Anxiety Community
Help with zoloft? Do I need it? Will it help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

5 years of terrible stress from work, custody issues, fertility struggles and a near death experience when my tubal pregnancy ruptured have taken their toll on me.  I haven't slept through the night in years.  I've woken up with panic attacks.  And then last summer I pretty much lost control of everything... Dizzy, throwing up a lot, migraines, anxiety, pain all over.  After a few months off work and resting I started to become a bit agoraphobic. my dr feels I have an anxiety disorder/PTSD/depression.

I've been terrified of meds my whole life and so I started looking into all the natural ways to help. I've done meditation take suppliemnts, eat healthy, do yoga and many other things.  This has helped me to a point that I am now going out and socializing with friends, I can eat in restaurants And shop in the grocery store without fleeing... However when in crowds I still struggle with anxiety and start feeling faint and dizzy. I have taken .5 mg of ativan on an as needed basis.  I'm soooosed to start taking .25 mg of zoloft (should have started months ago really) but I'm terrified of taking this.

Any tips to help make this more comfortable and what I should expect from it?
Yeah!  I concoured my fear and swallowed my first zoloft pill after dinner tonight.  So far I'm still terrified  BUT nothing terrible has happened.  I didn't really expect any side effects to start for at least a few days.  So far so good.  
I pray that This will work and take away my remaining anxiety so that I can have my life back! And please let any side effects be minimal so that I can continue to take this medicine
I really hope this med works for you too. Many people do very well on it. If you do get any start up side effects try not to worry. You might have a little nausea and headaches the first few days.
Keep us up to date on how you're doing.
Mind if I ask what natural supplements you tried? I'm looking to start some supplements to see if they help. I heard Magnesium + Turine +B6 helps. Have you tried that combo? I'm interested in trying that.
I agree with ramar, try not to worry if you do get side effects. I had some start up difficulties, but with time it got better. Given the symptoms you describe, I think you should give these meds a shot. Best of luck!
Thanks for your support.  It really does help knowing that so many other people have been in this spot, and I'm not alone in it.  After suffering for the last 6 months I finally told my aunt (who's a nurse). That's when she told me that 3 of my aunts, 4 of my cousins and my grandma all had major anxiety disorders and needed meds.  Which would have been nice to know moths ago lol.

The vitamins I take at a potent vitamin b combo, omega 3 and vitamin c with breakfast.  Then a probiotic with dinner.  And finally calcium, magnesium and vitamin d at bedtime.  They definitely helped a bit, bit I still have needed more help.  
I'm so sorry you've been struggling!  But you're in a great place for support.

I, too, was very leery of taking medication.  But I'm on day 140ish of Zoloft, and when I tell you it changed my life, it so definitely did.  

One thing I can tell you - if you start experiencing side effects, try to hang in there.  Some people experience side effects, others don't.  Zoloft can take up to 6 weeks to reach full effectiveness in our bodies.  So if you do - and you might not! - just try to power through them.  There is freedom on the other side!

It sounds like you have a lot of other great coping strategies - good for you!  The important thing to recognize is that medication is just one tool available for us - you've got many others that you're using, which I think will help you greatly.

Let us know how you're doing - don't forget to keep your dr. in the loop on how you're responding, too.
Thanks for he reply on the vitamins. Im looking to start Magnesium Glyciate, Taurine, And Vitamin B.

Hope all goes well for you!
No problem. The calcium magnesium and vitamin d that I take are all in one bottle of liquid form.  It needs to be kept refrigerated and I find it helps with sleep too.  I don't know much about taurine but will look into that and see what it has to offer :)

Oh and I'm now 2 days in for my zoloft start up.  My tummy was upset this morning, but nothing major.  I was also super nervous all day but that more likely me being afraid of the zoloft, rather then an effect from it
Tonight will be my 4th dose of zoloft... And my anxiety has been at me all day today.  I just took .5 mg of ativan to take the edge off (so far no relief.). I've been told that the 1st two weeks are the toughest, and so far things have gone smoothly... But it seems that today it's changing.  Any tips to help get me through this.  I'd love to hear some zoloft success stories and also when things started to get better thx
Hartg Finally getting some sleep Comment
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy Sometimes its better to ign... Comment
sickness with anxiety
2 hrs ago by xiaa