Anxiety Community
Help, trying to find med!

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Help, trying to find med!

I am wondering if any of you who take meds have found one drug or another that doesn't seem to lead to as much weight gain. I took zoloft 10 years ago only to gain 40 lbs on the stuff in 6 months. I was then fat and anxious about that new problem.   I am finally admitting to myself that I probably ned to go on some type of anti-anxiety meds again. I've researched like crazy, and all the ssri's have weight gain issues for most. I also looked at buspar, it seems to increase appetite causing weight gain.  Lexapro seemed like the least likely to cause wt. gain at small doses. Cymbalta didn't look too bad except for the withdrawal looks awful!  I already battle weight gain because of hypothyroidism, and manage to keep my weight barely within the normal ranges now.  The thought of taking anxiety meds gives me anxiety! The side effects seem scarier than the benefits sometimes. But, I am really getting tired of living with these unsettled feelings all the time too.  I read some else say that wine was their favorite drug...I am beginning to agree. LOL. I'd love to hear from those of you who have had pretty good luck with meds.  What you take? caused any weight gain? Were you a naturally thin person to begin with? Dose? any thing else you feel would help. I want to try to take something but cannot get over the fear of it.  Thanks, Melissa.
I have been "doing" paxil and buspar for a long time now.  I do struggle with weight occasionally, but if I continue to eat healthy and not "gorge" myself I stay at a good weight.

If I can give my honest opinion, I would DEFINITELY choose my meds over my weight anyday!  If the med worked, I would just get more exercise and eat less to maintain a good weight.

I would suggest that you USE WHAT WORKS!  Not all meds work the same.

Just my 2 cents!
Avatar n tn
I was on Effexor XR for many months and did not gain any weight.
Wellbutrin is one that typically has the "less weight gain" appeal (in fact many lose weight on it), but many complain of the jitters and insomnia with Wellbutrin.  I didn't like because it made me nervous and gave me palpitations  (skipped heart beats).  Lexapro was the exact oppostite (felt like I'd been tranqulized).  Prozac made me feel car sick, but I didn't gain weight on it - lost weight in fact.  If you do go on an anti-anxiety like Valium, Xanax, Ativan, those are very effective for anxiety but can have tolerance / dependence issues.  Buspar is much less likely to have tolerance issues and is effective for many.

lol on the wine.  Yep, it always seemed to help when I used to drink.  

Jade59 commented on stilltrying1965's status
29 mins ago
steve263 commented on A very inspiring colu...
30th June
5 hrs ago by char1234vass
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms