Anxiety Community
Has Anxiety Caused Faster Heart Rate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Has Anxiety Caused Faster Heart Rate?

In the last couple of months I have been obsessively worried about my heart rate, checking it constantly. It basically started when a friend had the same thing going on, then I myself become worried. My resting heart rate varies a lot, sometimes in the lower 70's to the lower 90's. Just standing up it will spike quite a bit, then walking around for just a little while it's in the 120's.

My weight is average for my age (17) and last I knew, my blood pressure was 133/66. Before the anxiety really started it was like 153/76 when checking it at the Wal-Mart machine. I took a weights class last year and this is my second year being in it, that's about the most physical activity I get. Something I noticed is around 25-30 minutes of getting out of there, my heart rate will still be in the 120's and slowly subside in the 90's after awhile.

It's gotten me a little scared, though I don't let it get in the way of my normal life to much. One other thing, it feels inconsistent kind of when resting sometimes. I really worry I have a serious problem.
You really need an evaluation by a cardiologist, to include the "full package" of tests. You have an abnormality, and the cause should be identified. Remember that heart rate and blood pressure are controlled by two sensors, one in the left carotid and one in the right. If there is an abnormality in either carbon dioxide or oxygen, or malfunctioning sensors, the heart will speed up and the blood pressure will rise. Ocasionally such problems are caused by simple magnesium deficiency, however don't take any supplements before you get a check up. Other possibilities could be anemia, or a low hematocrit. The problem is not necessarily cardiogenic. They may ask that you wear a holter for 24 hours. I wouldn't panic, but this is something that requires an in-person evaluation by a cardiologist, preferably at a teaching hospital.
Fear not! Go & see your Doc. for a checkup, Anxiety can do all sorts of things to you. The more concerned you become the worse your problem will get. You need to relax & go with the flow probably. You'll have lots of worries to come,along with the good times. Slow down, enjoy your young life, there's probably nothing to be worried about, get that checkup to reassure yourself. Good luck
With respect to caregiver, I don't agree with the use of the word 'abnormality.' There's no indication that you have a physical problem at this point, and the fact that you're focusing heavily and dealing with anxiety over the potential for a physical issue certainly is symptomatic of an anxiety disoder!

As the others have said, you should absolutely consult with a physician as soon as possible. This will both answer your questions as to whether there's a physical problem, and will provide you with peace of mind in the very likely probability that your heart is fine. Among the most common and significant symptoms of anxiety is hypochondria and a racing heartbeat.  Regardless, it's best to go get your questions answered. Living with a mystery is stressful and a misery in itself.
Jennc01 commented on Is this withdrawal?
23 mins ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
melimeli Miss you all, check daily b... Comment