Anxiety Community
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

I have a question.  I was diagnosed years ago with Generalized Anxiety Disorder with Anxiety Attacks and Agoraphobia.  I had a discussion tonight with a friend who keeps saying I do it to myself.  I have had this along with a diagnosis of ADD as well as Bipolar 2 and then Clinical Depression.  I was wondering if Anxiety is really something that can be controlled by the mind or if it really does need to be treated with medication?  I have remembered since I was 8 that I had worried about everything and having racing thoughts, so I truly believe I was born with this.  Any input on your experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.  I do take Celexa and Valium.
Hi.  GAD is like any other medical condition that requires medication to control the symptoms.  There are cases where therapy has helped. If the anxiety is being caused by an unresolved, traumatic experience from our past therapy can help us deal with this and ease our anxiety. You can also learn thru therapy relaxation techniques and how to think more positively. But for most, the anxiety is still there and must be controlled with medication. People who have never suffered with this rarely understand.  You know how long you've suffered, and still are and if taking  medications allows you to live a happy and fulfilling life......then so be it.  It's like a diabetic who needs medication everyday to control their blood sugar, it's all the same.  Most of us take an anxiety medication and antidepressant, and there's no shame in this.  Just because it's mental does not mean we can control it.  I think all of us would prefer to be medication free, but for most this doesn't happen.  You're dealing with a lot and need to do whatever eases all the lousy effects of all this.  Don't ever feel bad for needing medication for this, it's an illness and if your friend ever endures what you have, he/she will be singing a different song! I wish you all the best and take care!
Anxiety problems can be caused by the foods you are eating and can be corrected by diet or be treated by chemicals.  That is your choice.  Look up on the web for natural foods for anxiety.  MSG has 13 other names and has neurological effects.  Start eating fresh fruits/vegetables, look up the dangers of microwaving foods.  For depression, it might help to start helping others and putting your focus on that...it is build in the human that when we help others, we stop concentrating on what we have wrong inside with negative thoughts and your brain will change to the positive.  Get some books on positive thinking.
TinaR10 off at 2pm today and off fo... Comment
21 mins ago
JGF25 OCD is not about reassuranc... Comment
36 mins ago
jemma116 commented on photo
56 mins ago