Feels like floor is moving
I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety... yet. But was curious if anyone who has been diagnosed, do you have these symptoms ? Basically this happens only when I'm walking, or sometimes standing. As I'm walking, I feel a sudden intense feeling as if the floor just dropped an inch. It's almost similar to the feeling you get when on an elevator and it has reached it's destination, and you feel a sudden jerk, down then up. Another way to describe it is like when your walking on a boat dock, and as you step, the floor is wobbly. I don't feel dizzy like the room is spinning, and it happens suddenly, then is gone after a second. It's quite frightening, it almost also feels like my body just stopped working for a split second, and almost like I'm going to faint. It happened this morning when I got out of bed a couple of times, and a few more times as I made my way to work. It's off and on, sometimes I don't feel it all day, other times it can happen many times in a day. I have been having other anxiety symtpoms as well, including mild panic attacks. Is this a symptom of anxiety that any of you have experienced ? Is there anything that helps it ?
I couldn't believe it when I read your post.  Twenty eight years ago I was at work and started to get up from my chair and experienced the same thing.  From that moment on my life was never the same because it was constant and never left me.  It was basically when I walked, however, when I would sit or lie down my head would feel funny and I would jerk.  After seeing 6 doctors and having every test imaginable, once of the doctors put me on Ativan and the sensation completely left me.  I do not know what I have, however, I at least do not have to deal with the symptoms.  Were you ever defininitively diagnosed.  My ENG was abnormal but that was all the doctors would tell me.  I realize I am physically addicted to the ativan but I will take that over that horrible feeling

ronjaaegis110
yeah anxiety related vertigo. It's very scary when it happens. I used to describe it as feeling like I'm sinking into the floor but I like yours better (like the floor just dropped and inch.) Or sometimes when I'm walking I'll get the sensation that my legs aren't there so I'll tighten my leg muscles because I'm afraid I'll fall to the floor if I don't lol
Thanks for your reply.  Does it not make you curious as to what actually brings on the first attack.  I never really considered myself an anxious person, however, at the onset of this disequillibriam, I did become anxious for fear it would never go away and it didn't.  If I do not take the ativan I become totally incapacitated and need to hold onto something just to walk.  One of the ENT's I went to said I had an abnormal gait which did not surprise me.  I felt like I was on an elevator gone wild when I tried to walk.
I was sure something that felt that severe indicated a brain tumor and lived with that fear until they finally did a brain scan.  I still can't get over how many people have this and all along I thought I was the only one.  I would get so frustrated at times when the doctors acted like they couldn't understand my description of symptoms.  Do you take any medication for your disequillibrium?

God bless you,

Ronja
Wow this thread was started 6 years ago, but every post was helpful. I started a new job today, and I have been under incredible stress, not only from the new job, but from a poorly timed allergic reaction to some medication, which culminated on the first day of my job.  Since then I have been trying to get situated and comfortable, but instead, I spent the day grabbing on to desks, walls, and counters as the floor dropped out from under me - all the while trying not to give the impression to my new colleagues that they hired the wrong girl.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this!  I also have access to clonezepam, so if it happens again, I'll try that.
I have felt these same exact feelings and it is comforting to know I'm not alone! I hate to describe it as a "dizzy" feeling, because it doesn't to me feel like the room is spinning.  More like a "motion" feeling, where I feel like I'm walking on a trampoline, or a boat. Also somewhat feels like I'm being pulled backwards.  I am on Prozac 10 mg a day, and also take xanax once in a while.  These feelings tend to come and go.  The first time I experienced this, this "motion" feeling lasted about 6 weeks, then went away.  Now it is back.  I don't understand what brings this on..nothing really has changed in my life in the past few months..it is annoying especially when I'm shopping, and I all of a sudden have a feeling like "I have to get out of here!!"
I am so relieved to hear other people are going through the same thing as me. Noone would be able to tell I suffer from this as I always manage to keep my composure, but sometimes it gets so bad I can't stand it. I have been suffering from anxiety for about 3 years now, and just as I thought I was getting better, these past 2 weeks have crept up on me and I feel like I am back to square one. The thing is, I don't know whether I suffer from anxiety and it has brought this on, or this has brought the anxiety on! I feel like the ground is moving constantly and like I am on a boat, the same as everyone who has been on this thread. I am doing my finals at Uni in the next couple of months and it is seriously hindering my abilities to do well! I am at the point of despair. I have been to see an ENT specialist and they say I am all good, but I am not. Does everyone believe that this is just anxiety and it will eventually go away? I need some hope for the future. I am beginning to worry about what kind of jobs I am going to be able to get in future because of it- I Want my life back! Please reply. Thanks
I have the same floor moving sensation since 3 months now, I am 27 years old and had some bad anxiety and panic attacks. I've had blood exams, brain and neck MRI and ENT visits and I'm fine...But this symptom is still here. The crazy thing is that when I put my skates on, wich a do alot, the feeling is completly gone...So for me it's a proof that it is anxiety and that when I'm skating my mind is focussing on other things (I skate ramps etc).
I do exactly the same problem, i do exprecienced it for almost 3 years. can do somebody to help me to lessen this feeling because i felt very hard of me do such things especially in my daily lives.
how's your feeling today are you totally wellness no more anxiety attack?
i do the same thing that i want to come back my normal life before.
I'm feeling ok, how are you?
How is your floor moving up and down feeling?
Look up Mal De Debarquement Syndrome. I believe this may be what I have too.
I have similar symptoms for almost 5 years. It started with a syncope (black out) one night as a result of which I fell with my head hitting against my wash basin. 2 panic attacks then ensued when I had to rush to Emergency. Subsequent checks on my heart, brain, kidney, liver and etc at the hospital all turned out negative. The conclusion was anxiety. My neurologist wanted to prescribe me medication but I declined fearing that my body might develop an over-dependency on medicine in future. So, I went for acupuncture instead. I have had at least 100 acupuncture sessions since then. In each of the sessions, I am given a 3-day course of herbal mixture. The arrangement works very well for me and I am now almost back to normal though I still see or feel things moving at times. I realize if I would occupy myself with lots of activities, the likelihood of it recurring is reduced substantially. In other words,  a proper lifestyle can help.
Does anyone feel like there is fuzz on your scalp, kind of like T.V. static, or a light numbess? Sometimes the tip of my nose feels numb too. Are these symptoms related? It feels like my brain is sort of detached; the fuzz is both a metaphor and literal. I can't think clearly.
Wow, this is very similar to what I am experiencing. Let me know if anyone else has what I am describing. Basically it started mostly about 2 years ago. I noticed it most when I went on a trip to Foxwoods with some friends. Everything was fine at first but then I got on the elevator and went up 20 floors. I got off the elevator and felt this feeling you all are describing as my body being unsteady and feeling weird, as if I was going to collapse. Well I had to deal with this elevator a couple more times throughout the night and by the end of the night I was exhausted and had a headache and had head pressure. When I went to bed I woke up around 4am with a terrible headache in the back of my head that was much worse when lying down.

I subsequently had this feeling every time I went on an elevator, plane, train, subway, but not really cars. I also have bouts where I have it for no good reason. There is always lingering feeling of it there. It also flares when I am in department stores or waiting in line at starbucks. It is very scary but the thing is that I don't actually "feel" anxious which is why I guess I have always pursued so many tests. Over the past two years I have had:

EEG
MRI/MRA with and without contrast
CT Scan
Cardiac CTA
Holter Monitor
Sleep Study
Stress Test
EKG's
Countless blood tests
Lyme Disease
STD tests
Sinus
Allergies
Colonoscopy/Endoscopy

All of them came back normal. I do have hashimotos thyroiditis but I saw a specialist at Mass General (live in boston area), and he said everything was fine and ranges were great and even did an ultrasound in the office of my thyroid.

I absolutely hate this feeling and it controls my life everyday. Also, when I get these symptoms sometimes I have fleeting tinnitus and almost always I feel some sort of head pressure and aching in the back of my head, mostly back right of my head. Without fail though, while I do have the symptoms generally everyday to some degree, the elevators, trains, planes etc. make it much much worse.

