Anxiety Community
HELP

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

HELP

Hi I a ten an scared of storms so much that I panic, if there is a risk or a watch I need help I suffer from this

Just think of it like this , your in the safety of your house and it cant get you :) So dont worry about it and take some deep breaths
When there is a storm try and focus on something else.  If you don't concentrate on your fear you won't have the panic attack.  

If it makes you feel better maybe you should talk to your parents about an emergency plan   Set up a meeting place or know where to go for shelter if for some reason you couldn't' stay in your house.  Make sure you have flashlights and batteries on hand.  I did this with my son when he started having a fear of storms and it really helped to ease his mind.

Remember that you are safe in your house but it is nice to have "an action" plan in place for all emergencies.

Keep reminding yourself that you are safe and you will start to realize that you are....
Storms, though noisy and dramatic, really can't hurt you.  The few instances that have been recorded of people being harmed by storms (except by floods) are statistically tiny compared to how many storms there are.  There are methods for desensitizing yourself about storms and keeping calm.  A friend of mine got hypnotized by a psychiatrist and it worked like a charm.  Another way is to play a recording of a thunderstorm, and do relaxation techniques or something that you enjoy, while it plays.

Reading a scientific book on the kind of storm you are frightened of can sometimes make you feel calmer about it because you can see how slim the chances are of ever having a problem with one.

Usually when we have a phobic reaction, it is because the thing (the storm) reminds us of something else in life that feels like a problem, and it is easier to be scared of the storm than of the other thing in life.  Learning a lot about storms might ease the particular reaction, but if you have feelings of not being safe in life, those might also have to be thought about (gently, a little at a time) for the overall panic reaction to totally go away.  Also, time and life changes might make the original feeling (that caused the panic reaction) go away.  

Between working on desensitizing yourself to storms, and learning about storms, and thinking over parts of your life where threat of a big, dramatic explosive reaction makes you feel unsafe, you might be able to put this phobia to bed.

Good luck!!!!!
Jade59 commented on stilltrying1965's status
mishymoshymarcy I AM HEALTHY. I AM HAPPY. I... Comment
CN Tower Flashback
May 29 by Sheri1969
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms