Anxiety Community
HELP!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

HELP!!!

The worst thing that can happen to someone suffering in silence with health anxiety has happened to me! I got a call back on my Mammogram! Went in (I thought I was going to DIE!!) and was told to come back in 6 months to check for changes! Got my reminder letter last week! It said that "They believe the "spots" not to be cancer but, I should return to have them checked for changes! For the last 6 months my life has be AWFUL, full of panic attacks, crying! Imagining how I will react when they tell me I need a biopsy and that I have breast cancer. I can't even bring myself to make my fellow up appointment. I get light headed, like am going to past out or throw up. Most people would be on that s**t, they'd want to know everything is O.K. Not me, am so scared! This has really pushed my anxiety and depression to a new all time high! Am not able to enjoy anything, this crap just keeps pop into my head. I can't even bring myself to opening any of the Bills I got from the Hospital. Can someone give me some advice to make this a little easier or how you would handle this. I don't want to go back on any anti-depression meds. Thank You :)
I know it's easy for someone to say, don't stress about all of this. This is actually not very uncommon with mammograms. Things can show up and a few months later things look different. It can do with your hormones. It can also be a benign cyst which they will either leave alone or remove. My Mom has also had this same kind of scare 3 times and everything turned out just fine, no cancer. One time it was a benign cyst and she had it removed. So, this really does happen to women and there turns out to be nothing wrong at all. Make your appointment so you can get in as soon as possible. I really believe your Dr is right and the "spots" are gone or maybe cysts and not cancer.
So, I go in this Friday for my follow up on my left breast! Am so freaked out and worried. My mind keeps going to the dark side. I started to cry and got sick after I sat up my appointment. I have posted on the Breast Cancer Comm. The ladies there say I should have nothing to worry about. What showed up is common. Dumb me went on the net looked it up, and low and behold, intrammammary Lymph Node, can be cancerous!!! I need to know how to calm down when I get there. So, if anything is wrong am able to understand what's going on. I only hear what I want to. My husband will take me and stay there. I guess what am asking is how do you clam yourselves down in such a situation?
I agree with the women on the breast cancer forum.
If your husband is taking you and you don't have to drive afterwards then you may want to ask your Dr for something to calm you down during the test.
This really is common in women and it turns out to be nothing during their follow up test.
Good for you for keeping up with your mammograms. If, heaven forbid, something is wrong, it's been caught very early and can be treated. I really don't think you have to worry about that though.
Will you keep us up to date on how you're doing?
I agree with everyone, this kind of thing happens very frequently, and is usually nothing.  Try to allow your RATIONAL mind to be in charge of this.  Tell yourself that it will probably not be anything, and it's important for your health to follow up.  Even in the worst case scenario, breast cancer cure rates have gone up dramatically in the past few decades.  It isn't the death sentence it once was, if caught fairly early.  THAT'S why you have these tests done, to catch something early.

You will be just fine.  I too agree with asking about taking an anti-anxiety med beforehand.  Update us!
Thank you so much for your help. It wasn't easy at all to go back for my mammogram follow up! But, I did. Findings where as good as they can get. No change in size or shape! So I can go back yearly!! YES!! Thank You so much for your understanding and talking me down to rational thinking. I so much appreciate your help. Have a Blessed day! Teresa :)
YES!!!
Hi, was drawn to your post due to similar situation.  I found a  red patch on my breast.   When I did self exam, beneath was a large mass about the size of a quarter.  One call and I'm scheduled for ultrasound.  My ultrasound was read by the director of imaging, my PCP, and the surgeon that will excise what they believe to be two infected cysts.  I have surgery and biopsy Aug. 21.  I went online and scared myself half to death with all the possibilities.  If they were harmless, why do they have to come out?  I'm on second round of antibiotics.  Keflex, 500's 4x day, 10 days.  Why isnt it working?  The skin on my breast is still red but less.  It's all this uncertainy I have difficultly with.  And the wait!  You waited so long; I think your a real trooper!  I just have to wait a little more than a month and am freakin' out.  Nursegirl has given me advise in the past; good advise and lo and behold I came to your post and got what I needed; from the both of you.  They have to come out; fact.  Early detection of any problem is key to healthy recovery; fact.  I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  My mind is reeling over the possibilities everyday.  You give me strength.  Thank you for posting your personal experience.  all the best!
Sorry remar, should have read my post first.  You deserve my thanks as well, you have posted personal info about your mom that I use to redirect the bad thoughts into good thoughts. Thanks for posting to moonpiegirl.
lulu747 commented on Feeling real and tryi...
26 mins ago
littlebit667 commented on Feeling real and tryi...
52 mins ago
brice1967 commented on So much ambition, so ...