Anxiety Community
Feels like floor is moving

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Feels like floor is moving

I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety... yet. But was curious if anyone who has been diagnosed, do you have these symptoms ? Basically this happens only when I'm walking, or sometimes standing. As I'm walking, I feel a sudden intense feeling as if the floor just dropped an inch. It's almost similar to the feeling you get when on an elevator and it has reached it's destination, and you feel a sudden jerk, down then up. Another way to describe it is like when your walking on a boat dock, and as you step, the floor is wobbly. I don't feel dizzy like the room is spinning, and it happens suddenly, then is gone after a second. It's quite frightening, it almost also feels like my body just stopped working for a split second, and almost like I'm going to faint. It happened this morning when I got out of bed a couple of times, and a few more times as I made my way to work. It's off and on, sometimes I don't feel it all day, other times it can happen many times in a day. I have been having other anxiety symtpoms as well, including mild panic attacks. Is this a symptom of anxiety that any of you have experienced ? Is there anything that helps it ?
Tags: floor moving, boat, elevator, Anxiety
Yes, I have experienced that and quite often.  You feel like you have sea legs and it is just for a second.  I DO suffer from anxiety.  I would suggest that you try to do deep breathing exercising and relaxation tapes.  Maybe that will help.  Hope you feel better soon.
Yes, yes, yes, the floor moving is part of the anxiety disorder. I have experienced it and it is very common. For me, when I have that moment it feels like my feet are walking separately from the rest of my body. I always worry that I am going to fall over but I  never do.  For my friend, it happens when she is driving and she says that the hood of her car keeps going after she stops the car at a light.

You know what it is?  During a panicky moment your adreniline rushes and your body gets into fight or flight mode and your pupils dialate as though ready for any survival emergency and it causes you to have those sensations.  

It's relieving to hear this ! Not that you are having the same issues, of course, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but it's good to know that it's probably an anxiety thing, and not some other serious disease... which I always think I have. :)
Yes, It's anxiety.  I have all those symptoms you described.
" my body just stopped working for a split second"..I had that feeling a week before i went to ER.
You should eat healthy, not drink caffeine/alcohol, not smoke cig and have enough sleep.  It takes months to recover from it.  Goodluck to you.  Hope u feel better!
yes, i have this EXACTLY as you describe it.  I am not sure what to do about it or how to beat it.  It has been better lately, but if definately flares up when I get anxious.  It is amazing that you can go a couple of days without feeling it, but then the next day you feel like you are going to fall out on every step.
I get that too especially if I am riding in a car it feels like the car will flip.  Times like that I will scream until the car stops.  I haven't beat it yet myself.  
No real point in me saying I do as well cause it sounds like you have all the confirmation you need, but yes...I very much experience this. I have a lot of other weird symptoms too. In fact 80% of my symptoms are head related.....I call it a "drugged up feeling" or if its more like what you described I bunch all that together and call it "Dizzyness" to people who dont have anxiety to understand....but yes.....its not nice at all.....but rty not to worry....I have found no matter how bad the symptoms are...they never last....just distract yourself completely....even if it means jumping up and dancing or phoning someone up.....phone up a comedic hotline or something that will literally completely take your mind off it because you will be like "why the hell did I just do that".....sounds very very weird but I use my own shock method to get through very very bad attacks.....I literally try to shock myself....and shock the Panic Monster......so I will just randomly start dancing or go put on my h year old nephews roller skates and try to skate round the kitchen....sounds amazingly stupid!! but it kinda works..........and use people....talk to people....phone up someone who can make you laugh or who you dont usually speak to and just talk about something....

Hope this helps......***@**** is my email if anyone wants a chat.....because I really feel like ive been through most of the things that anxiety can cause......not trying to sound like im being patronizing....I just havent seen a symptom I havent had ten fold....and im only a youngen :( ...

All the best.
Ok...forgot that maybe I can give out my email lol...if anyone wants it though..im sure I can get it to you somehow lol
I too feel my car is going to flip someitmes...WEIRD!   Anxiety is very annoying...:((
I have bad axiety and depression issues and this summer I was doing pottery and when I would look down at the wheel and it was stopped I could literally still watch the lines inside go around  been on and then off something since then still have not foung the right something aughhh!!!
Yeah it is very strange.  I use to love to travel and could do it anytime I wanted.  My dad was a police officer and taught me to drive when I was 14.  My ex-husband use to threaten me with the car and how he would kill me, ofcourse we divorced.  about 1yr after the divorce I tried to jump out of a moving vehicle on the 80/90.  Before that happen I always noticed an underlying anxiety but ignored it and then the attack.  I felt like I was trapped on a scary rollercoaster with no way of getting off and opened the car door (we were passing a semi at the time). 10yrs later I still suffer and can't afford a psycratrist.  I see a therapist and finally my dr gave me buspar (I'm hopeful).  The dr just gave me that 3 days ago. After 10 yrs, go figure. Any info on the buspar would be great.
I would love to ask you some questions about your feelings.  This has just happened to me exaclty what you describe.  I am mother of 2 very active never been sick.  
I took buspar for about 3weeks and it helped alot.  I'm currently not taking any medications.  Just eat healthy & exercise.  After 7 months, I'm just feeling great.   Do you smoke? drink alcohol/coffee?  If you do, you must stop!

I am  a 42 year old Mum I work as a nursing assistant in our local hospital and run a cake business from home.
With joy I found this web site and your comments. I too have the very same thing. I started last Christmas when we went on holiday to Turkey. I have a real fear of flying but put myself through it  so that we as a family coulld get some winter sun. Two weeks before leaving I went to the doctor due to chest pains and dizzy spells. I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
The dizzy spells, just like to explain were very scary. I had my heart checked out (E.C.G) although my heart beating fast he said it was fine. The flight was good but I was terrified and cried on and off for most of the trip.
After being in Turkey the dizzy spells and chest pains went off and we had a wonderful time. Two days before coming home it all started up again. I spent the last day of our holiday in bed. I felt dreadful. My heart was beating ten to the dozen, chest pains , felt dizzy even when laying down.
hot and cold sweats, shaking. A total mess!!
After getting home  the dizzy spells lasted two days and then went away.
They came back on the odd occasion but nothing to bad.

Well it has all come back again. It started this week. The chest pains, heart racing, dizzy spells, my left arm feels strange at times too , like it is weak, which wears off. I also get a tingle which goes from one side of my forehead to the other like in a wave, this too wears off. Do I feel worried about anything? No not really.. Apart from Christmas is close by and I have lots to do But so does everyone.
Today is Saturday and I need to go shopping for christmas pressents but I worry that I will feel like this again while among all the shoppers rushing about. In my mind I see myself collapse and the Ambulance being called. Am I going Mad. Do you think Kalms would help me relax? Any help or advice would be wonderful. Thank you for reading my comments.
Take care

My symptoms are EXACTLY the same Cincyman.  I had this for a month straight where everytime I would walk it felt like i was walking on a ship that was on water moving back and forth.  It went away for 3 months, so I assumed it was some sort of inner ear thing, messing with my equilibrium.  But about a week ago, the same floor/ground moving has come back, so I'm thinking its something different, possibly the anxiety thing.  I do dip smokeless tobacco and get very little sleep and have a sort of bad diet, so I know those don't add up very well.  Does anyone know if any of those bad habits would cause the symptoms I have described?
I used to dip, I stopped some time ago. Then dipped a can, and quit again. I doubt that's what is causing this, I also thought maybe it was a withdrawel thing from the tobacco. Anyway, about 4 wks ago I started on Lexapro, and I actually think it's gotten a bit better. Certainly less anxiety, this "dizzy" feeling is still there mildly, sometimes not at all. I'll let you know how it goes, supposedly this medication can take up to 6 weeks to work... We'll see if it helps. Also going to ENT for frontal sinus blockage.. which may also be suspect given that my head isn't centered due to fluid in the right sinus. I'm glad that I've gotten help for the panic attacks, and I'm starting to realize that maybe I really don't have some unknown, hidden, deadly disease after all ! Thanks for all the comments.
yeah it feels good to hear it from someone...for the past do weeks i have being feeling the sea legs its a terrible feeling..i feel like as if i am in a dream all day nothing feels reall every thing i feel is so much worse for ex: when im hungry i feel so hungery im going to pass out... ive beenj to the doctors countless times thinking i have somthing seriously wrong with me its so conforting to hear from people experience it. thank you
This is reassuring to read. A few years ago I had a similar experience. Every time I walked I felt like I was walking on a boat. It subsided after a week.

Now several years later, following a period of intense stress and a 1-hour plane ride, it's back. I typically feel ok when sitting or lying though I am quite anxious and depressed.  I am on Prozac 30 qd and klonopin 0.5 bid. I have an appt w/ my psych MD tomorrow - I hope this subsides soon.  
I have those same episodes.  This is starting to happen after I drive and I get out of my car.  Things start moving. I feel wobbly. This weird feeling scares me then my heart starts racing.  I don't know if it is an inner ear problem along with anxiety.  So I start the deep breathing and I take a bonine( for motion sickness) and a valium and it eventually goes away and I start to feel normal again.  This is totally weird.  This happens in the grocery store and I can't finish my shopping... I have to leave fast.   This is been happening about a month now.  I hope it doesn't last long.
Hi i have the same thing , its like the flore come away from you for this one second. I was having few of this terns and when i went to the doctor he said ""or its all in your head "" but i went ferther i went to 10 cleanics in 3 days and found a doctor who said that i head an anxiety and pannic att. and more staff and gave me efexsor xr i was on them befor but stopt and divelopt this simptoms, i didnt wont to go on the pill but had no choise after few month. Now i went to see a natropath and got some herbs which i hope will help me.
Get better soon
I get all thse things also. I get this intense feeling of nervousness and then I statr to think Im in danger and all hell breaks loose. The dzzy is new and I checked my BP 100 times to see if its related. I cant seem to link it. Lows 112/62 Highs with stress or exerstion 140/71 which I think are all fine. How long will this take to pass. I had the anxiety for years the dzzy is newer. Before it was rubbery leggs now its the ground move feeling
I have suffered from the same symptoms.  It feels like your in an elevator that goes down 1 second and up the next (falling and rising).  I must have experienced it about 100 times, it is horrible.  When you get it bad, lie on the bed (on your back) and it feels like your feet are expanding and contracting (its very weird).  Once you experience this, you know for sure that the floor is not moving at all, a little reassuring in one sense.

If you get it really bad and are struggling to reassure yourself that you will be OK, I found that splashing cold water on my face helped a little.

After a while you should start to feel a little less worried when you experience it as you know you are going to be OK.  

Mine lasted about six months before they started to fade away.  After two years all the symptoms were gone.  I had to drastic change my life.  Quit my job and learn to relax and enjoy life a little more (but sensibly).

Like some people say, you will never by 100% again.  Even now, 6 years later, I get mild symptoms where I wake up in the middle of the night feeling a little anxious and have to leave the TV on to get back to sleep.  This only happens in extreme circumstances like change of job, redundancy, health worries etc.

Hope any of that helps.
I have the exam same symptoms. I have been diagnosed with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder). Sometimes when I walk I feel like the floor is moving left and right and my legs feel really weak like I can't take another step or I will fall. I also feel like i have no control over my body and i feel like im going to faint and die. I don't feel the moving sensation as much when I'm driving, is it because the car is moving, I'm not sure. Also, when I feel lightheaded, I feel like I have to constantly move when I'm sitting or else the dizziness get worse.
I have all these same symptoms too. and the where my feet feel like they're really heavy or something. I haven't officially been diagnosed with anxiety...I have nothing to be anxious or stressed over!! It's very annoying.

But fastasian79
-you said you were not taking meds...how is the eating healthy/exercising thing working out? i really want to get over this anxiety naturally.
Hi guys!
It's quite a relief to see that others have also experienced this weird symptom.  To others it might not seem like much of a problem but as you all will know its incredibly debilitating.  My "ground moving" begun just over a couple of years ago - a mixture of feeling as if I'm still walking even when I've stopped, feeling as if the ground is not secure and that sudden dropping feeling as if I'm in an elevator.
It really has become a problem for me.  I experience it almost everyday to some degree and restrict my activities because of it.
Does anyone here know how to deal with it?  Personally I find that closing my eyes or crouching down sometimes helps but any other tips or tricks would be much appreciated.
Best of luck to you all!
I find that putting my legs up and curling up helps relieve the hotheadedness.
*lightheadedness
I don't feel the floor moving but when I stop at traffic lights whilst driving I feel like Im moving backwards when I know Im not. Which then creates anxiety does anyone else experience this ?
Yes I feel the same way while driving. Right when I stop at a red light i feel like everything around me is moving in slow motion, which causes anxiety and makes me want to start driving again to avoid feeling the moving sensation.
hi my name is Jarett im 11 years old i have been felling like the floor is moving i am worried somebody help i dont know wheather its msick or anxiety sombody comment on this
I had a really long flight across the country last week and during my vacation, would experience the floor moving slightly for a few seconds off and on during the day. I do not have anxiety or depression or any pyschological ailments. I had a couple (TIA) mini-stroke experiences many years ago. Since I flew back home, the symptoms haven't returned. It was really weird. Maybe it had to do with all the traveling and time changes and lack of sleep...
I just experienced this today as I was walking to the library for some serious studying! It was exactly how you described it! Just like the floor was lower than I anticipated. It was pretty scary so I looked it up. As soon as i saw anxiety, i knew it had to be connected because i have been feeling extremely anxious lately with school, and relationships, and money issues. Other symptoms for me include sleep paralysis (very scary), and sometimes I pull my hair (more common than it seems), all of which happen more often when stress attacks!!!
I went to a stress management class, and basically the suggestions were to do something different that can take your mind off of what is causing the anxiety. If you have little time available, you can do small things like take a 5 minute walk, listen to a song, draw something, sing, look out a window.what helps me is smiling. Even if you fake a smile it works! You usually only smile when you're happy, so smiling is directly connected to your brain releasing some "feel good chemicals". hold the smile (or a pen between your teeth) for a few minutes and notice the difference!!!
Other, more long term benefits can come from exercising, eating right and getting enough sleep. It's not a coincidence the quarter I took Yoga was the most stress-free one I've had so far.
Good luck!  :)   :)   :)  SMILE   :)   :)   :)
I have just read this forum after experiencing these same symptoms. I feel like the floor is dropping and that I'm going to fall over.  Been to the ER three times and they say I'm fine. So frustrated.  No one understands. But I do have people who seem to care.  Anyways. Your not alone and it feels good that I am not alone in this. Thanks for sharing.  
Do you have low blood pressure?
i feel dizzy every day i feel like im on a boat and its bad i cant travel long in cars if i laugh alot i get dizzy when i go in big places i get dizzy i get realy bad panick attacks dont smoke or drink i work out and exercise it suxs
Just today, I was sitting at my desk and it felt like the floor was moving and my chair was moving.  I have been feeling lightheaded all day.  I mentioned to a co-worker that I felt weird and sort of nauseous all morning.  I thought there was some kind of earthquake going on. I'm glad I didn't ask anybody because they would have thought I was crazy!  Just as quickly as that happened (twice), they subsided. Then I felt lightheaded again and have this headache.  I hope this doesn't happen to me again.  It was crazy.  It felt like the floor was moving and my chair was shaking. I did have a very stressful weekend, and I have been on medication for anxiety so that I'm able to sleep at night. This, however, is the first time I've experienced anything like this.
Did you guys figure this out?  My issues dont seem to surface so much while I come to a stop while driving.  Imagine time and space not alligning.  I am driving, say 30-50 miles per hour going forward and get a body sensation like I am moving backward.  Its pretty crazy and getting increasingly worse.  It is causing me to have mild panic attacks.  I have been breathing through it and focusing on something standing still while in motion to get a grasp on reality.  This helps momentarily.  It feels like I am having an out of body experience or like I am being sucked into a vortex or time warp.  
I completely understand what you mean!  I've described it in a similar way time and time again.  It suddenly feels as if you're not all there, as if you're in some kind of dream land or having an out of body experience.  It's really worrying - especially when you're driving!  Feels like you're kind of drunk or something right?
I have felt it worst particularly in times of stress (although I may not realise I'm stressed), if I'm tired, or feeling run down.
Lately these feelings have become much less frequent for me.  It helps me to consciously get involved in my environment when it happens, focus in on things around you or do something active - stretching in particular has been a real help.  Just getting out of the car, or off my seat, and stretching my arms upward (loosening my neck and back muscles).  Who knows, this feeling could be down to bodily tension!
It also helped me to get a biofeedback machine which allows me to actively focus my mind and relax my body - I bought the emWave if you're interested, you can find it here: http://www.relax-uk.com/product.asp?id=313&sm=3

Best wishes and keep strong - it can't last forever! :) x
This is EXACTLY what i am experiencing at the moment and I am sat still at work too. I suffer from depression anyway and am on medication but have only been having the feeling of my feet moving sideways to the right for a few days now. Also if i turn my head too quickly i feel nauseous. I have had a very stressful few weeks as I had to move out of my home very quickly and have now been able to move back again. I am exhausted, cold, in a stressful job, lost my appetite (very unusual for me LOL) was moving all my possessions back yesterday for 16 hours straight in the pouring rain. And i have a relatives wedding coming up tomorrow so no time to unpack and rest.
A colleague suggested my blood pressure might be high - it certainly feels like it

O.K. then its not just me! LOL I would look around like did anyone else feel that? LOL!! I've been suffering with anxiety bought on by guilt!
I have had the same symptoms for years and they come and go...yes I have always had anxiety issues. I have always felt that it is part of my Meneieres Disease....have all of you seen an ENT? My veritgo/dizziness varies tremendously from complete spinning to feeling like I am on a boat, earthquake. Sitting at red lights is hell...I have been battling this disease for over 15 years.
I also have this feeling I honestly think its from lack of sleep stress from work and alcohol that's what I think causes anxiety and some times I get them really bad I hate when it feels when I'm falling
hi everybody .. i hope this thread is still being looked at.. well i have the same symptoms... but did you ever feel things vibrating when you look at them and then you feel like theres an earthquake when you walk or sit or even stand still? i have that feeling all the time... i am 20 years old and i don't know what to do with my life!!! when i close my eyes i feel like everything is spinning.. when i wake up each morning everything is the same.. things are just shaking when i look at them and the ground and the surroundings shake when i walk..i hate it!!when i walk it feels like my surroundings are shaking uncontrollably ... i had some spells of vertigo before but mild ones.. now i have this and its been almost an year i am having this.. i hope i fond someone who has my symptoms.. =(
oh man i hate when that happens!! One thing i read was to notice how you are breathing if you can catch when it happens and take a deep belly breath. I always think that the floor isn't where it should be and almost fall, i try to take a few deep belly breaths and it seems to go away so i am paying it less attention. I also get that kinda buzzy blank out thing when sitting at the computer and same thing, i just refocus on how i'm breathing.
first time i have every commened on a post. i havee been dealing with this floor boat, spacy, dizzy, brain fuzzy, feeling for over a year now. Test after test with no answer. I have anxitey issues, but i am not always anxious. so I dont understand why i feel this al the time. I have done many self help things like reading books, self talk, therpy, and take ativan, I cant help wondering what is being missed. Its very hard to be positive and not think about it when you are always feeling it.Tent to chande in severity through out the month....Hope for all....Michelle
Omg I'm so happy I'm not alone I'm 18 I play football I have the same thing Idk what it is and how to stop it I can't sit in church long or I get all panicky and it feels like the floor is sliding from underneath me I need medical advice pllllllzzzzz anyone help me

Signed Young And Scared
finally i found someone who feels the same way as me....i feel exactly the same as you spacey,dizzy, brain fuzzy. what bothers me is how can this happen everyday, and i have been feeling it for quite a while, even when i am not anxious...i guess subcounciously we are still thinking about it and that is why it is hard to get rid of it. going to see neuro soon and maybe he will put me more at ease bc it has become very scary....hope to hear from u, maybe we can help each other out...wish you well
According to Dr. Clair Weeks, who wrote a whole book on anxiety the experience is called:

GIDDINESS

Here's the exert from the book:

"Giddiness can be a most upsetting phenomenon. To us, the stability of our world depends very much on seeing it as we are are accustomed. Suddenly to have the impression that the furniture is speeding across the room can indeed be an alarming experience. Giddiness is of two main types. In one, objects we know to be stationary may seem to move; in the other, know to be stationary may seem to move; in the other, we may simply feel unsteady, lightheaded. Our balance us normally maintained by such complex co-ordination between eyes, ears, and eye and neck muscules that the slightest deviation from normal may  make us sway and feel giddy. /so you will appreciate that giddiness may be an early visitor to a fatigued nervous system, although an unimportant one, since it comes only in brief attacks and vanishes quickly with regained composure and loss of fatigue.

As certain small physical defects can cause giddiness such as a piece of wax stuck to an eardrum or a blocked Eustachain tube( the tube that passes from the ear to throat), it is as well to have your doctor's as assurance that your giddiness is due to "nerves" Nervous giddiness is usually the lightheaded type. The nervous giddiness is usually the lightheaded type. The nervously ill person finds himself unsteady, off balance."

