Anxiety Community
Head rush when falling asleep?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Head rush when falling asleep?

Ok...ive had this sypmtom for a while but I never really posted about it and it had gone away but has just come back so here goes:

Basically sometimes I will get extremely tired and when I lay down to go sleep....just as I am about to "drop off" I would get a huge headrush that would start in the head but proceed all through my body.

Sometimes it feels like an adrenalin rush, sometimes like a postural hypotension head rush and other times completely different. And obviously it sort of jolts me awake....I usually get it 2-3 times before I get used to it and then eventually sleep. Or if its during the day I would usually wake and then continue feeling light-headed for the rest of the day. This used to happen almost every other day a year ago...but recently its like once a month.

I am 20, average weight, not on any meds, non-smoker, non-drinker, non caffiene-drinker, non-drug taker. I dont take much exercise at the moment. And thats about it. ps: Im asking because I just had one of the worst "rushes" so wanted some reassurance.

Thanks,

Are you eating well, sometimes low blood sugar(not Diabetes) can make you feel light headed, do you eat enough , or are you allergic to anything, if this happens mostly at night check out what you do in the evenings before bed, as you dont take Meds its not that, but do you take supplements as some herbal ones can do that and also Vitamins if you are taking high doses, supplements are good however make sure you are taking the Dose directed on the bottle.
No its none of that. Plus I dont just get it at night...I get in whenever I try to drop off sleep...be it morning, mid-day or at night. And I have a home blood glucose monitor so Its not connected to that.

***** doesnt it? :(
I get this as well.. i am 21...the only conclusion I come up with is I don't get enough sleep!!!!!! You have to get really tired, don't take a nap, and wait till night and youll sleep right through it...it only happens when i don't get enough sleep and i dose to take a lil nap...im thinking my body wants to rest full but subconsciously I know I have to be awake and it effs with my head...I have some Vivid intense dream/hallucinations!!! I had one today and it freakin hurt! Im going on about5 hours of sleep the past 2 days...thats whats up...sleep paralysis! Blessing an Curse...kinda like it sometimes ha
I am so thankful that you get those, too! I mean, not really, but that means that I am not alone!!!! I have had anxiety for one year, and it developed into panic attacks, too; Every now and then (about one full week out of every month or more sometimes) I start to fall asleep, and then I'll get the feeling like a stroke; My energy will rush to my head and put pressure on my arteries in sides and back of neck; my arteries will actually feel like they are 'burning' and I will then get energy surges and nervousness running through my whole body, like my whole body is a tremor!!!! THEN, my nerves in my brain will spasm; sometimes I feel pressure in center of brain and pressure on my forehead!!!! I feel nervous tension in my neck and head the whole next day, and I feel like my head feels like it weighs 40 pounds!!!! I feel nerve pain the next day, too; when I get these rushes, I feel my heart pounding in my head, too, and my pulse is very irregular and it feels like my heart is weakened and just struggles to keep going!!!! Do you get any of that, too? I am praying that we'll find a cure! My email address is Changa_Sun***@****, maybe we can also swap phone numbers if you want to talk by phone; maybe that will help both of us to share our symptoms with each other!!!! Oh, by the way, I am Chelsea. I am only 25, which worries me because I am TOO YOUNG TO DIE from this!!!! I am just praying that nothing is life-threatening, because it REALLY takes a tole on my whole system WHEN and AFTER this happens; it is like I am fatigued in the morning, like I can't even get out of bed or my pulse races and seems like it struggles to keep going!!!! If you solve this problem, I am praying that you'll share it with me! I go to a natural doctor, who has tried treating me for anxiety and panic; even he is stumped, but he says that my Vagus nerve is being over stimulated; he also says it can either be a magnesium deficiency (which would suggest a pituitary gland problem) or an adrenal gland problem (I think it may be adrenals because I've been overloading on magnesium every day like he told me to, and it has done absolutely nothing, practically!!!!) Well, please contact me either way; I am curious to hear all of your symptoms and compare them with mine!!!! Thank you for posting this; I feel better just knowing that I am not alone in this:)
Hi I have been getting head rushes for 17 years and they have recently been getting a lot worse, for the past couple of months  along with strange noises in my head (it feels like it is going to explode) my arms and legs are flinging in the air.  I have seen my doctor several times over the years and I have been told it is due to stress (which I don`t think I really am) or insomnia and I have been prescribed sleeping tablets, nothing has helped whatsoever.

Butterfly1983  don`t panic your not going to die, as I have said I have been getting these for over 17 years and i`m not dead yet, but I know it really feels like it.

For years it I have been trying to explain to family and friends about these head rushes and not able to explain it properly, but you both seem to be experiencing the same things I am, and it feels like a relief really that i`m not mad.

