had to pee so bad that not even the diaper would hold it....even though this wasn't the case...anyway I have rambled enough...I hope everyone else is coping!  good luck, and keep sharing...esp if you find the magic cure!
I am currently seeing a psychiatrist and have been working on this problem...I'm in my 5 session allready, and I'm looking forward to getting fixed..If i find the cure..I'll remember to share it with you guys
I'm going through a divorce and have the same problem.   I have spent the last week going from doctor to doctor and they all tell me it's all in my head.   The anxiety meds they gave me only make me tired.   It's so hard to go to work because all i want to do is stay in the bathroom, which is the only place I feel calm.   I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has this problem when they are anxious. I really hope it gets better because it's very hard to continue on as usual.   It's much worse when I'm standing up or walking.   Very hard to stay calm about this.
anxiety is mosrly cause for this problem i had anxiety for year now i understand it quite   a  bit the more yiu understand the more it makes it easier.when you have an anxiety attack your body goes into fight or flight and gets rid of evrything u dont needs such as your digestive system shuts down your bladder dont work because all your blood goes to the muscles brain and heart your mouth goes dry and water is needed into the main systems for you to get away or fight thats why u may feel like wetting yourself and butterflies in stomach and light headiness etc the mind is powerfull tool let me tell you you may not think you stressed bout anything but you proberbly are cronic (chronic) anxiety is awfull your body is always in fight or flight mode can make u feel really tired and questions i will help about physicall and mental im not  a   doctor but i do know alot bout this problem im an experienced gad patient lol
Hi, I'm 14 and I have this problem. I have had it for a year now and it is ruining my life. I hate talking about it and I experience a somewhat different reaction. I feel kinda tight up down there and I get this weird intense and overwhelming sensation down there. It's not a good feeling. It is a horrible feeling and I dread having it happen each day. I am constantly depressed and nervous and I don't know how to deal with it. It started off as having to urinate but not really as said before..but it has turned to this. I feel great when I can be free and chill or work with a partner, but when I take long car rides or in classes with situations that I can't leave freely, It happens. Someone please give me some advice.
Yea
I am a male also. Someone please reply.
I'm a bit confused with your post..sorry.  You are saying that in closed in situations where you don't have the freedom to get up and leave you feel you have to use the bathroom all the time?  
I have found what can help and possibly CURE this condition. I too currently have this condition, and each and every day it is slowly leaving me. I have taken up hypnosis. But in order for hypnosis sessions to work, you must believe you can get over this and actually get to the point where you can't take it anymore. Try hypnosis. I promise it will make it better.
Hi everyone, I am a male in my late 20's.  I want to share with everyone of a temporary solution to this problem.  I have the similar thing, which started 6 months when I was taking midterms.  I am currently a college student and this problem was driving me crazy but I am trying to find different things that help.  Regular exercise and mediation helped me, however sometimes at critical moments I felt that I needed to be sure that I wasn't going to embarass myself in front of people so I decided to wear adult size diapers.  This is definitely not a permanent solution but it helps when you need to feel that assurance that you are protected.  It's definitely a mind thing and it will relieve you of the stress in those critical moments such as: exams, meetings, lectures, bus rides.  I don't wear it all the time, but only those times when I know I am going to have an anxiety issue.  You can start by putting them on initially, then gradually taking them off and leaving one in your backpack or purse so you feel like there is an escape.   Hopefully this will help you guys.  
This is from my post on the forum.  Hi everyone, I am a male in my late 20's.  I want to share with everyone of a temporary solution to this problem.  I have the similar thing, which started 6 months when I was taking midterms.  I am currently a college student and this problem was driving me crazy but I am trying to find different things that help.  Regular exercise and mediation helped me, however sometimes at critical moments I felt that I needed to be sure that I wasn't going to embarass myself in front of people so I decided to wear adult size diapers.  This is definitely not a permanent solution but it helps when you need to feel that assurance that you are protected.  It's definitely a mind thing and it will relieve you of the stress in those critical moments such as: exams, meetings, lectures, bus rides.  I don't wear it all the time, but only those times when I know I am going to have an anxiety issue.  You can start by putting them on initially, then gradually taking them off and leaving one in your backpack or purse so you feel like there is an escape.   Hopefully this will help you guys.  
hey everyone, just saying that ive been having this problem for about a year and a half now and the one thing that ive noticed that works is kegel exercises. i do them for about a week and then the problems goes away for a month or two. if i had the persistance it would go away all together. look them up, usually this sort of thing is due to weakened pelvic floor muscles. see how you go :)
oh man. This anxiety issue has alot of causes. I was fine until 21. I had alot of stress, upsets, deaths in family, i had drugs smoking drinking eating crap etc. One day all of a sudden I got on a bus and had anxiey attack. I freaked out because I didnt know what was happening. Then I started getting them everywhere. Full blown panic attacks. I know why now because of the fear of having one. I would walk and have a panic attack. Everywhere, shops, buses, trains, movies, cars, at the lights, planes, travel, basically everywhere. Then even in my own home. I would wake up and have them.
So I thought I mite aswell sell the car because i cant drive. Oh yeah in this process I stopped smoking, drinking and drugs all at once. Then there was three deaths in the family. Plus other stuff.
I thought I l put myself in one of those physco wards. I went to the doctor and he said your fine your not nuts. You just need some help.
So I got conselling. the next street from my house. It went 3 times a week. It was so hard. I was eating really well.
It took over five years to get better. But still wont go on a place.
Oh yeah I got help aswell. Like life coaching, holographic kinetics, hypnothearpy, eft, and other techniques.
So then a couple of years ago I started feeling like i need to pee when i dont. This really *****.
I am the same i go somewhere where i dont feel i have control, though iam not thing about it. Like movies, fuctions, big events and especially travel. Because iam going away from my comfort zone.
The thing is that when i feel like i need to pee when i dont, i go to the toilet and i cant go at all. Imagine bursting but nothing. Its the worst feeling ever. The only way it goes is if i get out of that situation.
This is not living. i want to travel, go places, do so much but feel so restrricted.
I know about positive thinking, I know so much about all this stuff but i still have it.
It takes alot of efffort. I think you have to really change your thinking, meditate, eat well, get the emotions out, let the fear go and get alot of sleep. From my experience the only person that can heal this is you. I know that ***** cas you just want a cure or quick fix but it doesnt work that way.
I developed this problem through anxiety i was tested at the doctors for any infections and i was clear, they wanted me to go to like a hospital for mental illness but i didnt want to go so i saw a hypnotherapist and it really helped me I still occasionally get the problem where I feel anxious and have to go to the toilet before any journey of length or if I'm going somewhere I'm nervous for, nothing has ever happened I just feel anxious, I find it better if I don't drink anything for at least an hour before I go because then I know I don't need to pee because I haven't drank anything that hasn't already been peed out I'm worried for my holiday in a few weeks cos I'm going with my best mates and some of the trips take an hour to get there I hope that being with my friends will distract me but I find listening to your favourite songs on your I pod or looking out the window letting your mind wander to other things helps hope that I may have helped someone with this, its nice to know it isn't just me I'm only 17 but I was 15 when I developed the issue, I would recommend a hypnotherapist or a reiki therapist it really does help if you put your faith into and keep an open mind because I realise it can sound like a load of rubbish :)
I have this problam and am so glad to see im not alone! Its the worst thing. How are people surposed to live a propper life with this? If you cant even sit still, constantly fidgeting in fear of peeing yourself in front off ppl. Ive had bladder infections before, and this is definatly not that...its in my head, but surely theres something that can be done about this??? Im so upset to see theres not really a cure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQKeWJA31OY
How is everyone doing?  Anybody have any new ideas or advice?  I've stopped taking my medication so uncomfortable situations are popping up more frequently.  I had to attend two weddings recently, and sure enough once the ceremony started I felt like I was going to pee my pants, but couldn't leave!  