The book is called "hope and help for you nerves" It's actually really good.
Does anyone feel like they are on a boat when they lay down in bed to go to sleep? I have felt like that many times while walking and recently I have been having the same feeling when I lay down as well.
I had this problem since sep, 2008.  what is the best otc med for anxiety?  What do u recommend, thanks for help!
Test
ALWAYS VERY LIGHTHEADED!
i'm a totally recovered anxiety victim but i can totally relate to the symptoms. the one thing i hated the most about it was right when you feel it start to come on there is always someone there just trying to ask you 100 billion questions. not that they are hard questions its just bad timing and they are always there,like a bad dream. not the same person either. all you want to do is run and hide or go straight to the emergency room but you want to do it without drawing to much attention. But they wont shutup so you start to get rude like saying no, i dont wont fries just give me my damn burger.lol just playin' but u know what i mean.
I have had a weird thing happening for the past 3/4 years and it is really bugging me. When im at school or in any tall or inclosed building it happens. Two things happen the first is that the room will feel like it is tilting or spinning. Then i will be walking or standing and it will feel like the floor is going up or down. Ive lived with it but it is really starting too bug me. I have 3 ideas of what it could be. 1.I could have some type of brain tumor or growth that could affect my nerves. 2. It could be that i have severe anxiety. 3. I had eye surgury when i was little and the pressure or sight could be screwed up and affect my nerves. I really need some help figuring this out plz help
hi everyone, ive sufford with bad anxiety since i was 19 im now 30 so i no what u all mean, but for the past 3 months ive started to experince the floor moving odd times so i quickly have to grab something so i dont fall only lasts a few second but having alot at the min. also when i go out mainly in town im really wobbly feels like im drunk and really off balance its alful. i found a lump three months ago turns out to be nothing but had this since then, before that my anxiety was mild so i think its for that. i am currently on diazapam to take if and when i have a bad attack but only aloud 14 at a time cuz adictive they use to work but dont seem to stop the wobblyness. ive had a very hard life up to now so anxiety has been up and down also have a bad fear of being sick and as we are coming up to the wintery months this maybe what is causing the destres too. i hope we all feel better soon and become panik free xxx
Oh my god i thought i was the only one! I hate the feeling when your hanging out you just look at someone or something and you get this wierd sensation like a everything stops working and comes back out of nowhere!! And i hate walking or running cause it feels like your going to fall or the floor feels like it drops or lifts up out of nowhere! I hate it! It usually happens when i start to think about it! But i thought it was a bad disease but now that i know im not the only one im gong to try to relaz
I am 14. I just recently got out of the hospital for the exact things you're having. They can't tell me if it's anxeity yet. I feel like i'm on the outside looking in and the world around me is like a movie. I know exactly how you feel. I just can't get it through my doctors head. They all think i'm crazy.:(
ay
I thought it was just a popular in my heels...
I took 1st panic attack few months ago & since then I get all sort of symptoms, like head feels like its closing in or feeling like on a boat or elevator, nose tightens, tight chest sometimes, neck & head pains, eye pains. legs sore, penile pain, when looking at screen too long feel feint. I haven't yet been properly diagnosed with anxiety disorder have spoke to people. The way I look at I either have 10 things wrong with me or 1 thing anxiety or panic disorder, even though I'm 99% sure that's what it is there's always a little doubt that makes you think its something else more serious. BTW I have had blood tests done all clear, prostate test done all clear, urine samples mid stream test all clear, Eye, Ear, nose & throat hospitals just said my nose is blocked up taking Avamys for that.
Wow I love the internet - what did people do before they could type their symptoms into google lol I have read all your posts. I relate to the symptoms described in the earlier posts. I too have the sensation of a boat, the floor moving underneath me or feeling that I am in elevator. Oh it feels good to know that there are people who have experienced this 2.

My condition started in Sep 2011 last year. I had a migraine where I lost vision in one eye for about 1/2 hour. Then over the next couple weeks I had a mild headaches and an upset stomach. Then about a month later I started having problems with mild/moderate headaches and dizzness. The GP thought it might of been hormone related so she tried me on the contraceptive pill. The first pill made me nauseous so I quickly stopped taking that. The GP then put me on a lower dose of the pill. I found that it worked well for a week and an half but then also made me nauseous. I went back to the dr  - still having mild headaches and dizzy spells. She thought my blood pressure seemed a bit low so made some suggestions on how to increase my blood pressure (e.g more salt, more fluid). I found this only mildly successful but thought I would wait to see how I felt when I returned to teach dancing. When I returned to dancing (last week) this condition became alot more chronic. After dancing for approx 4 and 1/2 hours over 2 days I have started to become nauseous and vomitted on one occassion. The sensation of the rocking on the boat is there nearly all the time now when I walk (better in mornings). I have a constant headache which is varies in terms of pain and location. When I described these symptoms to my mum she took me to ER. The dr thought I had a migraine. He has put me on a medication called Largactil so far it has not relieved my symtoms (symptoms) much. I went to my GP yesterday. She was a bit concerned that my blood pressure was dropping quite a bit when I stood up. She has given me a referral to see a neuroglist. I rang the neuroglist as soon as I got home. I can't get an appointment till May 2012 (even as a private patient). Although the secretary has said that my GP can request an earlier appointment so I am hoping she will do that.

I have been nervous about writing my symptoms into google because I didn't want to see any serious diseases pop up. I am glad I did now. I certainly relate to the anxiety. I saw a psycholgist a few years ago and there is a family history on both sides. So that may be a possible??? (bit of a scary thought that I am doing this to myself in a sense). Someone also mention "sinus problems" - that is also a possiblity. I am a chronic hayfever sufferer. So that may also be a possiblity?? I also have poor hearing and my parents complain that I talk really loud - so may also be a problem.