I don't know what to do at this point. I am a 28 year old male and I can't do things because of this and no one seems to have answers. If I go to an event, I don't feel anxious but I definitely have the symptoms. I was at a wedding 2 weekends ago and during the ceremony I felt like I was going to pass out. The feeling was like if your body had an on/off switch, it's like someone turned it off and back on very quickly. Like your body shuts down for a split second. I don't know how it's anxiety without feeling anxious but what other explanation is there? I constantly fear that I am just going to have a stroke or something since it is like a jumbling, split second seizure like feeling. I have seen two neurologists though and they both don't have an explanation. Ugh.....what can I do??
Also another way to describe the symptoms is like a congested and scrambling feeling in the back of my head (back right). It feels like "raw" on the inside, hard to explain.
I was diagnosed with vestibular neuritis 2 years ago.  However, it was explained to me that it was transitory and not chronic; i.e. It would pass. I had a sudden attack of severe dizziness and horrible nausea.  I went to the ER because I could not stop throwing up (and I feared a heart attack).  Spent the night in the hospital and after tons of tests- vestibular neuritis.  I had fully recovered in about a week.  However, now I have the symptoms described by others- moving floor etc. ( I will add chronic sinus pressure)  I don't know if this is a left-over from the vest.neur or what.  I'm retired and really have no reason to be anxious but truth be told-  I am a worrier and I am often anxious.  Maybe this is my answer.
WARNING = WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TAKE THE EFFEXOR!!!!!

I WAS ON IT TWICE.  ONCE FOR 6 MO. ANOTHER TIME FOR A YEAR.
THE WITHDRAWALS WILL BE EXTREME VERTIGO ACCOMPANIED BY BRAIN SHAKES/ZAPS, RAPID WEIGHT GAIN DUE TO INSATIABLE HUNGER.

IM SORRY THIS IS IN ALL CAPS, IT WAS NOT INTENTIONAL.
I've had 3 episodes of this strange 'landsickness' feeling.  Most recent episode, I was fishing off a dock for several hours, almost a month ago.  I did not fall asleep while on the dock, but I did sit with my eyes closed for several minutes.  
The previous episodes I can contribute to withdraws from Effexor XR (2 previous episodes which lasted about 3 months each time).

some days are better than others.  But i feel as though my body is constantly rocking/swaying forward/backward up/down side to side.  Some days, my head, eyes, and shoulders feel very heavy, as if fatigued.  Some days my head feels very lightheaded, spacey feeling and it is difficult to concentrate (such as today, keep mistyping even)  When I get out of bed in the morning, most mornings, I feel okay, but immediately when I rise, I experience an unbalanced feeling, sometimes to the point of mis-steping and i'll reach out for the wall. I experienced a severe light-sensitive migraine which induced vomiting about a week ago. This vertigo-feeling is a bit different than the Effexor withdraws, only in that I do not have a pulsating-brain-fizzle-feeling, brain zaps? (hard to describe, but VERY real).
I used an earwax removal kit for several days in a row.  The dizziness finally went away after a few days of this.  I think i just had a pretty good blockage going on.  I wear ear plugs at night which prevent proper air circulation.  I'm pretty sure going dock fishing that one day induced the unbalance issue.  Theres no way it can be a coincidence.  
I still wear earplugs nightly and the landsickness has not returned.
yes, I feel like that too almost all the time now, some days worse than others.  I've been trying to find a way to describe this my husband etc. but it's hard, you described it well though, that is exactly how i feel.  i have tried to tell my dr before too and think they just think i'm crazy, it's very frusturating!..good luck with this and finding out what it is!
Just joined this site and am pleased to read that other people on this earth have the same feelings and things happening to them as me. I get a sudden feeling I am falling often when I'm walking along it can happen to me anywhere sometimes I can go several days with nothing then it comes over me again. I'm sure this is an anxiety thing as the back of my neck and shoulders are aching I am going for a massage tomorrow to try and address these feelings. It's affecting my life and making me feel quite unhappy.
My symptoms are terrifying for good reason.  I had a panic attack now 3 months ago and have stopped driving.  I was at an interchange getting off one highway and  transitioning to another. This always makes me nervous even though I have done it countless times in the past. Then as I was moving onto the traffic to my left I suddenly had the panic attack from hell.  My right foot involuntarily started to jump back and forth from the brake to the gas pedal and I could not stop it. I was going faster and faster and heading for a massive crash and kill and injure a lot of innocent people in the cars ahead of me. I was going to go at least one hundred miles an hour. Then just as suddenly my left foot stopped on the brake and I came to almost a just went outside to charge my car and again felt my right foot as if it was sliding and I had no control.  I am so sick over this . I was told to go to a psychiatrist and also to get driving therapy. It is very hard for me because I am a lone caretaker after more than 10 years of my husband who has Alzheimer's.   I'm done for.  I want to die.
Thank you.
I'm Feeling the same way for about 3 years in a half it kept getting woser and worser I could never ride and go places correctly now it's too the floor part. And movie evrything moving.
Do you think it can be something that the drs. , dont know about? It happens to me to like the floor is moving or something cant describe it only like being in an elevator. Help
THIS IS NOT A SPAM I JUST STARTED TONIGHT DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING RIGHT NOW TRYING TO LEARN..THANKS
THE SYMPTOMS SCARE ME TO HAD THEM OVER 10 YEARS AND I AM VERY TIRED OF IT CANT STAND IT
Your comment made me stop and reply.
My Symptoms are EXACTLY like yours!
Are you better now?
What has helped?
I have felt like this EVERYDAY for 4 years!
Been told its chronic fatigue… but now unsure…. and yes, i have to keep moving, fidgeting, shifting my stance as its like I'm going to collapse. A very odd weak/wobble/balance thing…Any movement makes me feel wobbly and dizzy, especially wiping a bench. Walking feels weird... I don't even know how to explain it. Came on after a very stressful wedding lead up and never gone away since :(((  Im LOST for options?!?
Your comment made me stop and reply.
My Symptoms are EXACTLY like yours!
Are you better now?
What has helped?
Been told its chronic fatigue I DONT FEEL ANXIOUS! Im HAPPY… but now unsure…. and yes, i have to keep moving, fidgeting, shifting my stance as its like I'm going to collapse. A very odd weak/wobble/balance thing…Any movement makes me feel wobbly and dizzy, especially wiping a bench. Walking feels weird... I don't even know how to explain it. Came on after a very stressful wedding lead up and never gone away since :(((  Im LOST for options?!?
I HAVE THESE SYMPTOMS FOR OVER  10 YEARS THEY SAY ANXIETY AND I DONT UNDERSTAND IT. I ALSO HAVE POOLING OF BLOOD IN MY LEGS SO I CANT STAND LONG I SIT ALOT.
Hi have also the same feeling... very annoying...
All,
I think I have joined this club this year. It started when I was lifting weight at the gym. First I felt little lightheadedness coming and going back and forth. Then it intensified every day, and exactly after a week I felt so lightheaded at work that I felt my body stopped working for a second and I am going to faint. I went to ER. ER ran blood, urine, and CT scan and found absolutely nothing.  Then the quest started to find what it is. I went through the following tests:
EEG
CT Scan of brain
Cardiac CTA
EKG's (multiple times)
Bayer Test
Countless blood tests
Lyme Disease
Allergies
Colonoscopy
Vestibular test (sound, speech, and balance)
VNG Test
Scalp biopsy (for hair loss)
Nothing was found in those tests, and my doctors were trying to tell my symptom as Vertigo. But my symptom is not Vertigo (Room is spinning). The closest explaining word is serious lightheadedness. When it is pretty intense, I feel like floor is moving up and down (sometime right and left) in a second. Also, I feel tingling sensation on my feet when walking and feel like walking on boat or trampoline (as some other people described). When it is very severe, I have an awkward feel during driving. When I come to stop to a traffic light, I feel my feel is going fall off from the brake pedal, and my hand is going to fall from steering wheel. When I went to ENTs or Neurotologist, they described it as Vertigo. But it is not that. My symptoms matches with what you guys are talking about here. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping. I feel that bed is going up and down or moving right and left. I also wake up with a jerk just when I am falling to sleep. It goes on and on until I am so tired to feel that and then I get some short sleep.  I am feeling good that I am not the only one, and I have to show all your postings to my doctors so that they can understand. Before reading the postings here, I didn’t know how to describe my symptoms. I found the term Sealegs which describes my symptoms. I also get chest pain, ankle joint pain (right leg), mild pain inside my head, and hair loss. I don’t know if anybody else feels them. Sometime loud intense burst of noise feels like hitting a hammer in my brain. I almost started thinking that I have a hidden disease. I try to do meditation, and while meditating sitting cross leg with my eyes closed, my torso leans forward. I bring myself back to normal position and it happens again. I have been meditating for two years now, and I was never like that. I am just trying to be very very optimistic right now. My Neurotologist thinks it could be Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence, but she is not sure yet. I have to wait for the detailed review of my CT scan.
I have had to defend myself with some people that I do not have vertigo been to the ENT doctor to know for sure ! My symtoms keep changing   Starting with feeling like I was on a moving sidewalk or on a ice skating rink trying to walk.   Terrible feeling it would come a go and over time got better but now it's like I'm trying to walk on a boat feel very lightheaded  and I'm swaying. But I'm really not.  Strange thing happen 2 times I have been swimming and feel so much better anyone had that happen to them?  I was not on any meds when it started and have been a Heathy person my whole life.  Ime taking Cymbalta now and Percocet for fibromyalgia wondering it any of those things could make it worst?  Have an MRI in 2 days I am so scared some people think it might to MS   Any thoughts would be so helpful
I've believe something was seriously wrong with me since I was a teenager.  After my first full blown panic attack I discovered I have an anxiety disorder.  Lately its been so Intense, I've been dealing with symptoms everyday.  Chest pain, left arm tingling, ground falling, strange dizziness, spasms in the lower chest, head aches, excessive burping, ect. I've tried medication, but I feel intense anxiety for a couple hours before it works.  Plus I really don't like the potential side effects.  Lately I can't go into public and it affects me at work, I try to hide the symptoms. Has anyone gone through a period of time where it was very intense? If so did it go dormant?  I'm in need for a remedy. Thank you
Oh my goodness! Not that I would wish this on anyone but I thought I was the only one that had these symptoms. It started when I was in 4 th grade and I'm 53 now. When my Mother was alive she took me to every doctor known to mankind with no answers although mine lasted longer then a few minutes and when I was little the only way I could describe it to the doctors is "my body feels like it's moving in slow motion" the doctors now found out that I have an inner ear problem and believe that could be the problem. I believe that could be part of the problem but, not all. I've had 3 back surgeries and have metal in my spine. My worst fear is falling and injuring myself worse. I still have them and it seems the older I get the worst they get. I really wish I had answers because this is scary and I'm tired of being afraid this will happen when I'm out by myself
I'm feeling the same after Nepal earthquake 2015. Is their any solution to it or not?
Glad this thread is still open!