If you have any solutions or any way to ease them or talk about them at all please do!  I feel quite excited that others are experiencing this  

hi i get that too - where if i get sleepy in the middle of the day, instead of dozing off for a nap i zone out then jerk awake and get dizziness and rapid heartbeat that lasts a long time. at night, sometimes i will get a head rush or what feels like an adrenaline / dizziness rush that will keep me awake. these often lead into panic attacks. this worries me because along with that i have sinus symptoms, post nasal drip, eustachian tube dysfunction and chronic dizziness anyway. i also get weird head rushes that last for several seconds that seemed to be focused on my sinuses. it's probably all related, the dizziness/anxiety/head rushes, in some way, but its really spooky and i went to a doctor about 3 weeks ago who told me i had rhinitis. im on a nasal steroid and a pill and while i have noticed some improvement, i still get some spooky dizzy spells. i wish i could get a complete exam all at once. im sure something would show up then, instead of doctors taking little steps at a time that seem to go nowhere. if anybody wants to talk about it with me, id be happy to chat with you. just send me a message.
I get this too....I can be months without it and then it returns for a week at a time.  Its such a weird feeling.  As i'm about to fall asleep at the very beginning I get this adrenaline rush through my body.  It feels like dizziness, heart palpitation as if your leaving your body......very strange.  It happens for a few hours till I get so exhausted that I finally fall asleep.  I really hate this feeling.
I get similar symptoms too, It usually starts with a feeling that I'm breathing in warm air and just as I am about to drop off I get a strange rush that causes me to draw air in quickly, sometimes I feel it coming and I do it slowly, but other times it jolts me right up and I suck air in quickly, like I'm running out of breath, last night it happened and it took me 3 breaths of air before I actually had a good breath. It scares me alot and other symptoms are chest pains, usually above my left pec, it can travel nearer to my heart and that worries me, but I have had ECG's and my heart seems to be fine, I have had anxiety, and used to smoke alot of cannabis so I thought it was my synapses not firing properly,I have no real idea what it is but im glad im not the only one who experiences this, its such a strange thing to experience, hopefully we can gather evidence together and find a cure. I also thought it might be something spiritual, some sort of glitch during the transfer from the waking world into the dream world. God knows!!
join me to your club, i have had this since my teens and still get it randomly. feels like an adrenaline rush going to my head just as i fall asleep then i cant sleep as i start getting feelings of doom! always get to sleep in the end tho. had been feeling rather strange few days earlier but didnt think anything of it. might start keeping a diary of when it happens. think its probo stress/anxiety related tbh but its not a nice experience regardless.
I get the same thing, and have been on and off for years.  Just as I am falling asleep, pressure on the head, sometimes I even hear screaming.  Never really thought about googling it until last night when it was the worst I can remember.  I do find it only happens to me when I try to fall asleep on my back though?  Glad to hear I am not the only one this happens too...
That's exactly how I would descibe it, it's like your spirit is trying to leave your body or something?
Hi, i know exactly what that is! it's called a "Hypnic jerk" it's pretty normal!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A hypnic or hypnagogic jerk is an involuntary myoclonic twitch which occurs during hypnagogia, just as the subject is beginning to fall asleep. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" made when a person is startled.[1]

Often accompanied by a falling sensation,[2] it is commonly caused by irregular sleep schedules.[3]

[edit] Origins
The neurological reason that hypnic jerks occur is not fully understood, although there are two predominant theories.

Some researchers suggest that as a subject's heartbeat and breathing slow down, hypnic jerks occur as a natural part of muscular transition.[4]

Another theory states that as a subject falls asleep, their muscles begin to relax and cease working, causing the brain to believe that the body must be falling through air. It is thought that this causes people to thrash their limbs in an attempt to catch something or turn oneself upright[4].

[edit] Occurrence
Hypnic jerks are usually felt once or twice per night. More regular, and usually less intense, hypnic jerks often occur during normal sleep. In extreme cases, this may be classified as a disorder called periodic limb movement. The person with the disorder will usually sleep through the events. When a subject is deprived of sleep and is trying to fight sleep, hypnic jerks can occur more often. This normally happens to subjects who have deprived themselves of sleep for longer than 24 hours, or to those who have recently awakened after insufficient sleep.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helped? :)
guess my random mix of days/nightshifts wont help then! just finished two nights fri sat then back on nights again mon tue wed, dont sleep well during the day so i must be odds on for some "hypnic jerks" later in week lol. thanks for info.
im on the same boat....had one today.....they suck!
NO, it is NOT a hypnic jerk, although they are similar.  Hypnic jerks are very short and accompanied by twitching movements.  The condition that most of you are describing is HYPNAGOGIA due to excess adrenaline.  This can have a wide range of causes, from generalized anxiety to an adrenal tumor (pheochromocytoma).  

Talk to your doctor about a medication called a Norepinephrine-Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI) such as duloxetine, which usually alleviates or completely eradicates this condition.
I've suffered from anxiety in the past. For me, it seems to boil down to drinking too much caffeine over an extended period of time. Over the last month or so I've been going pretty hard and my sleep patterns have been off. I've been drinking too much caffeine and feeling the effects (anxiety). The symptom you guys are describing started happening to me a couple of years ago. Only when it happens to me I wake up with this huge head rush and the sight in one of my eyes is gone for a few seconds, like what happens when you stand up too quickly. Do you guys get this also?
I too have had just about every anxiety symptom known to man, and am now experiencing the head rushes like everyone else who posted here.  When they're really severe, I do feel like my vision gets a bit fuzzy too.  I used to be on Buspar, which helped when I was incapacitated by the anxiety, but I now I don't take anything (other than allergy meds, which help but can also make my symptoms worse.)  I started getting the head rushes about 6 weeks ago, and I thought it was related to my allergies (still could be, I guess, my sinuses are always congested, year round)  I've had them here and there in the past, but now it's more regular - I got them every night for about 2 weeks, then they disappeared for a few weeks, now they're back.   It's the same as others have experienced, I'm almost asleep and them BAM! they wake me up, my heart starts racing and then I'm worrying about it which makes it worse.  I usually get 2 or 3 until I finally fall asleep.  I seem to get them every other night.  I'm guessing that's because the rush makes me so anxious, I don't sleep well, then the next night I'm so exhausted I just sleep through it.  But when they're really bad (like last night) I get them here and there during the day as well.  They don't usually slow me down during the day, I'm a busy mom and I exercise regularly, but they scare the heck out of me.  I'm sure caffeine doesn't help the situation, I have a tendency to eat chocolate before bed (stupid, I know.)  My worst fear is that it's some kind of brain tumor, but seeing how many other people experience these (and some for so many years!) makes me feel a little more reassurred.  Still wish they would stop!!  If anyone knows what foods/supplements could help, please post, thanks!
I suffer from this too and have done ever since I started suffering from panic attacks last year.  Although I havent had a panic attack in several months these nighttime rushes have been getting worse.  I'm trying to go asleep and feel as it waves coming over my body.  My blood feels like its almost burning in my veins and throbbing.  Then I'll get these headrush surges that just get stronger and stronger.  As I'm borderline sleep I get woken up by a massive one that feels like an exposion in my head and I almost wake up screaming!  It's horrendous.  It leaves me feeling the physical affects the next day.  Had them so bad last night my head feels like its been burning all day.  I know I'm going to have more tonight cause I can feel the waves already all day today.  I've been to my doctor on several occasions but he keeps just prescribing me meds like Betablockers or diazepam.  I don't want to have to depend on taking medication long-term for this because they just start up again as soon as I do stop taking stuff.  At the minute I'm taking painkillers the odd time to try and settle things but they're not helping.  I really wish there could be a complete cure for this.  I feel for anyone going through the same thing.  I'm just glad I've come across other people suffering from it as I thought I was alone and it's a scary thing to deal with
I have had that to several times. Before this I would hear weird sounds with it.
its not because of tiredness or sleep deprevation because I have it when Im going to bed at 10pm and sometimes in the middle of the night.
its also not a "tic" or "spasm" because my body doesnt jerk when it happens.

Its this weird kind of rush through your body, more in the head, and like the pressure in my ears changes. Sometimes I get warm.
Pretty weird feeling, dont know what it is. Always thought it was the transition from awake to dream-state
Last night it happened again for me.  Just as I fall asleep my body freezes.  It feels like i am awake.  My eyes look around the room and look at my wife.  I can't say a word or move a muscle.  Then all of a sudden everything goes black and I felt like my soul had left my body.  Right before that I felt like I was dying.  I started saying this can't be it.  It is too soon.  As soon as I prayed. I woke up.  This happens every so often.  It is really suffocating when this happens.  It feels so real.
I am having this problem right now. I have been up all night because every time I try to sleep I get the head rush. It makes my whole body uncomfortable. I need to sleep, but I'm up and on the computer because I'm afraid of it happening again. This doesn't happen to me very often. Only when I'm not feeling well to begin with. I've had a stomach ache all night and I just threw up 10 minutes ago. Now my stomach feels better but I'm scared to try to sleep. I haven't been up for 24 hours either. I'm probably not making much sense right now. I'm so tired.
hey wow I have been having these head rushes for about 10 months now its like when im sleepy whether its at night or in the middle of the day and I try to fall asleep I get a real bad head rush or whatever this feeling is...I get em a lot like maybe 5 times until I just get so sleepy and I fall asleep but sometimes if im not in a deep sleep they wake me up sometimes I feel it like all over my body also and my hearing kinda changes for a minute......my name is asia and im 22 and this is so scary I don't wanna die...I have real bad anxiety problems also I can't believe there are others out there going thru what im going thru I thought I was alone...but I know how you guys are feeling and its not a good feeling at all....feels kinda good to be able to talk to people about it and they can relate to you
I have had a few of these before, but I had one last night that was VERY strong and lasted a few hours. It felt as if I had left my body and could walk around and do whatever I wanted. I vividly remember a feeling like being sucked out of my own belly button and floating around my room till I landed on the ground. Is this normal? Does anyone else feel this when it happens? I was scared at first, and then started to accept it and it was actually kind of enjoyable. I remember thinking to myself that I was definitely still awake, but my body was almost in a paralysis state there was nothing I could do. If anyone else has any other information on this I would greatly appreciate it. My email is
Wow so happy to hear I'm not alone.  I have been getting these head rushings/ burning sensations/  tingling for some time now.  At first it was minor and didn't think much of it but now it happening every two weeks and will go on for a good week about every other day and is now during the day.  I am a busy mom so like someone mentioned it doesn't slow me down much.  But at night wow its like I drank a triple mocha and the party is on.

I stopped all coffee intake as well as alcohol and switched to whole foods that was rich in magnesium and it hasn't helped at all.  I know I've had a lot of stress and anxiety and have also worked on that with relaxation and yoga and it hasn't helped.  I have had brain MRI's, tons of blood work and so far nothing has shown up.  I had a new set of blood work yesterday looking at my hormones and a hemaglobin AIC for diabetes.  I will keep you posted.  

