Anxiety Community
Help.."mini" panic attacks as i fall asleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hi, i am a 23 year old man whose had bad anxiety and panic attacks for a while now. I found a method that has pretty much eliminated my panic attacks, every once and a while ill have a panic attack but lately ive been having these what i call mini panic attacks almost right after falling asleep. literally a couple minutes after. its almost the same feeling as a panic attack  normally would be with the drop in the stomach and adrenalin rush then the rapid heartbeat. sometimes they happen once and sometimes they happen multiple times in the same night. I rarely(only once or twice) have waken up in the middle of the night with them, only right after i kind of drift off it hits me like a frieght-train. I have had my anxiety and panic attacks under control for a while now but these new sleep feelings are drivin me crazy and bringing up some of those feelings i thought id kind of left behind... =(  any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you!
Hey im only 16 and i have the same problem ill be just about to go to sleep and all of a sudden for no reoson i start panicing or ill be sleepin and i have a panic attack in my sleep and sometimes i feel like im strugglin to wake up like i cant breath then once i wake up i have a hard time fallin asleep because i thappens more then once
i hear you its tough... and it really freaks you out.. makes you wanna not go back to sleep. I waited up til 7am the other day cause i was freakin out so bad and didnt want to die in my sleep which is the anxiety kickin back in and that sucks cause ive been doin a good job letting the anxiety drift away from me for the last year.. but right now all i can say is im with you its a terrible feeling id love to have an answer for you and I but thats what im here for. =)  i mean at the very least we tire ourselves out worrying about it enough to fall asleep.. =)  hopefully we will get some feedback here as to whats happening but for now dont let it control you i know its scary and im a bit worried myself but the one thing i learned about anxiety and panic attacks is the more you think about it the worse it gets ive got a really good method that helped me out a lot during my major panic/anxiety days ill send it to you if you drop me an email @ your_kiss_kills***@**** cause i know the feeling... good luck with the night issues.. if i hear anything ill let you know here and if you hear anything that makes it a bit better let me know ..
at yahoo since it wont let me post  your  kiss kills at yahoo dot com
sorry for the extra posts but make sure you include the underscores after your and kiss.
im 16 years old as well, and i just tried to fall asleep and i did for about 10 minutes and i woke up in this terrible panic and i couldnt breathe and i literally felt like my heart was going to stop.  so i tried going back but it continuisly keeps happening.  i dont know what to do anymore ):
im also 23 and have had sever panic attacks. i take 25mg Zoloft and have them under control. but i do wake sometimes in the night and have these mini attacks. mine happen right before i wake up for good for the day. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM is the Derealization that i feel on a day to day bases. this is the only thing now that sepereates me from total freedom of this panic disorder. joe barry program has helped me dedfeat the fear of the attack but i still get genereal anxiety and it comes from the Derealization. if ANYBODy and i mean ANTBODY knows how to get rid of this derealizaton please email me at ***@****. i see the light at the end of the tunnel and once the drealization feeling goes away then its hello world IM BACK
I am also having the same problems funning feeling in chest, like a dropping feeling, then heart beats fast arm and legs feel weak. They only happen at night right when i am about to fall asleep.I feel I wont wake up in the morning, like I will have a heart attack or quitt breathing I am a smoker for 30 years now, so maybe it is my lungs.
This just started happeneing to me a week ago. I am a 20 year old male. WTF is wrong with us that we are so young and have so much anxiety? I h8 this. every night (i repeat, EVERY NIGHT) right b4 i am about to fall asleep it hits me. The first time was really bad. But now when i feal it coming on i just try to ignore it. I now know im not going to die and it will be over soon and that helps. They are not as bad because i expect them and i can calm myself.

**Try reading a book before bed or listening to some zen music, just try to calm your soul. It has helped me..**
I'm dealing with this for 1 year now. I'm 21 male. It's really hard to ignore it. Just as I'm about to fall asleep my body jerks and I feel like Im having a heart attack and I can't breath. I don't smoke or do drugs I never touched alcohol. But still this is happening to me almost every night. No matter how tired or sleepy I am, in the back back of my brain a thought is running and the moment Im about to fall asleep, it comes like a giant monster and shakes me to my very soul.
YES! I've been feeling this too, exactly when I begin to fall asleep. I feel the drop in the stomach and adrenalin rush, and dizziness too, all at the same time. The dizziness lasts for 2-3 seconds but the panic for a while longer...

Been to the doctor, did bood tests and checked my thyroid and everything was ok, so he told me it is nocturnal anxiety...

I've anxiety for a long time but never felt anything like this before.

It began in the last 2 months and happens almost everynights sometimes several times before I can fall asleep.

I made a post about this, you can check if you want, and the reply I got was that this was normal because it's when our bodies are more relaxed and we can't no more control the anxiety...hope this helps.

If anyone has a method of dealing with this please let me know it is realy terrifing and tiring...
I have had panic attacks for years. I am 26 years old and have had panic attacks since I was 12-14 years old. I am so used to them at this point. I know who, what , where and when I will have one. I can feel one coming on from a mile away. I take xanax for them and it has ALWAYS helped. Recently I have started having what you are calling MINNI panic attacks at bedtime as well. As soon as I drift off....I do mean as soon as I drift off....The panic hits....heart races, sunken feeling in my chest. But not like a normal panic attack. And it throws me out of bed like a rocket. After a few minutes it goes away and I lay back down but as soon as I fall asleep again...there it is. Happened 3 times last night and I was not able to fall asleep until 6:30am this morning.

What common denominator do we all have in common. All our symptoms are the same. We are all relatively young from 16-26 years old. What else do we all have in common??? Maybe it could help explain this new onset of panic attacks before bed. They are driving me nuts. My husband wants me to go to a doctor, but I dont see how one would be able to help. I already take xanax.

I need help!
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that I've been having the exact same thing for a while now: I feel reluctant to go to sleep but at some point, my body feels so ridiculously tired that I have to try to sleep. And as I drift off, it feels like my mind refuses to let my body sleep and so I feel this shock in my body, I feel like my heart is sinking and then it beats really fast. I then get excessively scared that something might be wrong with my heart so I refuse to sleep. I get so scared every night and it's exhausting.
Also, I don't know anyone who has this too so it's hard to talk about it and make people understand. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this.
But I've been going through a rough couple of month and I've been having a lot of panic/anxiety attacks. I only just recently started taking antidepressants so they're not effective yet.
But it seems quite obvious what it is: it's closely linked to the state of anxiety in which we all seem to be. And the fear to fall asleep and not wake up, or the fear that these shocks might come again are all responsible for this too. Like I said before, it's like my brain refuses to let my body drift off because I'm scared.
If you think about it, imagine you're walking in a forest and you find yourself in front of a snake, for example. Your brain will automatically see the danger and you will feel that adrenaline rush in your body, preparing it for and eventual fight or escape. It's the same here. You're scared of falling asleep, and as you are, your brain registers the "danger" and wakes you up with an adrenaline rush.

Anyway, I'm anything but a doctor, but I've read a lot of things on anxiety attacks and this is my interpretation.
I hope you will find this useful
I know exactly how you feel. I've suffered with major panic attacks for several years now. It usually a happens 30 minutes to an hour after I fall asleep at night. I am woken up abruptly with a feeling of sudden terror and realize that my heart is going at a very high rate. I get the sense that I'm having a heart attack and am about to die. When this first happened I had my wife call 911 and was rushed to the hospital. They found nothing wrong with my heart and sent me back home. This happened twice more a few months apart and again I was taken to the hospital for checkup. This time the doctor gave me a shot of beta blocker which almost instantly brought my heart rate back to normal.

Here is the best way to deal with this disorder:
1. Get your heart checked by a Cardiologist to rule out heart problems. In my case I was diagnosed with a benign mitral valve prolapse. This is a common heart problem affecting 5% of the population that is harmless but can trigger panic attacks. Knowing that your heart is normal will help you deal with the panic attacks when they happen because you can tell yourself that your heart is normal and you're not about to die. This fact alone has reduced the severity of my panic attacks from a 10 to about a 2.
2. Consider asking your doctor to put you on a beta blocker drug like Atenolol. These drugs are very safe and work by blocking adrenaline from reaching your heart. So when your brain sends a false message to your heart that danger is looming your heart will ignore it. The drug also slows down and regulates your heart rate. Many people who don't have any heart conditions or panic attacks take it because it helps them deal with daily stress. For example, singers take it before a performance to help them calm down.
3. When you have an attack stay calm and re-assure yourself that this is only temporary and is going to pass. Drink a cup of water with lemon and pace around the house until your calm down. This can take between 5 to 30 minutes. Once calm go back to bed. If you are afraid to go to sleep read a book, watch tv, or listen to some music to make you sleep again. Then try to lie down and relax.
4. Pray and ask God to help you with this disorder which is rooted in fear. If you have faith in the afterlife then the fear of death will fade away. This is easier to say than to live out but it helps me deal with this problem. Knowing that God is in control of my life and my destiny gives me a sense of peace .Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
Wishing you all the best!
I’m so happy I’m not the only person with this problem.  I’m 22 almost 23 I was diagnosed with panic attacks at 16 was on Zoloft until I was almost 19.  I had my panic under control for about four years .. occasional tiny attacks but nothing I couldn’t handle.  Its currently 4:08 … I laid down at 1:00 to go to bed and then the attack came…my attacks aren’t so mini though.  They are full blown panic and tonight was the worse so far.  Same thing as the others posted feeling of heart attack then fear or inability to fall back to sleep .  
I got my own place three months ago and I don’t have any roomies which is what I think my be part of the problem ( fear dying and nobody finding me or having a heart attack and nobody finding me but this started after the attacks started).  I’m going to see about going back on Zoloft asap this is driving me nuts.  I also find it strange that we are all about the same age group and all with the same symptoms.  
Hi Everyone,

just wanted to share this with you, About 2 years ago, i started having terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I too went through the same things, particularly not wanting to go to sleep and feeling petrified that i was going to have a heart attack. I went on medication for a few months but decided that it wasnt for me.
I just wanted to let you know that speaking to a doctor about it is really important. But be sure to ask WHY things are happening. The thing that helped me the most was them explaining my symptoms and why i was experiencing this. Everything you are feeling is a normal reaction from your body. You'll find that most of it is muscular from being so tense, its amazing what symptoms a tight muscle in your neck can cause!
Fear of death is completely normal. Particularly with the younger generation. We are a generation that needs to know, information has always been readily available to us. But this is one of those things that cant be explained.
Concentrate on living your life, set goals and work towards them. I cant stress enough that you are in charge of your own life.
I must add that i still get anxious sometimes but i have learned to change my way of thinking, instead of panicking about it being 'anxiety' I change it, everyone gets nervous and excited so thats what i put it down to. You will learn that these feelings are normal and that focusing on them like i used to will blow them out of proportion. Instead of being hard on yourself about your anxiety, focus on the positives and how it is getting better. I bet each time you feel anxious or have a panic attack you deal with it that little bit better.
The internet can be a great source of information but focus on stories about people that have overcome anxiety, just sharing information and researching symptoms and causes can be very detrimental, trust me i know!

Anyways, hope that was helpful and good luck to all of you!
L
I was googling to see if I could find anything on this, and am happily shocked to see that it's not just me.

My regular panic attacks have been under control for years, but this junk as I am/right after I fall asleep is just HORRIBLE.  :o(

The only thing I can suggest to you guys is, try Theanine (over-the-counter natural green tea supplement) and/or KavaKava root (also otc).  The Theanine is mild, but effective, and the Kava is effective, but not so mild.  I'd recommend taking half the recommended dose to start out with, as it can make you loopy.

I am baffled that most of you are so young.    O.o

Like Isaiah53 said, you may also want to try calling on God.  
I also have panic attack just before i drift to sleep. I get a weird scary feeling and my hearts starts pumping and then i start thinking strange things.

Anyone knows any methods for anxiety and panic attack?

Also sometimes i have anxiety thru all day (scary feeling) but when i eat certain food it kinda goes away but then i get burning sensaiton on my body.

If anyone knows anything  and wants to talk about it just please email me davor.***@**** and all of you take care and cure soon!!!
I am 23...The past couple of months I know that I have been completely stressed out with being broke, both my mom and dad being in and out of the hospital, and have been having daily migraine headache's (especially in the back of my head) and neck and throat stiffness/pain, plus high blood pressue which I know can cause bad headache's.

Well the past couple of nights while I am about to drift off to sleep, I feel my stomach/heart drop (like i'm falling off a cliff or something) and I gasp for air and jerk awake breathing heavily and having chest pain, neck pain, heart racing and even a sense of having the chills/hot flashes, and it scares me so much that I cry, and it scares my husband. Every single time I pretty much close my eyes this happens, no matter how tired I am...and even sometimes when i'm awake (during the day) and just thinking about it. At first I was terrified that I was having a heart attack, or heart problems, but my husband thinks that it is panic attacks and that I have high anxiety. I have never had them before, and I haven't yet been checked our by the doctor. My husband suggested me taking a shower to try and relax me, and then I prayed and wasn't able to fall asleep until around 5:00 am this morning and it wasn't easy to do...and usually i'm asleep by 9:00 pm and awake at 7:00 am :( I tried laying down today to get more rest and it was still happening every time I close my eyes....I tried having light music playing on the radio, and having a movie on and it didn't help :(  I feel completely tired like I have no energy to clean my house or do anything, and I am having very painful neck pain and headaches with this that have been going on for months now........What should I do??? Please help :`(
I've been suffering with general anxiety and panic attacks for about 4 months now. I have been to the docs on numerous occasions i still get worried that I have a life threatening illness. Mostly for me it's the breathing I can't keep it under control and only recently started to bot be able to fall asleep, I will for a few hours and then I'm awake and every time I try to fall asleep it stops me, this is so scary and I feel like I may die or stop breathing in the middle of the night!! If anybody has any information please feel free to email it to me as this is taking over my life, my email is ***@****
OMG... You guys are LIFESAVERS!! I've been getting these exact same attacks for the past 8 months or so.. Not every night, but at least twice a week! I've had it for the past 4 days in a row and its seriously started to get on my nerves cos my sleep pattern is being DESTROYED! I have searched and searched for months for an answer and have found nothing.. At first I thought it was sleep Apnea.. But when I went to the doctors today for routine check up.. I mentioned my episodes of "near death" before sleep.. And he brushed it aside as "panic attacks".. And alas.. I typed in "panic attack before sleep" and I've just seen for the first time that I'm not the only one!! The feeling of falling is crazy!! I can't believe u guys get it too.. And I don't know whether its just me.. But have any of u noticed WHERE your "attacks" occur?? Because mine only occur in 2 places... 1: @ home which is the location where I had my first. And the other is at my mums house.. Because I once had one there and now everytime I visit my mum.. I can't sleep for 4-5 hrs cos I'm fighting it! My point is.. When I stay at friends houses or hotels when I'm on holiday.. They never happened! But when I'm at home.. About 2 hrs before bed.. I start thinkin "I hope I don't get that thing tonight!!.. I hope I can just sleep normally" and because I'm thinking about it... Then they happen! Same goes at my mums! Because I've experienced them there.. The more I think about it, the more they happen! don't know whether that's the same for u guys.. But that's what I've been thinkin. Sorry for the big essay... But I've been tryin to sleep for 4 hrs.. And decided to give my body a break from trying to sleep. Hopefully I will be fine now! Distraction is usually the way I beat it! Good luck everyone

Dominic, Uk, 22yrs
omg i have exactly the same thing, but my hands go numb and tingling aswell, i feel like i am going to stop breathing and die, my legs go dead aswell and all just before i drift off to sleep, this can happen once a night to 6 times a night, it scares me to death now hate going to bed, i did think it could be sleep apnea, i do smoke and been drinkin quite alot of alcohol at night so i fall asleep with out these attack, any ideas i would love to hear thanks
Hey all, I've been having these night time attacks for about 2 years now and they have become more frequent and during the day. I know exactly what you feel and I'm glad I'm not alone. I would get checked out by a doc just to be safe but what helps me is a heating pad for my back, hugging a pillow when I sleep (no joke), taking shower b4 bed and relaxing. Don't worry just know when you wake up heart racing, we are too :)
Well,  guess im not going nuts.  im 34 and have been dealing with this secretly for 10 years.  always suspected panic attacks,  but as it goes,  feeling you are dieing suddenly or cant breath and will die from it in your sleep..reminds me of nightmare on elm street.  So i listen to a lot of Coast to Coast talk radio because its on from 1:00 AM until 6:00 ,  bet a lot of you might too
Here I am at 5am going through this crap. Just tried sleeping for over an hour and everytime i'd have a shock that would send me sitting straight up in bed. This is an aweful condition. I'm tired, and my beautiful dogs are in bed with me, and i just wanna go to sleep. I'm gonna take a shower maybe that will help.
I have been having this problem on and off for the past 5 years, i'm 22, it is truely awful and drives you insane. I have had it really bad these past 3 weeks, and my anxiety during the day has been out of control, Its a cycle I can't seem to brake because as soon as I go to bed and close my eyes i'm thinking please don't happen, which makes it worse. Thoughts race through my mind, songs, conversations, people, it drives me crazy. It only happens when I get to bed and eventually i fall asleep and sleep straight through, like you guys I have been worrying its's my heart, but when I am occupied I am fine, with friends etc. I also run for 5 miles 3-4 times a week, and do not get breathless, so I figured my heart is fine. I have bad palpitations also with my anxiety. I hate feeling like this and can't talk to people who havent experienced this as they don't understand and think i'm crazy! I am Bi polar which doesn't help things. I guess I'm going to have to get medication but I hate speaking to my docs as I have been before and they suggest counselling which I don't want. Good Luck everyone and remember that when you awaken gasping for breath feeling like you are going to go crazy, there is someone else doing exactly the same thing. Meditation helps as does sleeping with a light on. Coffee and alcohol are a massive no go area. I have been drinking alcohol this week to try and calm me down, it does briefly but when it wares off it is lethal for your mental state. X
I totally agree with you on the alcohol. I use it sometimes to calm myself down, but the next day of even the night of, when it's wearing off, shoots my anxiety off the charts. Its a vicious cycle.
Im 22 and this is crazy each and everyone of us are around the same age and all us are having the same mini attacks to full blown  attacks very odd. why??? But anyway i too have been afflected by this illness for some time know and even during the day it just comes out of no where x.x I wish i knew what it is and why it effects us all. Blessings to all of as may we be freed of this illness and live a full life without it.
I had my first real anxiety attack in the middle of the night. I woke up because my son was crying and went into a full attack. Scary. I too sometimes feel my hear racing after I have fallen asleep for a few minutes then wake up. I try some deep breathing and that usually helps. I am usually very easily irritated too when I am sleeping, husband snoring drives me insane. If I hear the kids stirring in the middle of the night- my heart will begin to race thinking one of them is about to need me. Not that them needing me bothers me - so I have no idea why that makes my heart race.

I am 28 and this started after I had my second baby.

I too find that a nice glass of wine calms me but add another and when it wears off I get all those panicky feelings. Why??
I am twenty and have this aswell it happens a soon as I drift off and o cant open my eyes for about 5 to 10 second and I have to think right open your eyes and suddenly I can av bn crappin it but seeing that other people have very similar problems makes it. a bit easier cheers dudes
have mentioned this before in a other topic (about the same events) . But try reading about Sleep Paralysis. One of the stages into Paralysis can be felt exactly like this. I might write a topic in here on what I have found out in my research since many seam to have issues with understanding this.
Hello all,

Need advise:

