Anxiety Community
Help with Anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Help with Anxiety

I don't really know how to explain this, but for about 2 months now, I've experienced a dizziness / unreal like things. Ever since it has happened once, everytime I think about it outside of my home, I feel it. You know when you get up to fast and you feel kind of rushed and dizzy? Thats exactly how I will start feeling. But I also begin to feel unreal, as if I am looking out of my eyes, but I am just watching. Its not me moving my body, or anything, and I am just a spectator in an unrealistic world. I feel as if that I don't sit down and snap back into reality, I'm going to have a panic attack. I thought it was from not eating much, so now everytime before I leave, I'll eat a nice meal. But it still happens even then. Then I'll even buy a candy bar or something sweet because I was thinking maybe I just needed some sugar in my body or something. But then, I have a feeling its all in my head, which is what I am really thinking. Because the second I think about it, it hits me, and if I am not thinking about it (which is hard not to once I already have) I feel normal, and myself. Any suggestions to techniques or anything?
Feeling unreal or detached is really normal when you have anxiety. I don't know why it happens but it does A LOT !  Sometimes it may be because anxiety can cause depression which makes your feel detached, or it can be just from anxiety itself. I feel unreal pretty much 24/7 the best thing to do is just to go on with your day and even if you don't feel normal just try to do normal things and keep your mind really busy. Work through the day , because it is a real day your just feeling unreal. So try to go through it as normal as possible . Also for anxiety... kinda too help get through it there are books you can buy that are workbooks and self-help books, and they help you understand a lot more of what your going through, the more you understand it , the more you learn to control it. There's 2 that helped me ones called "get out of your mind and into your life " it's by Steven C.Hayes and hes a phd - And the other one that helped me understand a lot is called "The Anti- Anxiety Workbook" it's by Martin M. Anthony phd, and Peter J. Norton phd.  

But there is a lot of books for anxiety and i mean A LOT ! Try to renew everyday and make it different and better and make sure you stay away from stress always try to have sometime for yourself. Sometimes these strategies can help you to feel more realistic......

TOUCH - Grip a piece of ice- It will be difficult to direct your attention away from the extreme coldness of the ice, forcing you to stay in the present moment.

SMELL- Sniff some strong peppermint or anything that has a strong scent that relaxes you- when you smell something strong it is very hard to focus on anything else, in this way, smelling peppermint can bring you into the present moment.

TASTE- Bite into a lemon- The sourness of a lemon and the strong sensation it produces in your mouth when you bite into it can force you to stay in the present moment.

SIGHT- Take an inventory of everything around you- Connect with the present moment by listing everything around you. Identify all the colors you see. Count all the pieces of furniture around you. List off all you hear. Taking an inventory or your immediate environment can directly connect you with the present moment .

Write a list of things to do everyday, look at positive quotes!

Hope some of this helps if you have any questions just message me <3

Thank you for the fast response. There's the perfect word I was looking for, detached. There are also days like you experience where its 24 hour detachment. I hate it!

I will forsure check out those 2 books. I've been looking for something that will help the feelings I have when I am in that state of mind, so thank you so much for the senses techniques! I will be trying those as well as others :).
My therapist suggested "Get out of your mind, and into your life."  It's in the mail as I speak, and I can't wait to get it!  Good luck with everything, Zhentz, I know how you're feeling.
Ya man message me and let me know how you like it. I'll be ordering it tomorrow probably. Glad to know there are other people out there like me!
I felt the same exact way during my first two months of experiencing excessive anxiety and frequent panic attacks. I also thought that I was not eating enough and so I would carry around snacks. It got worse, because all I did all day long, 7 days a week, was think about my anxiety and panic. In one month I went downhill so much to the point that I could not leave my house. My point is, it will get better. Try not to think about your anxiety or symptoms. I agree with mandapanda528, push through your daily activites. You will soon realize that you have gone hours, then days without anxiety and panic. Keep us posted.
Yeah were all the same ! Anything can happen to anyone at any given moment. But you will always come out on top & be much stronger than you were going in  ! You can get through anything you put your mind too! Wish you all the best <3
We sure are :D Today I had some what of a stronger feeling than normal. I was sitting in class, then without even thinking about it I felt very rushed. I felt everything I usually do, but stronger. I could actually feel my heart beating quite a bit faster than normal, and I felt scared in a way. I found that a breathing technique calms it down temporarily to let me get focused, though it would come and go in waves.
Yeah sometimes breathing can work but other times it's just talking to yourself or taking a minute to realize that everything is going to be OK. There are good days and there are bad days , there are days you can deal with it better than others and days you feel hopeless, but just remember through ups and downs there's always ups, so you can always get through anything just for those up moments and happy times. Like today i feel really ****** and depressed but tomorrow i might be fine and feel normal who knows. I hope you are doing good let me know how it's going. And how you like the book if you get it.
Those are things that definitely helped. I am the same way. One day I can be the happiest there is, the next, I'm depressed and just want to be left alone.
Though last weekend, I was at a party. I was having tons of fun, and then it hit me.. It was a bad one that I was not prepared for. Though I fought through it, and told myself that I'm here, at a party, having one of the best nights of my life, and it clicked and I was fine almost instantly after that. The thought of unrealization was gone. I felt very accomplished that night :)
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
curiosityb ok Comment
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Nov 27