Anxiety Community
Hard time swollowing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hard time swollowing

O.k I have another concern hopefully someone can answer me I would appricated.Does anyone have hard time swollowing sometimes feels like when u try to swollow ur food it get's stuck in ur throat.sometimes feels like ur gonna choke b/c it's stuck n u can't get it down so u rush to get something to drink right away and sometimes I even have hard time just swollowing my saliva.I feel like like when I try to swollow my saliva it's trying to come back up or it's stuck in my throat.Or this weird smooth swollowing like ur not swolling correctly.Idk I'm just having a Really bad week right now.K that's all.Thanks 4 reading hope I get some answers.Take care everyone
Hi,if the doctor cant find anything wrong wit ur throat,then it is anxiety causing u hard to swallow because stress anxiety can tighten ur throat muscle and make u hard to swallow ur food,just chew ur food slowly n it might help,its a annoyin symptoms but goes away once u dunt stress urself more on it
I have the same problem. Certain foods get stuck in the back of my tongue and I gag until I can move it. I do not eat popcorn, grapes or red/green pappers that are cut up into tiny squares (like in a burrito) as the 'skin' gets stuck in the back of my mouth/tongue and I gag. Same with onion skins.
Also sometimes my swallowing mechanism freezes for a second or 2 and it causes my spit to 'go down the wrong hole' . I cough as if I am chocking and then I am fine.
Quite annoying!! I am very conscious of what I eat and my chewing.

I have had many tests done... camera down the throat, barium swallowing test, etc. I am physically fine in the mouth/neck area.  The docs all said anxiety and to relax.... HA! not so easy. I also eat upright and lean kind of forward. Even drinking water I sit totally upright at night to have a sip. Small bites help and I always have a drink handy for any dry food (like crackers).

Well I actually haven't got my throat checked yet.My appt for that is next month.Hopefully I will be fine.It really freaks me out when the food gets stuck in my throat.Like I'm choking and about to die cuz I can't swollow.SIGH just going crazy with so many different body symptoms.I can't wait to have all kinds of test done again so HOPEFULLY it will ease my mind a little.don't u hate that Energeticmom when they say relax it's ok Shoot if I can do that and if it's that easy man I would, man I don't know what I would do cuz it's not gonna happen.lol.Thanks guys
I am new to this site and I feel better for just having joined - at least you are not alone with your problem.  I have had this swallowing and eating problem for years.  It comes and goes depending on my stress and anxiety levels, sometimes I wonder whether I will starve or choke because of it which adds to the anxiety!  I went to a specialist to help with swallowing again and she basically had to teach me from the beginning.  She started with  liquids, like juice, and water just a sip and then put the liquid to the back of your tongue and let it basically trickle down your throat and this encourages the swallowing action Then she went on to jelly then milk, then pureed apples, just a teaspon and so on, then runny yolk of an egg, mashed potatoes etc.  This ws a great help and gave me confidence that I had no throat problems and it was all anxiety and came from my mind!  SO when I have eating problems, I actually don't eat a proper meal, I put together the things that are soft and runny and give myself plenty of time to get them down. A smoothie is good too.  I do avoid going out to dinner during these times as it's a waste of money and quadruply stressful when everyone else is eating quickly!  If you are not eating at all, try making custard nice and runny, add wheatgerm, a yolk of an egg and a good tablespoon of cointreau, whisk together and pour into a wine glass and SIP.  Goes down really well!!  Hope you find this helps you - it does work.
go to the ent. have them go through your nose down the back of throat with a spiecial; light.no it doesnt hurt.20 years ago i keep having anxiety feeling like somtheing was in my throat. .i went to doctor 5 times they said nothing was there.doc said i was having anxiety.they even did xray.after 3 years i went to ent for sinus .had surgery.ent doc asked me did you feel somthing in your throat.i said yes.i had a piece of scare tissue growing from my sinus that would hang down the back of my throat from time to time. so just check it out.68suezq
Jade59 commented on dirty socks
21 mins ago
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
42 mins ago
Jade59 commented on photo
1 hr ago