I started doing yoga and try to meditate daily, but I don't know if these things are helping.  
I've had this problem for the last three years. I was on SRI drugs for about a year but the drugs didn't help. I started wearing pads everywhere I go so I don't feel so anxious, but depending on the situation it doesn't help completely. The only way to solve this problem is to somehow convince ourselves that we won't pee our pants, but it's hard to do that...
I am 15 and I've had this problem for almost a year. It started in an assembly in the first week of school for absolutely no reason, and caused a panic attack which soon became a regular thing. I thought I had a UTI, so I went to get tested but there was nothing. At first it was just at school, then it was also public places, now it's at home as well. Also, sometimes now I actually do have to pee. This is ruining my life and making me depressed, I've tried to kill myself because of this and the depression it causes. I'm terrified about my GCSEs, because what if I need to pee during an exam? How can I go to Uni, or get a job? I don't see the point in living, and I know that sounds dramatic, but I can't even leave my house.

I can't remember the last time I left the house not to go to school. I can't remember what it felt like to not feel like this. I can't explain it to friends because it's humiliating.

I really don't want to take medication, but I will if there's no other option. I've tried therapy but it wasn't for me. Anyone with an experience of hypnotherapy or even staying in an inpatient, because I'll do anything to fix this.
this post is amazing, thanks for sharing everyone
I hope you are still here!  I had this exact same thing about 14 years ago and it has just started again for me.  It is frustrating at the very most and I totally understand the 'enough!' stage of it!  It's OK to say 'distracting yourself' helps and it does!  But it is a totally different thing doing it in practice.  I wish I had the answer as I have been here before, going to the doctor didn't help me - it took a bad patch and coming out the other side! to help  BUT there is nothing like that going on now, so why am I going through it again?!  I'm going to try positive thinking - I am fine, there is nothing wrong with me - I can do this and so much more!  Fingers crossed XXX
All: I love you All!  I feel that is important! And it IS!.  Having been here before, love and understanding is a BIG part!  BUT YOU HAVE TO WORK THIS OUT FOR YOURSELF!  And YOU do!  I've had roughly 5 years break from this and YOU CAN do this too, as I can again!  -  I WILL do this again - I WILL GO MORE THAN 5 MINUTES OUTSIDE WITHOUT WANTING TO PEE!!!!!
I got this when I was 15 during my first shroom high. I thought I totally soaked myself and ****** up my brain so I was the only one with this problem. The school year went by and it got worse throughout. Especially during tests and movies or times I had to sit for awhile. Road trips also suck. Idk what to do because its crazy bad like u wouldn't believe. I don't get it at home but it literally has made my life only about that. No one had any clue I am experiencing this condition because idk what to say it is. I want to diagnose it then treat it on my own without anyone knowing. Super embarrassing. I'd get stabbed again if it made the issue go away honestly. Anyone found a cure PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Hi everyone. I know this is an old thread but it's worth it to put my experiences on the table.

I first had this happen to me when I was 15/16 a few months before my school GCSE exams. It was a horrible feeling just being in a huge hall with loads of people and tables. I asked if I could do mine in a classroom where other students who had issues did there's. However it was too late. I never went during an exam but other people did. I just couldn't handle the thought of everyone thinking oh look at him, can't not wait for an hour and a half ect.

After that it continued into college where I only knew one person. It was embarrassing, I would go before class, break, lunch, break and after class. My friends latched on and said I used to 'disappear'. I used to use some excuse but I'm pretty sure they knew.  had in that time been to the doctors and urologist. After 4-5 months I think it was it just disappeared. It just vanished. I was free. I was able to enjoy my life.

However it came back out of no where for the last few years when I was serving as a Cadet. We used to go on duties and practice marching be on parade every week. I don't know how I coped. The worst thing which I always dredded was Poppy Day on Sunday. Where all the local cadets units from the city army, police, navy ect would all match in the street and then stand for an hour service and then March back. On top of that I became the head cadet too which meant that I had too stand in front off all the other cadets and give orders. I was close to quiting but I only had a few months service left until I turned 18.

Again it vanished until a year later when me and my family went on holiday to wales. We live south of London on the coast so the journey was going to be 4-5 hours by car. Again I was dredding it and this toilet in my head issue had come back shortly before I knew. I was okay going there, we stopped twice, coming back I had to ask my dad to pull off at the next motorway to junction as I couldn't bare it any longer. Whilst we were there it wasn't as bad as It had been. Aroynd that time I'd also got a job in my local shop and being stuck behind a counter was not nice. My boss never knew but I did have to sneak to the toilet quite often.

Again it went quiet somehow and I was able to live my life. I became an assistant manager for the British Red Cross and was able to work on the till on my own sometimes for hours on end. Sometimes up to 7 hours without ever needing to go.

Now just recently I've changed jobs and its back again. I'm now a traffic warden walking on the best for 8 hours a day. As I said It had been quite for almost a year and a half. I could last like any other person. The training was fine. It was a week in a classroom. On my first day on the beat heading to work It came back. I couldn't believe it. It was so bad that I had to get off the bus early. It was so bad that I even asked the driver if he could open the doors at the red lights. I thought I was actually going to pee. I didn't. I was fine. I managed to walk to the closet toilet and get to work. I though it was bad then, I could last 2 hours max with my trainer. She was a women so she always went when I did most of the time. I was with her for 2 weeks and a few times I had to go and use the toilet at a mechanics and a cafe. I'm now solo currently on my own doing the beat. I'm able to relax a little more. But it's just made it worse. I feel like I have to go every 30 minutes. Thankfully there are a number of public toilets but it's really embarrassing having to go back again and again. I've been to the doctor again who said it's most likely the stress of starting a new job. So after a month now I'm still waiting for it to calm and go away again.

Lastly on top of that I have my driving test in a few days time. I have to last for an hour at most without going. My driving lessons are two hours normally and it's embarrassing and a nightmare. I feel better when I'm driving though as I know I can pull over when the urge is too bad. I recently told my instructor and he's really nice about it. Because it's so bad at the moment, the worst it's ever been I've actually told my family for the first time. I've also bought 1 pack of adult 'special' underwear. I'm inly going to use 1 for my driving test. I won't probably use it but it'll help me relax and keep my mind off of it. I won't wear then again though because I feel it will just make it worse.

Overall so far it's been on and off coming at me once a year for a few months. Things that have helped though are slim. Wearing cycling/running shorts seen to help a little though as they make it tighter. I will tell you if I ever find a cure but the only one I know if is time. There's nothing you can really do. Just relax. You know it's in your head. I've never had an accident. I won't either. When I feel like I'm really busting I'll get to the toilet, un-zip and then have to stand there for a few minutes usually before anything happens.

Good luck everyone, you many look around and think how can I be the only one this way but you're not.

Have faith :)
Swollentoe commented on franceslee's status
1 hr ago
Amandag78 commented on msdelight's status
OncecleanNserene commented on Tramadol & Ultram...