I can say the only thing that has helped me when I get these surges is I get up and eat something.  Then it subsides.  
Had these in my 20's and now have returned in my 50's. Feels like I put my head on an electric fence wire. (use to have horses, so know what this feels like) Starts in my head on falling "into" sleep and flows thru my arms in nano seconds and brings me back to fully awake. I am sure it is an adrenaline rush. I have noticed when laying there even before sleep I am super sensitive to sounds that may occur in the room. I feel little "starts" from the noises (adrenaline again, but greatly reduced) Believe it is related to adrenals, thyroid, etc as had similar problems in 20's, with similar symptoms before they started. (joint problems, weight loss, carpal tunnel) and seem to be on that merry go round again. Just think occasionally your hormones go out of whack. Going to take a trip to Super Supplements as I saw some natural adrenal support stuff there and see what happens! Makes u not want to go to bed!
Wow, i see a lot of comments that are different then what the topic-starter explained. But that feeling, your almost alseep...your falling...and then....DING ****!!...WAKE UP. Adrenaline rushes through my body. I have it all night...until my body is so tired i do fall asleep. The first ones are not bad....just annoying. But keeping this up all night the adrenaline starts built up anxiety under my chest and belly. I suffer from sleep apnea and im being treated for it for 5 months now and i was hoping i wud be freed from this problem too. But no. I have it once or twice every year and keeps me busy for a week. What the hell is that????
The feeling I get is similar to what most everyone is describing but my analogy or situation is a little different. It happens as I am about to "drop off " but I would not describe it as a head rush. I feel like I forget how to breath. My body feels paralyzed including my breathing. The best I can describe it is that my mind is awake and aware but my body is asleep. If I don't wake up soon I will pass out because I am not breathing. I try to wake mysef up by moving my hand or foot or something. It feels like death is comming due to sufication and lack of oxygen to the brain. Similar to being in a choke hold by an MMA fighter ( hopefully you have not had that experience). Since this has been happening off and on for 25 years I have seen patterns that cause it. It happens a lot of times when I go to sleep when I am not tired ( forcing myself to sleep). It also happens when I am extremely tired and am almost asleep before my head hits the pillow.
Does anyone else feel this is a more accurate description of what happens to them?

Rich

I'm back to give those who have been watching this topic an update on how I was feeling.  I last posted in Sept. and since then the feelings have almost totally subsided.  I still get the head rush feeling when I am laying awake with some anxiety but for the most part I am certain these feelings I was having was from stress.  I have been exercising more and trying my best to cut down on the stress.   I went back to drinking my coffee too after I realized the lack of coffee wasn't the cause.

To golfer1212 I know what you mean....that too had been happening to me often, it was like I wasn't breathing as I was about to go to sleep then it would seem as if the lack of oxygen was causing my limbs to go numb and tingle.  

I hope this helps some, on top of being stressed then having these odd feelings at the time was making it worse.  I just know for me getting more exercise and eating a healthy diet and not sweating the small stuff has helped my symptoms.

MIT
Originally I thought it was related to vertigo or sleep apnea.  I also have OCD and have thought that it could be related to a lack of serotonin, which some others have hinted to as well.  I am in my 20s and I had it about 5 years ago for 2 weeks or so and literally could not ever fall asleep for more than an hour during that time.  It has just returned again, which prompted the google search.  Described in-depth:

As with most people, as soon as I drop off into unconsciousness, I get extremely dizzy and I am not breathing well.  Sometimes I feel like I’m trying to “snap out” of the sleep and open my eyes, and I feel extremely dizzy then.  Usually after that I breathe intensely, then try to sleep again.  The closer this happens before I completely fall asleep, the less intense.  If I finally fall asleep and wake up a few hours later from this, it is usually a much worse head rush/dizzy feeling.  I have had this happen so badly that I could not move or go to work the next morning due to nausea.  Ironically, when it happened today, I had a nightmare while asleep, where I dreamed I was in my dining room in the dark and someone I know (either me or my girlfriend) was standing right behind me, and when I turned to push them away from me they disappeared.  It was a huge head rush and I had a hard time snapping out of sleep and was not breathing.  Not a scary sounding dream, but it was truly frightening as an experience.  Afterwards I tried to fall asleep and kept getting the rushes as I dropped off, so knew exactly what it was.  I really wish it had been JUST a nightmare…

I’m not really sure what it is even after reading all of this.  Too bad no doctors visit or post on these types of boards, because this seems to be pretty common.  The only thing that I experience that doesn’t seem common for most people is dizziness.  Does anyone else have that feeling?  Have any of you ever gone to the doctor about it and gotten a fairly good response?
BTW, I found this information through a google search, suggesting sleep apnea:

I am a sleep lab technician and your condition does sound like apnea. I think one of two things could be happening. You may either have apneic episodes only with sleep onset (beginning of sleep) or you only notice them with sleep onset and sleep through the rest of them. I see it all the time. I have patients who wake up choking the first few minutes they are asleep then they usually sleep the rest of the night (most with continued apnea, some without).

Since going to the doctor is out of the question right now, the only thing I can suggest is purchasing a pulse oximeter and having someone watch it while you are asleep. They are kind of pricey, yet still cheaper than going to a sleep lab. The pulse oximeter is a probe that sits on your finger or ear and monitors your oxygen saturation levels. If you have sleep apnea, your oxygen levels should rise and fall repeatedly throughout the night. Although, this will be a good indicator, the only way to truly know if you have it (or what type you have) is to have a sleep study done.
I had a similar problem that started about 30 years ago. I went to bed one night and started to drift off to sleep very quickly. As I was almost asleep it felt like a surge of blood, adrenaline or electricity into my head. It felt like it hit the inside of my  forehead. In fact when I continued to have bad ones the inside of my forehead felt sore which doesn't really make much sense (I didn't think you could feel anything there). It also sometimes
felt like I had stopped breathing. It was very frightening and it got worse the more I tried to sleep. I eventually got to sleep but I had bad attacks for the next few nights. The attacks continued but at lesser strength for about 6 years and I still get them from time to time. I found that the only thing that helped was rest. This included trying to sleep in the afternoon or evening so I wouldn't be overtired when I tried to sleep at night. Of course I sometimes experienced it when attempting to sleep at these times.  

I sought medical advice but the doctors prescribed all sorts of sleeping
medications all of which made it worse. I also got sent to three different psychiatrists. A neurologist told me I was 'depressed but didn't know it'. He prescribed anti-depressants. These made it worse just like everything else.

I still get the attacks from time to time and I know noboby will like me saying this but I think alcohol helps.
I too have very similar symptoms as most of you.  I have been reading everything the internet has to offer.  I would love to do a "study" to see if there is something we all have in common that could be the cause.  I am pretty sure anxiety could be the simple answer. But what if we are all taking the same medicine or something, that could be effecting it. Or maybe we are all vitamin D deficient (just an example).  If you are interested in getting to the bottom of this, let me know and I may set up a survey.  ***@****
i also get this feeling, only googled it tonight becoz its happend last night and im actually scared of going to sleep tonight incase it happens again, like you say its like a head rush, for me, i can normally feel it building up just as im about to drop off to sleep, as its building i try and kick myself out of it, by moving my hand, or feet, then usually it stops it, till i drop off again, this happens about 4-5 times before i finally fall asleep, but last night was different, i couldent feel it building up , there for i couldent do anything about it, it just came all over a sudden, reaaly heavy head rush, it was like BAM and i was innit, couldent do anything for a few secs, then i managed to kkick my feet and get out of it.

its really bad, but lookin at this thread im not alone, i also thought i was mad, its really hard to explain,

im really nervous about sleeping tonight, i hope it doesent happen agin
I get it too and it used to really scare me when it happened. Sometimes I have an overwhelming negative, worried feeling which lasts for ages and I would wake up in sweats. It started when I went to uni and I could hear the girl in the room next to me and her boyfriend fighting and i was really worried about it. Sometimes when I don't fight it, it feels more intense. Also when I get it in my sleep I regularly think that I'm shouting and screaming and it feels really real and it's such a relief when I realize that everything's OK. I have also started dreaming that when I'm shouting and screaming in my sleep that my parents come in worried about me and try to restrain me. It's starting to get really annoying and like always is really not a nice experience. I think i really need to change my lifestyle. less coffee, alcohol and try a more regular sleeping pattern. Obviously it's a horrible thing but it is nice to hear that other people get this too, thought I was going mad! definitely feels like your mind is awake but your body's asleep! In answer to eddiekingol's comment about doing some sort of survey i would be very interested to find out what could be causing this. Also, I would agree that alcohol helps when actually going to sleep but probably long term alcohol intake isn't good for it. I drink a fair bit of alcohol, caffeine and have very irregular sleeping patterns so i imagine i'm not helping myself much.
smoke and have anxiety. for the past three months I have been getting sudden head rushes. they last for about ten minutes. I get them standing and laying down. I have been told its stress and not sleeping. the rush is pulsing and when I lie down on my stomach it feels like my eyes are going to pop out. it comes and goes. my head feels like it isn't getting enough air or blood.ñ
I have experianced something simulair. Mine was happeneing while I was taking myself off Zoloft.It would happen when I was almost asleep,and then it felt almost like a dizzy spell,but would go away really fast and then my head would jerk.I was wondering if these were'brain zaps'?
I am back on Zoloft by the way. Feeling much better too:)
I have been getting the same things for the past little while. It started for me after waking up from a bad dream and then going back to sleep, as I start to drift off I start getting a mild rushing sensation in my head and as I get closer to sleep over the next couple of seconds it turns into extreme rushing pressure in my head and then my body gets paralysed. I try to fight it because it feels like my brain is going to explode but I can rarely move and it takes about 10-20 seconds to unparalyse myself.

Im 26 and have been getting these on and off for the past year or so. When I think about it, it happens more when im stressed and my sleeping patterns are screwed up.
Hello I'm Nicole and I too am apart of this not so good anxiety head rush feeling...and it's not a good feeling! I also believe that it cOmes from stress and feeling overwhelmed. I'm taking Ginko Biloba supplements and B12 and it seems to be doing pretty good. I was also informed that Siberian Root helps
oh my goodness i so feel how you feel it is really freaky..reallly freaky
Hi. I was reading comments, and I was laughing at some of the comments.....although this is very serious to us all.  I experienced some of this several times, once last summer in the passenger seat of the car.

I thought I was feeling that way because of the heat.  I was so sleepy, and as i was falling asleep, I felt like I was about to leave my body. Then I awoke quickly.  This can happen very fast.

I cannot deal with that feeling.  I experienced the dizziness upon sleep.  I may have been sleep for maybe less than 5 minutes, at least that's what it felt like.  Next thing I know I felt dizzy and slightly queasy at that same time.  I jumped because it scared me.  It felt like I was fully aware of the onset instead of sleeping.  I jumped because that feeling frightening me.  I have developed a bit of an anxiety regarding the feeling, because I didn't know if Something bad was happening to me.

This feeling is why I don't drink....because it can feel just like this with a slight tipsy.....I don't drink at all now. But I would maybe three times a year on special occasions.  I've been awake and felt the dizziness or float effect.

It happens if I think too much about a particularly stressful circumstance.

anyway. it's the dizziness and float effect that happens more than the jerking. , So I hope we are talking about the same thing.
Omg i am sat here browsing the net about having this rush? and I come across you comment. Last week i was told that i had a benign adrenal tumor.. just goes to show what you can find on the internet.

Thank you for posting this reply

Lorraine
Hi, I have been suffering with anxiety for several years now and i can tell you that recently it has come on strong to now include this panic awakening when between awake and sleep.
Initially i suffered with vertigo, headrushes, pressure in head and ears, cold sweats, thick feeling in neck, balane gone etc and this would go on for ages until i was housebound. after that it would be crazy panic attacks. then i had some pills which helped called citalopram and for a while i was ok. the odd anxious feeling but generally coping. however, now i have all these feelings again only this time i have exploding head syndrome, falling asleep and instantly waking with a start. being asleep for an hour then waking with a start sweating and just staring at something and questioning it, or its position or why is it there...? so mny things just totally shattered. also on top of all of this sometimes when people are talking to me i just know i am going to what i call.... wig out!
i've also started to get these i usually get head rushes when i lay down too long then stand up really quick but yesterday i was trying to sleep i kept feeling this rush in my head but stops when i sit up it was really scary however i did manage to fall asleep .
i'm experiencing all of this i don't even know what to do seems like medications makes everything worse. My doctor even said i have an iron deficiency. Thats what she saw from blood tests, but this feeling from my head just doesn't want to go away especially when i try to sleep
I have this same thing dizzy spell that jerks me awake right as i drift off.. I also get sharp pains in my left side almost feels like a shock to my heart .. I get these on and off few nights a week and they come and go .. Rushed to the ER one night thought i was having a heart attack they did all kinds of tests and said no my heart was fine.. I dread night time and i get scared to go to sleep.. Scared i might not wake up and i have a young daughter and that scares me.
you probably have Lyme disease. these symptoms are related to inflammation of the nerves in your spine and head.
You should research as much as you can and then get treated.
I am 40 years old and have gotten headrushes infrequently for years, as long as I can remember, almost always when I am laying down.  Feels like a rush into my head and makes me dizzy for maybe half a minute or so and then goes away.  I can feel when it's coming on and there's nothing I can do to stop it, although once it starts, I find I can make it resolve more quickly by sitting up, the dizziness will linger if I stay laying down.  I have a 1.5 year old and while I was pregnant, this headrush stuff happened all the time.  OB doctor said probably was supine hypotension which is basically a drop in blood pressure from the large vessels getting compressed by the baby when lying on the back.  But now it's happened again a few times recently and I'm not pregnant.  I'm actually googling because I just finished with the weirdest 2 weeks of having headaches and feeling like my head was under super pressure or stuffed with cotton balls or something.  Will be going to the doctor for an overdue regluar checkup and will ask about this, but it's interesting to see others with this because I can't tell you how many times people have looked at me like I'm crazy when I try to describe it and all google ever shows is it happening when standing up too quickly, but it never happens to me when I stand up.  Will try to get back and post here if I learn anything valuable.
hi!i woz wonderin if any1 as anything helped 2 clear theze rushez!and do people get them when anxiouse or just watchin the tele!!or just lyin in bed!and u u get alot of pressure in your eyez and face!!u av sharp stabbin painz also in your head!!
I'm only 16 and this has recently started happening to me...Like, I'll just getting in bed and start to feel kinda hazy and lightheaded, and if I toss and turn a lot, it intensifies. Every now and then, I will wake up early in the morning and my legs will be numb or have no feeling at all, while still allowing me kinethetic control. It's weird. And sometimes it's really bad; it'll start in my head and go down my spine...I'll feel like I'm drifting, or being pulled somewhere, like being sucked into a wormhole or something. If it isn't too bad, it's kind of fun, and I can think, "CONTROL YOURSELF, BRAIN!!!" and shake it off by being really still. Also, one time it was only a portion of my brain that felt moved, in the very center. It was like a 1x3 cylindrical tunnel that some brain cells were sucked through, and it didn't reach any other part of my body. Anyway. Yeah, glad it seems pretty safe based on you guys. Thanks.
I have all the symptoms you have explained. Sometime I feel like Im dying and doctors say there is nothing wrong with me. Have you had any medical treatment or tests done? How long have you been dealing with all of this?
I am so scared about this. I too have been experiencing some weird head things when I go to sleep.  Back up a few weeks ago; my neck has been bothering me, like a stiff neck.  Wrote it off as tension or stress (I have anxiety issues and times with panic attacks).  I have like numbness in my head here and there, but it is worse when i wake up?  It goes away after awhile but it sends me straight into a panic attack.  It feels so weird my head when im falling asleep, like my head is actually falling????
i am definitely interested
