Anxiety Community
Heart palpitations when getting in hot bath?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I've noticed that everytime I go to sit in the hot bath i can feel my heart beat harder a few times and then it goes back to normal.  I'm not sure if its just a harder beat im feeling or a skipped beat.  Anyone have anything similar happen to them?
Anyone?? :-)
is it real quiet when your sitting in the tub? i'm reaching here. if it's quiet then maybe your more aware of your heartbeat. or is the water too cold or too hot maybe? remar
i get that too whenever im in the shower, bath, hot tub. im not positive, but i think it might have to do with the body temp change and circulation? something along those lines...

just wanted to add..
its kind of like jumping in the hot tub after the pool.
same thing. you body is use to the room temp then once you get into a steaming hot bath it throws your circualtion off. it can harm you though. just dont make the water too hot.
What is a normal pulse??

Normal Heart Rate at Rest  
Children (ages 6-15) 70-100 beats per minute
Adults (age 18 and over) 60-100 beats per minute

What your maximum heart rate?
The maximum heart rate is the highest your pulse rate can get. To calculate your predicted maximum heart rate, use this formula:

220 - Your Age = Predicted Maximum Heart Rate

Example: a 40-year-old's predicted maximum heart rate is 180.

Yours would be 198...so stop worrying hun....and yes a hot bath can do that to you...it does it to me and my doctor said it was the bodys normal way of dealing with the change in temp.

Hang in there....AND STOP TAKING YOUR PULSE!!!  =)

Crystal

I couldn't agree with CaliGirl more!  A LOT of different things can cause palpitations....postion changes, temperature changes, stress, ANXIETY, caffeine, smoking, illegal drugs, even having a bowel movement!  

Just trying to illustrate that it is not uncommon for these things to occur.  Remember...us "anxious" people are hyper-aware of every little sensation in our body...and right now, with your new med regimen, you are even MORE aware than normal.  TRY to relax....TRY not to focus on physical sensations so much (I know...it's easier said than done).

Sensations that we may consider urgent, scary or life-threatening...an anxious person would have even noticed.

Hang in there bud!
TYPO!

I MEANT to say:

Sensations that we may consider urgent, scary or life-threatening...a NON- ANXIOUS person would NOT have even noticed.
Hot water makes your blood closer to the surface of your skin, and that happens because the heat will make your heart will beat faster.. happens to me all the time.. they told me this when i was pregnant, your not suppose too take real hot baths when your pregnant, and thats the reason why, it takes blood away from the baby or something like that..
This is normal. When the body is exposed to higher temperatures, the blood vessels on your skin's surface expand (this is called vasodilation). When vasodilation occurs, your blood pressure drops, and when your blood pressure drops, your heart rate increases in order to raise your blood pressure back to normal levels.

This happens everytime I lay out to tan in the sun; my heart goes from about 65 bpm to about 80. At first I was worried, but now I don't think about it as I've realized that nothing bad is going to happen.

You have to understand that your heart is a very flexible organ--it speeds up and slows down thousands of times per day...it is never constant. Just be thankful that you don't have any life-threatening arrhythmias.

hiya i seem to remember a few years ago leggin it to the doctors cause i had bad palpatations they hooked me up to the ECG machine and the first question the doc asked me was if i had jus had a bath?? i was like wot????? apparently a hot bath can make you have palpatations and make the heart beat faster i notice it when its hot weather (very rare in the UK lol)  i can feel my heart banging more and if i wake up in bed and im hot so dont worry too much hun and as crystal said STOP TAKING YOUR PULSE LOL :-B
mele48 That burden you're carrying... Comment
1 hr ago
specialmom, and melimeli commented on melimeli's status
melimeli So I've lost 28 lbs :) Comment