So thank you everyone!!! You have been giving me some things to think about other than the worse case scenarios I have been dreading.
I am also feeling like like the floors moving it really scare me I got it after having my son I got postnatal deplores ion again started to take the tablets and now they reduces it to 10 mg still get anxiety but this dizzy is very annoying is there any thing that can stop it x
its good knowing that I am not alone and i'm not in great danger or something. thank you guys for all the information you shared.
I have anxiety and I get the same sensations as you do.  I was watching the TV show Mystery Diagnosis and this lady had the same symptoms as we all have here.  She had something called Disembarkment Syndrome.  The doctor on the show said it can be caused by anxiety.  It is usually caused by having gone on a boat or plane but it can also be caused by anxiety.  It can come on go or last for years.  I think we all have a bit of this syndrome most likely caused by anxiety.  It totally *****.  I hate that up and down feeling.  
I feel the exact same thing.
I think since its anxiety I think it is potassium deficiency.
All other symptoms match Potassium deficiency.
Only this exact symptom was not mentioned but I think from the comments this would come under anxiety.
Thank you for posting this otherwise it would have been difficult for me to diagnose it.
I need to find out what tests I can do to confirm this.
Hi i am 25 , have been reading all posts i feel 4 u all, i am currently on a road trip in my car , i have in the last week been suffering with the lift and boat feeling as if the floor is moving,first time i have felt it , as i am far away from home i am unsure if i should go see the doctor , i seem to be getting it more frequently as the days go on , i dont want to end my trip  early either , any tips pls , i dont get depression , and am happy cos im with my mates , its getting in the way of things and feels pretty scary at times  , i am slightly nervous about being in europe could this be it ,
I have had the same symptoms for ten or more years. I am 48. It seams to be getting alot worse. The dropping feeling last for min utes at a time. When i get out of the truck the first thing i always have to do is lean on the truck to get my balance back. Been to many, many doctors could be meniers , no its not meniers, could be infection in ear. No infection. When the panic attacts started was going to ER all the time. On prozac and alspraslam for aniety. funny i dont feel like im stressed. After dealing with doctors for ten years ...no definate answer.. going to new doctor friday. We will see
Within the last month, I have developed the sensation that I the floor moves beneath me when I am standing still.  I am a nurse, and I do take meds for anxiety.  This is all new to me, and I am terrified to go to the doctor.  I know it is stupid, considering my medical background, but I just don't want to deal with it, which is stressing me out even more.  It comes and goes, but is happening more frequently lately.  I know I need to break down and make an appointment.  I also suffer from migraine headaches, and think that may be part of the problem.  Any suggestions?
  I posted my problems earlier in this board. I just went to the neuroligist. He has diognosed me with vestibular neuritis. He said it fits all of my symtoms (symptoms). While reading the post allot of you mention anxiety, according to his diagnosis 10% of people will have anxiety who have this. Just something to look into.
i have been dealing with the floor dropping and the unsteady for 12 years. The neuroligist gave me a diagnosis that finally fit. Going for a couple test to rule out tumor..but he says he is 99% sure he knows what it is. I have had two doctors say its meniers and one that says its not and one that told me it was pre meniers. He said it isnt Meniers. I had one Doctor to take yoga classes and that will fix everything.. The neuroligist told me that twelve years ago I had an infection and I didnt get it taken care of then. He says now if you get that type of infection they just bombard you with steriods. I did not do that so he says that I have permantly damages my eight cranial nerve. This is just what I was diagnosed with I hope this helps you.
I have been diagnosed with A Panic Disorder, I have dizzy spells and I get a weird numb sensation in my hands. When I ride elevators I feel like the floor in dropping when I step, it's a very scary feeling. It eventually goes away within minutes, I would rather take the stairs sometimes just to avoid the feeling..
Wow, this is how I felt too, at work today, this has never happened to me before, I was wide awake, and sitting down working on some paper work, (copy &paste stuff, nothing I really have to think on) and all of a sudden I felt like I was going to fall, and like a carpet was being pulled from underneath me, all the while I was still sitting, and I was weirded out and looked around to see if someone else felt what I felt, and everyone else was fine and normal, afterwards for about an hour I felt lightly dizzy, could this be anxiety?
I cant believe i found more people with this!im only 24 & have had this for 3yrs!!!ever since i had my child.iv suffered from anxiety all my life with dizzy spells & tinnitus.i got this sensation of the floor moving (feels like when you step of a boat & you still feel like your on it) a couple of times before my son was born during anxious periods but it went after a month so i just hope as my son gets older my anxiety will get better & it will go.when he was first born it was so extreme that i had it even when lying down so the only way i managed to get it better was to do things i enjoyed as much as poss.i get it every day but for some reason when im outside not in a building i cant really feel it unless really tired from a long walk etc.its really affected how i have been around my child & even cause my relationship to fail as my partner says im a different person because of it.the neurologist says its anxiety..nothing showed up on C.T scan.Hopefully you feel better now since it been 5 years!
Omg so I'm not the only one?? I wish you all didn't have this terrifying symptom, but I'm relieved to know that I'm not dying or something!
I couldn't believe it when I read your post.  Twenty eight years ago I was at work and started to get up from my chair and experienced the same thing.  From that moment on my life was never the same because it was constant and never left me.  It was basically when I walked, however, when I would sit or lie down my head would feel funny and I would jerk.  After seeing 6 doctors and having every test imaginable, once of the doctors put me on Ativan and the sensation completely left me.  I do not know what I have, however, I at least do not have to deal with the symptoms.  Were you ever defininitively diagnosed.  My ENG was abnormal but that was all the doctors would tell me.  I realize I am physically addicted to the ativan but I will take that over that horrible feeling

ronjaaegis110
yeah anxiety related vertigo. It's very scary when it happens. I used to describe it as feeling like I'm sinking into the floor but I like yours better (like the floor just dropped and inch.) Or sometimes when I'm walking I'll get the sensation that my legs aren't there so I'll tighten my leg muscles because I'm afraid I'll fall to the floor if I don't lol
Thanks for your reply.  Does it not make you curious as to what actually brings on the first attack.  I never really considered myself an anxious person, however, at the onset of this disequillibriam, I did become anxious for fear it would never go away and it didn't.  If I do not take the ativan I become totally incapacitated and need to hold onto something just to walk.  One of the ENT's I went to said I had an abnormal gait which did not surprise me.  I felt like I was on an elevator gone wild when I tried to walk.
I was sure something that felt that severe indicated a brain tumor and lived with that fear until they finally did a brain scan.  I still can't get over how many people have this and all along I thought I was the only one.  I would get so frustrated at times when the doctors acted like they couldn't understand my description of symptoms.  Do you take any medication for your disequillibrium?

God bless you,

Ronja
Wow this thread was started 6 years ago, but every post was helpful. I started a new job today, and I have been under incredible stress, not only from the new job, but from a poorly timed allergic reaction to some medication, which culminated on the first day of my job.  Since then I have been trying to get situated and comfortable, but instead, I spent the day grabbing on to desks, walls, and counters as the floor dropped out from under me - all the while trying not to give the impression to my new colleagues that they hired the wrong girl.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this!  I also have access to clonezepam, so if it happens again, I'll try that.
I have felt these same exact feelings and it is comforting to know I'm not alone! I hate to describe it as a "dizzy" feeling, because it doesn't to me feel like the room is spinning.  More like a "motion" feeling, where I feel like I'm walking on a trampoline, or a boat. Also somewhat feels like I'm being pulled backwards.  I am on Prozac 10 mg a day, and also take xanax once in a while.  These feelings tend to come and go.  The first time I experienced this, this "motion" feeling lasted about 6 weeks, then went away.  Now it is back.  I don't understand what brings this on..nothing really has changed in my life in the past few months..it is annoying especially when I'm shopping, and I all of a sudden have a feeling like "I have to get out of here!!"
I am so relieved to hear other people are going through the same thing as me. Noone would be able to tell I suffer from this as I always manage to keep my composure, but sometimes it gets so bad I can't stand it. I have been suffering from anxiety for about 3 years now, and just as I thought I was getting better, these past 2 weeks have crept up on me and I feel like I am back to square one. The thing is, I don't know whether I suffer from anxiety and it has brought this on, or this has brought the anxiety on! I feel like the ground is moving constantly and like I am on a boat, the same as everyone who has been on this thread. I am doing my finals at Uni in the next couple of months and it is seriously hindering my abilities to do well! I am at the point of despair. I have been to see an ENT specialist and they say I am all good, but I am not. Does everyone believe that this is just anxiety and it will eventually go away? I need some hope for the future. I am beginning to worry about what kind of jobs I am going to be able to get in future because of it- I Want my life back! Please reply. Thanks
I have the same floor moving sensation since 3 months now, I am 27 years old and had some bad anxiety and panic attacks. I've had blood exams, brain and neck MRI and ENT visits and I'm fine...But this symptom is still here. The crazy thing is that when I put my skates on, wich a do alot, the feeling is completly gone...So for me it's a proof that it is anxiety and that when I'm skating my mind is focussing on other things (I skate ramps etc).
I do exactly the same problem, i do exprecienced it for almost 3 years. can do somebody to help me to lessen this feeling because i felt very hard of me do such things especially in my daily lives.
how's your feeling today are you totally wellness no more anxiety attack?
i do the same thing that i want to come back my normal life before.
I'm feeling ok, how are you?
How is your floor moving up and down feeling?
Look up Mal De Debarquement Syndrome. I believe this may be what I have too.
I have similar symptoms for almost 5 years. It started with a syncope (black out) one night as a result of which I fell with my head hitting against my wash basin. 2 panic attacks then ensued when I had to rush to Emergency. Subsequent checks on my heart, brain, kidney, liver and etc at the hospital all turned out negative. The conclusion was anxiety. My neurologist wanted to prescribe me medication but I declined fearing that my body might develop an over-dependency on medicine in future. So, I went for acupuncture instead. I have had at least 100 acupuncture sessions since then. In each of the sessions, I am given a 3-day course of herbal mixture. The arrangement works very well for me and I am now almost back to normal though I still see or feel things moving at times. I realize if I would occupy myself with lots of activities, the likelihood of it recurring is reduced substantially. In other words,  a proper lifestyle can help.
Does anyone feel like there is fuzz on your scalp, kind of like T.V. static, or a light numbess? Sometimes the tip of my nose feels numb too. Are these symptoms related? It feels like my brain is sort of detached; the fuzz is both a metaphor and literal. I can't think clearly.
Wow, this is very similar to what I am experiencing. Let me know if anyone else has what I am describing. Basically it started mostly about 2 years ago. I noticed it most when I went on a trip to Foxwoods with some friends. Everything was fine at first but then I got on the elevator and went up 20 floors. I got off the elevator and felt this feeling you all are describing as my body being unsteady and feeling weird, as if I was going to collapse. Well I had to deal with this elevator a couple more times throughout the night and by the end of the night I was exhausted and had a headache and had head pressure. When I went to bed I woke up around 4am with a terrible headache in the back of my head that was much worse when lying down.

I subsequently had this feeling every time I went on an elevator, plane, train, subway, but not really cars. I also have bouts where I have it for no good reason. There is always lingering feeling of it there. It also flares when I am in department stores or waiting in line at starbucks. It is very scary but the thing is that I don't actually "feel" anxious which is why I guess I have always pursued so many tests. Over the past two years I have had:

EEG
MRI/MRA with and without contrast
CT Scan
Cardiac CTA
Holter Monitor
Sleep Study
Stress Test
EKG's
Countless blood tests
Lyme Disease
STD tests
Sinus
Allergies
Colonoscopy/Endoscopy

All of them came back normal. I do have hashimotos thyroiditis but I saw a specialist at Mass General (live in boston area), and he said everything was fine and ranges were great and even did an ultrasound in the office of my thyroid.