This is exactly what happens to me.  I dont jolt or move around.  Real quick a little back ground on my experience.  It happens maybe a handfull of times a year.  And everytime it happens i will experience it multiple times in a row.  example:  I am really tired.  I have the uncanny ability to fall asleep in about two seconds.  Anyway as soon as i fall asleep bang it hits me for about 4 to 10 seconds.  And about 10 seconds later when i fall asleep it happens again.  Then again then again then i kind of build a immunity to it and i go to sleep.  All of this happening in a few minutes time.  No side effects.  Now here is what happens.  As soon as I fall asleep I wake up in a panic.  The most obvious and scary thing is i cannot move or breath but i am wide awake.  I concentrate on moving any part of my body because as soon as i can make the slightest movement(which is usually my neck)  I can wiggle myself back to safety.  In the mean time i also get a pretty scary head rush that makes me halucinate and makes my head feel like it is going to explode.  But those factors are very mild compared to the suffication and the inability to move.  But everytime it happens it is like clockwork.  Like I said it happens multiple times in very short period.  I always ask my girlfriend to pay attention to me after the first time because i know it is going to happen againg.  'when i am in this helpless state i can swear that i am moving and making noise.  But i am in a acoma but my brain is awake.  Now I dont know what it is but i got a few ideas of why it happens to me.  I am a meth addict.  Sorry guys i aint got no skeletons.  I have been using long enough that i can go to sleep at any given time no matter what.  I always thought it was a combination of being over tired and dehydrated at the same time.  But i looked it up online because I was sick and tired of asking people if they no what i am talking about with no aswers.  But here i am a little late for this thread but i am very happy to have found that this is not as unusual as i thought.  So golfer1212 your description is very similar to mine.  thanks for reading.  let me know what you think.  ***@****
Hi! My name is Christina. I am 18. I also get this a lot. Like right now, as I type I feel my heart pounding in my head and I feel like I am about to die or pass out. It is really a weird feeling and sometimes I really get scared! Especially when I am about to sleep and the head rush begins. I just started feeling this way last month and I do not know what to do. Will these weird sensations ever vanish? Sometimes, it's really disturbing me already with my daily tasks, and I hate it.
Hi! Yes, this is also what I think happens and it scares me a lot. It's like your spirit is leaving your body that is why you feel you're gonna pass out and then you'll die. But then I am still alive. However, it still scares me a lot though. Like right now, I feel my head pounding and I get dizzy. I have also experienced a panic attack once last week. And it's weird.
Man I'm 16 had anxiety for about 2 months but I have really bad symptoms but one is head rushes I almost want to faint. What should I do:(
      I am so scarred to go to sleep because of electric shocks that JOLT me awake at the very instant I am 'falling' asleep. I have been suffering from this for nearly two years, starting a few days following a near death car accident, but we were miraculously safe.
      I also worked the night shift for 5 years and always had difficulty sleeping during the day, and as the years went on I was only getting 2 to 4 hrs of sleep each day (then I'd sleep on my nights off).  One night (shortly after the accident) I started getting Panic attacks, heart pounding, tachypneic, and feelings I was going to have a seizure.  These continued every single time I was falling asleep until I got medicated (ativan&trazadone)  The panic attacks have subsided thanks to antianxiety and antideppresant pills I take right before I go to bed.  But I still wake up in an adrenaline RUSH 2-5 hrs after falling asleep.  It is wreaking havoc on my relationships, my job, my life... everything is jacked up because I can't get a decent nights sleep.  Yes, I tried zoloft, but I was grinding my teeth and felt my nerves were in knots- scarred me further. My labs results are normal, though I have had my share of tick bites and may need to be tested for Lymes, it is all very frustrating.
    Helpful tips that maximize what little sleep I do manage to get are: go to bed at the same time (early) everynight, listen to NLP relaxation- visualization podcasts while I try to fall asleep, no caffeine- ever, no intense exercise before bed, good amount of exercise during the day, no deep/intense discussions right before bed... and now I need a new job that is not as dangerous and intense everyday.    
I get the same thing dude, maybe 1-2 nights a week lasting 2-3 times before eventually passing out.  Its like a feeling of shock and a weird disturbing rush, inability to breath even though you "feel" like youre trying to breath (which could be just your brain playing tricks on you).  I found that shaking my head was the only way I could get out of it quickly.  I know its scary *** hell but I guarantee it has to do with a combination of anxiety I used to have (and still have in small amounts) and a horrible sleep schedule.  Remember, even if you were able to pass out from lack of oxygen, your brain would mechanically re-awake you and begin the breathing process again like a reboot. I think it could also be an instance where you do have excess adrenaline, and when its exerted right before sleep, your body's already in a slow breathing rhythm so it thinks it needs all of a sudden to be breathing quickly (b/c of adrenaline) but responds to it in a shocking manner.  No telling but I wouldnt say to worry too much just try to create a healthier circadian rhythm.  
Interesting! Has anyone tried going with the flow? I have had this 'rush' or 'falling' sensation a couple of times, the 1st time i admit was very frightening. The rush came on just as i was dozing off, feeling very comfortable and very tired, It felt like i was moving fast - dropping, or rising quickly. It felt like i was going to die! At a point i thought 'this is it, im dieing' and actually said a few goodbyes.. however, i stuck with the rush, I didn't jolt out of it, (being overwhelmed by it i guess) and i ended up going straight into THE MOST amazing lucid dream/experience i have ever had.. beautiful bright lights and colours, startling brilliant whites, a strange environment and alien beings - as if transported to another world altogether, while having the feeling of control and being 'awake'. I am envious of all of you who get this feeling regularly, i recommend trying to relax and endure the rush - don't jolt awake, don't be scared (if possible). You will be rewarded. I recently had the same rush feeling while dozing off, but i jolted awake and was so disappointed with myself for doing so! Couldn't get the rush feeling back after that. In my opinion it may be down to the production of DMT when you fall asleep, which your brain produces naturally and what helps you dream. Read up on it. Hope this helps, and I hope it happens again to me soon!
this head rush is scary shyt... i was been feel tingling on the left side of my body any1 feel that 2?
did ever find out what it was?
Hi, I have the same exact feelings as you explained along with some other weird symptoms that continue during the day. Have you been diagnosed or found a cause. Please let me know.
Thanks so much!
   This first started with me about twenty years ago.  Felt something weird in my head when awaking in morning, like a "tick, tick, tick" wave of head rush. Immediately stopped it by shaking my head.  I thought if i let this feeling go, something really bad was going to happen, die or seizure or something.  Then it started happening when i couldn't stop it.  I would get paralyzed, and my head would be like exploding with static, like if you had a tv station on in the old days that was all static.  It would last three to eight seconds til i shook myself out of it.  It may come back again same night, very scary.  Happens few times a year.  Kind of thought they were little sleep seizures or something til i had a sleep test and it happened at the end. But the ekg didn't pick up on it...strange.  I also get a piercing ringing in my ears and head when this happens sometimes. it always varies a little. Then i panic a little and can't get back to sleep.  I tell the doctors this, they think i'm nuts, lol,  Had mri, ekg, etc. to no avail.  Anyone get the ringing in the head with this?  Just curious....
How are you feeling now. Any idea did this go away with time or was any cure done to this. I have similar symptoms hence asking
I get the same feeling of an energy well and then a `zing`, I get trapped in the first stage of sleep and am lucid and really have to will myself to snap out of it. Now my left ear canal is blocked and I think I may have a middle ear infection. So very disconcerting. I get the energy rush when I am laying on my sides, usually when I`m on my back I can fall asleep with out incident but that is changing lately as well...Perpetual state of light headedness and I have had this stuff for 20 years, but really badly in the last 3.. I had an MRI done, blood work, and the Dr`s here in Canada don`t know what to do. I have a sleep clinic appointment I am waiting for this month so once I have had that, i will post what they tell me, if there is anything to post.
Constant Tinnitus Joe. Day and night I have it. You have what i have.
I am going to tell my whole story, as i feel it may be comforting to others to know they are not alone as other have already in this forum, and as well a sorta therapy for me....
20 years ago, while living in Halifax NS, I was just out of Culinary School , full of **** and vinegar and wanted to be the best at cooking and partying. I was always a big drinker so no stranger to the odd hangover, but things changed for me very quickly one morning after a night of partying with Friends. I was walking down Spring Garden Rd. this particular morning, and out of nowhere I started to feel very dizzy and very disoriented. My head was spinning out of control and I had no idea what was happening. I was bumping into people and windows of shops, it was freaking me out, so then the panic kicked in! I was yelling for help and crying and praying to God to help me. It was really friggen awful. Ended-up at the Hospital.in Emerg. of course, where behind a curtain I proceeded to weep for help that I was loosing my mind...It took forever for someone to get in to see me as they were very busy (I assume or they thought I was on a bad trip and didn`t want to deal with me) but I was given a shot of Gravol and i was asleep in a matter of minutes. When i awoke, probably an hour later, i was normal. NORMAL, like nothing happened. i was relieved but very scared and confused.i was so scared that I infarct, walked into an ears nose throat specialists office, right off the street no appointment no warning and told him and his lovely Wife my experience earlier that day. He hooked me up to some headphones and proceeded to do a hearing test on me, that once finished, he  diagnosed me with Ménière's disease. Well I thought that was a little to quick a diagnosis but what does a 26 year-old know anyways right.
     Fast forward to 3 years ago.. I have gone all those years in between with no symptoms of any kind, to wake-up one night with a major head spin, so bad that I was throwing-up (sorry for the mental picture). That whole episode lasted 10 long days, anxiety attacks galore and feeling like I was loosing my mind. I stayed in bed for most of the time as things felt better when I didn`t move my head. It was bad but it to went away. Until last year. I had a similar experience. i awoke to the room spinning, sick and panic. Just awful, as you all know. I have been in a perpetual state of light headedness, vertigo off and on, MAJOR ringing in my ears (tinnitus) and when I walk around, i get those white static rushes at any time of the day, i don`t even have to be trying to sleep. I feel like I am in a daze most of the time. Some days I can actually function for the basics of life but most not. I had to quit my job because of this condition and that really ***** cause it`s hard to live when you are broke all the time, so creates even more stress. Thank God for Social Assistance or I would have jumped by now.. So anyways. i have had a CT Scan and blood work out the wazoo but no one can tell me ****. It`s like no DR`s have ever heard of any of these symptoms in us , but here we are, most of us sharing the same story.. I have a sleep clinic appointment coming up some time this month so i hope I`ll have something more to post as in a direction we are headed in to find out more about this crappy sickness. Lets keep each other posted in any breakthroughs folks! Seems we only have ourselves!
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Paxiled commented on The Dark Side of ...
HollowFeelings joined this community
Welcome them!