Anxiety Community
Health Anxiety knocking on my door

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Health Anxiety knocking on my door

Sorry I just need to vent. About 6 months ago my OBGYN found a cyst on my ovary, said it was a simple cyst, no big deal. Well 2 months ago I started having some hip pain, get an xray, its a "simple cyst" benign. Now I am going back to the OBGYN to get checked because I am so scared its some kind of cancer. My husband had a cyst on his back years ago, no big deal, he didn't dwell on it. Why do I?

I have gotten my anxiety and panic pretty much under control except when it comes to health issues and it gets so frustrating! It can keep me awake at night, have me googling, I was having pretty bad back and abdominal pain after I convinced myself I have some sort of cancer going on.

Anyone else take their health issues to the extreme?  I know once I see my doc today and they give me the OK I will feel better for a short time then it will bother me again. I was in therapy but stopped since my job moved but have made an appointment to go back to see her again. Maybe it is since I watched my father die of cancer 8 months ago, I don't know but its exhausting!
This sounds just like me!! I can't even have a stomach ache without thinking something is terribly wrong with them. I google everything, it's bad. So sorry about your father. Mine just got diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer, which has spread. I'm a total mess!! Hope your appointment goes well.
Hey hon!

You're definitely not alone, a lot of people suffer from some level of health anxiety, some are full blow hypochrondriacs.

Certainly, what you went through with your dad probably affects the health related anxiety, I'm sure!!  BTW, I'm sorry for your loss.

What you have to do is remind yourself (often) that FEAR IS NOT FACT.  Get an index card out and write the FACTS down.  Your list would include the things your doc has told you, the tests you've had done to confirm that is is nothing to worry about, look up how common ovarian cysts are (VERY), add that to your list.  Put as many FACTUAL things on that list as you can.

Then, when you find yourself "what iffing"...get the list out, and read it, over and over, out loud if you have to.  Remind yourself that you are proactive about your health, and that God forbid anything ever happen, it will be discovered early enough to make for a positive outcome.

Lastly, STOP googling.  Seriously.  That's the worst thing you could do!!  You HAVE to exert some self control, and walk away from the computer.

Hang in there sweetie~!  And, vent away, any time!
Thank you both so much! and Ms_C I am so very very sorry :(

Nursegirl I LOVE that idea! What a good way to look at it and think about it, I am going to give it a try. Thanks again for the wonderful tips!
It sounds like you are going through the exact same thing i am going through.   I was having bad stomach pain and feeling nauseas 24 7 back in agust.  went to the doctor, put me on meds, nothing.   then had a scope, and found gastritis, and now i am on acid reducing meds prolly the rest of the my life for that now, but i was still having pain, and nausea.  They did a stomach empying test to check for diabetes, nothing, and then i ahd the doctor order a gallbladder test, and i found it to be a bad gallbladder.  I am over the gb issue now, but the anxiety from it remains.  I was only sleeping about 2 hrs a night for 2 months because i was so wories i would get sick again.  And the sleep issue led me to being afraid to be alone now.  It has been a long batle, but things are gettng better now finaly at last.

The big thing is to relax and see a therapist to learn good copoing skills such as deep breathing, writing in a journal everyday to keep your thoughts in order, and get on a good medicatin regime.  if you need help with anythng just let me know :)
mishymoshymarcy Dont be afraid to walk in t... Comment
1 hr ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
TinaR10 commented on photo