For the past few weeks i've experienced the car sensation.. whenever I stop in traffic I feel like the car is rolling backwards and have to check I'm not! I also feel the floor falling away from me when I'm sat at my desk at work.. after a few minutes I'm fine. I've also noticed everything I do has to have a structure (I'm going on holiday in a few weeks time only to another part of the UK and I've had to plan meals and activities in advance.. I felt like if I didn't plan these I wouldn't enjoy my holiday.. anybody else had this?) My boyfriend couldn't understand why I was getting so worked up over planning the meals and I couldn't understand how he was fine about it! I think it must have been underlying for a while and suddenly it's affecting me physically (the car feeling) I've got a doctors appointment booked next week!
Hi ejtjxo,

I was Also experience this to me. I was driving my car. And i feel that i move backward and i feel dizzy. But my car stop on road while i press the brake
I have been searching and searching for answers. My legs cause me so many problems. I have twitching in them, the floor feels like it is moving, or that it is unsteady. Sometimes when I just stand still my feet feel like they are pulsating up into my legs. My legs from the knees down feel stiff. Sometimes I feel like I cant walk. the scariest feeling though is the feeling like the ground is moving when I am walking. I have been to so many doctors and they all think I am crazy. Has anyone found any relief. I do not know what to do and I almost never want to go anywhere because I am afraid I will get that sensation. Sometimes it will go away for like a week and then come on out of no where.
its a vision problem ive had it for many years now. its eye strain. once you strain your eyes alot. you become uncertain or better yet you body loses that sincronization. the solution. Glasses you will experience vertigo at a more intense level. but within two weeks it'll ween off till it goes away :)
Bumping this thread because I've been feeling this on and off for a few months now, it's the strangest feeling ever. It feels like my body 'drops' inside for a split second. Or as others have said, like you're in an elevator.

It's worse when I'm standing still. It never happens if I'm sitting down, how can it be anxiety if it only happens when I'm standing? After all these months I still can't figure out where it's coming from. If its my brain, heart, ears, eyes, blood pressure or just anxiety. I don't feel lightheaded or as if the room is spinning when it happens.  
Has anybody got soultion for this symptome? its driving me crazy for 3 mothns now....
I started in the last week having the sensation of being in a elevator with eyes open.  I do have high blood pressure and other minor heart conditions--and as a busy mom with a lot going on I feel anxiety.  I worry since I'm alone with our youngest a lot, but reading the above comments it seems this feeling is normal....as I worry it may have to do with something more serious, like a aneurism.  
U might have a vitamins deficiency. Specially D, magnesium, and B complex .that was my reason
What did you do to find out why the deficiency? I don't want to pump vitamins in when I know I get enough naturally. I feel I have an absorption problem and I want to know how to find out why. I was told I was deficienthinking and took some vitamins only to have minimal impact on my levels. Help
I was having the same symptoms. Found out I was deficient in vitamin D and magnesium
Dizziness is very common symptoms of anxiety, it also sometimes due to medication. You can try mediation, breath exercise, it is so helpful for the anxiety and help reduce panic attacks.
I used to have a GP who was a 'retired' heart surgeon from the Mayo Clinic (his idea of "retiring" was that he and his wife moved from Minnesota to Southern Calif. and opened a family practice where he was the doctor and she ran the office... ). Anyway, as a HUGELY overqualified general practice doctor, his knowledge of the human body was amazing. And when I started suffering SEVERE vertigo (dizziness, room spinning to the point that it'd make me puke, also couldn't drive at ALL because it was impossible to keep car in a straight line)... anyway, this magic M.D. gave me a standard field sobriety test, dubbed it as "labyrinth-itis" and advised me to "take time-released niacin and it should go away in a couple of weeks." So I did, and it disappeared in less than 48 hours and I've never had it since... and that was 30 yrs ago in 1986!! So  time-released niacin is a safe and magic answer to feeling disoriented... but make sure it's time-release or you'll suffer the niacin "flush" and turn beet red. And considering niacin is one of the major B vitamins, I bet it has something to do with our balance or neurological processes related to feeling "level"....although I never really looked into it further once I found a "cure." I also would add (based on common sense and general knowledge) that anyone who has a heart condition check with their doctor to see if Niacin is a safe supplement to take. Although I don't take niacin separately anymore, shortly after this incident I added a high-quality B-complex vitamin as a regular supplement to my diet and have been taking it ever since, so that also may be linked to why I never had a relapse.
I have had this in the past.  Still get light episodes on occasion.  The first time, I was under a  lot of stress at work.  I was working in Europe, move the wife and 3 kids over there and was working like a dog.  I was in a market and an earthquake happened.  I looked around and everyone was going about their business as normal.  I was scared.  I started to get these episodes on a daily basis for while.  Once the stress went down, they were less frequent but still happening often.  A few years into this, my daughter and I decided to a 30 day vegan challenge we found online.  Did not do it to cure this, but after a few days of the diet, the feeling stopped.  After the 30 days (actually did it for about 45 day) and returning to eating normal, the symptoms stayed away.  I get an occasional feeling, but for the most part gone.  
Hi, I fell exactly the same.. Has anyone find something that helps ? please help me ...