I absolutely hate this feeling and it controls my life everyday. Also, when I get these symptoms sometimes I have fleeting tinnitus and almost always I feel some sort of head pressure and aching in the back of my head, mostly back right of my head. Without fail though, while I do have the symptoms generally everyday to some degree, the elevators, trains, planes etc. make it much much worse.

I don't know what to do at this point. I am a 28 year old male and I can't do things because of this and no one seems to have answers. If I go to an event, I don't feel anxious but I definitely have the symptoms. I was at a wedding 2 weekends ago and during the ceremony I felt like I was going to pass out. The feeling was like if your body had an on/off switch, it's like someone turned it off and back on very quickly. Like your body shuts down for a split second. I don't know how it's anxiety without feeling anxious but what other explanation is there? I constantly fear that I am just going to have a stroke or something since it is like a jumbling, split second seizure like feeling. I have seen two neurologists though and they both don't have an explanation. Ugh.....what can I do??
Also another way to describe the symptoms is like a congested and scrambling feeling in the back of my head (back right). It feels like "raw" on the inside, hard to explain.
I was diagnosed with vestibular neuritis 2 years ago.  However, it was explained to me that it was transitory and not chronic; i.e. It would pass. I had a sudden attack of severe dizziness and horrible nausea.  I went to the ER because I could not stop throwing up (and I feared a heart attack).  Spent the night in the hospital and after tons of tests- vestibular neuritis.  I had fully recovered in about a week.  However, now I have the symptoms described by others- moving floor etc. ( I will add chronic sinus pressure)  I don't know if this is a left-over from the vest.neur or what.  I'm retired and really have no reason to be anxious but truth be told-  I am a worrier and I am often anxious.  Maybe this is my answer.
WARNING = WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TAKE THE EFFEXOR!!!!!

I WAS ON IT TWICE.  ONCE FOR 6 MO. ANOTHER TIME FOR A YEAR.
THE WITHDRAWALS WILL BE EXTREME VERTIGO ACCOMPANIED BY BRAIN SHAKES/ZAPS, RAPID WEIGHT GAIN DUE TO INSATIABLE HUNGER.

IM SORRY THIS IS IN ALL CAPS, IT WAS NOT INTENTIONAL.
I've had 3 episodes of this strange 'landsickness' feeling.  Most recent episode, I was fishing off a dock for several hours, almost a month ago.  I did not fall asleep while on the dock, but I did sit with my eyes closed for several minutes.  
The previous episodes I can contribute to withdraws from Effexor XR (2 previous episodes which lasted about 3 months each time).

some days are better than others.  But i feel as though my body is constantly rocking/swaying forward/backward up/down side to side.  Some days, my head, eyes, and shoulders feel very heavy, as if fatigued.  Some days my head feels very lightheaded, spacey feeling and it is difficult to concentrate (such as today, keep mistyping even)  When I get out of bed in the morning, most mornings, I feel okay, but immediately when I rise, I experience an unbalanced feeling, sometimes to the point of mis-steping and i'll reach out for the wall. I experienced a severe light-sensitive migraine which induced vomiting about a week ago. This vertigo-feeling is a bit different than the Effexor withdraws, only in that I do not have a pulsating-brain-fizzle-feeling, brain zaps? (hard to describe, but VERY real).
I used an earwax removal kit for several days in a row.  The dizziness finally went away after a few days of this.  I think i just had a pretty good blockage going on.  I wear ear plugs at night which prevent proper air circulation.  I'm pretty sure going dock fishing that one day induced the unbalance issue.  Theres no way it can be a coincidence.  
I still wear earplugs nightly and the landsickness has not returned.
yes, I feel like that too almost all the time now, some days worse than others.  I've been trying to find a way to describe this my husband etc. but it's hard, you described it well though, that is exactly how i feel.  i have tried to tell my dr before too and think they just think i'm crazy, it's very frusturating!..good luck with this and finding out what it is!
Just joined this site and am pleased to read that other people on this earth have the same feelings and things happening to them as me. I get a sudden feeling I am falling often when I'm walking along it can happen to me anywhere sometimes I can go several days with nothing then it comes over me again. I'm sure this is an anxiety thing as the back of my neck and shoulders are aching I am going for a massage tomorrow to try and address these feelings. It's affecting my life and making me feel quite unhappy.
My symptoms are terrifying for good reason.  I had a panic attack now 3 months ago and have stopped driving.  I was at an interchange getting off one highway and  transitioning to another. This always makes me nervous even though I have done it countless times in the past. Then as I was moving onto the traffic to my left I suddenly had the panic attack from hell.  My right foot involuntarily started to jump back and forth from the brake to the gas pedal and I could not stop it. I was going faster and faster and heading for a massive crash and kill and injure a lot of innocent people in the cars ahead of me. I was going to go at least one hundred miles an hour. Then just as suddenly my left foot stopped on the brake and I came to almost a just went outside to charge my car and again felt my right foot as if it was sliding and I had no control.  I am so sick over this . I was told to go to a psychiatrist and also to get driving therapy. It is very hard for me because I am a lone caretaker after more than 10 years of my husband who has Alzheimer's.   I'm done for.  I want to die.
Thank you.
TristenAsz commented on Why You Might Have A ...
melimeli taking metformin for blood ... Comment
brice1967 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...