I am a 32 year old male and for a while now I have had issues falling asleep.  I am not sure if it is sleep apnea or anxiety but when I lay down for bed I spend the next 90 minutes restless then each time I am about to fall asleep I sit up in panic with my heart racing.  I feel like I stopped breathing.  I have had an EKG and regular blood pressure tests which come back perfect.  This is a scary feeling.  If I have several drinks or am very tired I can go to sleep but if I am trying to go to sleep at a normal hour without drinking I have these problems.  It is very scary and I feel as if I will not wake up.  In the morning I am very tired from staying up late but I feel better.  Is this sleep apnea or anxiety?
hi,ive suffered from panic attacks,since i was 8 ,im now 44,over the years they came periodicly,but for the last year theyve started at night,just as im about to drop off i bolt awake and have a weird feeling in the centre of my chest,feels like pressure,it 1st started when 1 night(this will sound weird)my body fell asleep b4 my brain(i now know its called sleep paralysis)were your brains aawke but cant move your body,it lasted about 2mins till my mind registered that iwasnt asleep and then the feeling of my body came back,so after that i got scared to fall asleep,so im still wide awake at 8 in the morning till i eventually fall asleep thru exaustion,the feeling of my panic can last up to an or more,till im forced to take medicine(oxazepam),usually 10 to 15 mgs,they do sort of take the edge off,i think my doc thinks im alost cause as he just palms me off with drugs,ive seen many shrinks,but all the advice just goes oyt the window when im in the middle of panic,i was abused as achild by my father so i do think thats the root cause,i also have aggrophobia,so im not safe anywhere,my home used to be a safe place till the panic invaded my home,the night times is scary,its much harder to cope with panic than in the daytime,i find it easier to fall asleep reading or watching tv,i cant go to sleep naturaly,it get get to the stage were you start worry about how much slep you will eventualy and that makes you worse,ive also started having a shot of vodka with my tabs as they dont have the same effects as they used,i cant give any good advice ,if i did then i could give myself some.x
So I am definately in the same boat as all of you!! I had no problems at all for the longest time cause I was taking .25 mg of Xanax...maybe 5 times a week! I told my Doc that this was working wonders for me! I had no anxiety at night or in the day, I could sleep, I could function, I could excel at my job...I wasn't experiencing any side effects of the medicine cause I was on such a low dose....just enough to keep me "normal". And then Doc says that she's taking me off the Xanax cause she doesn't think it's good for me!! Guess what Doc? Feeling like I am in the clutches of Death, the moment I start drifting off to sleep, is probably no good for me either!! Oh how I love being disregarded as just another drug seeking patient!! My best advice to all is to TRY to have a sense of humor about this *^!#* I find it helpful to take a nice loooonnngggg run, then a hot shower an hour or two before bed! Good luck, Best wishes to all of you! I truly wish I had the power to help/cure all of you because I know what a pain in the arse it is! STAY STRONG!
Hey dude. . I'm 17 years old. . And I get what yhoo saying.  That's the most scariest feeling. . But I got over that and I would like too tell yhoo how I did. . I used too get the exact same things as yhoo, mine got so bad that I stayed up whole night cz I was scared I get one as I fall asleep. . Doo what I done and let it be. . If yhoo feel panicy while falling asleep, then yhoo doo, stop thinking about how yhoo feel and stop worrying about it. .just think about something or do something that will keep yur mind occupied. . If yhoo feel horrible. . Feel horrible. . Learn too live with how yhoo feel and yhoo will get soo adjusted too it. . That it won't be a problem. . Soo yeah, just clear yur mind and have a attitude towards it. . Ignore it. . Just trying too help...
It's hard to ignore a real panic attack.  
I'm not sure if my last comment posted ! I have Pernicious Anemia and have been having these night head rushes. A symptom of my Anemia is feelings of anxiety and nervousness. I have been freaking out about these 'rushes' and reading all your posts have made me feel so much better. I would suggest that you may get your B12 levels checked just to rule this out. My Anemia is mild so I can get away with daily liquid B12 suppliments and food rich in B12. Thank you all for sharing your stories and helping me understand what is going on. I have been too afraid to google this for such a long time. The annoying thing is when you have anxiety, it's so hard to calm down and not think the worst due to anxiety ! Talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place !
Wow reading all these posts really help. I thought I was going crazy!! I get the same anxiety attacks. Mine aren't as bad as the used to be but they are bad enough. When my anxiety first started I couldn't wait for night time to come so I could go to bed. I dread nights now!! There are nights I'll stay up all night because I'm so terrified of sleep. I don't know what to do anymore, I just wish I could be normal again!!
I have some information that may be beneficial. I have been in the Hospital for the last 10 days. I was in the ICU for 4 of those days. I went in for a Mini-Maze procedure on my Heart. This is a technique used to stop uncontrolled electrical stimulation to parts of the Heart that make the Heart quiver and beat irregularly. I was diagnosed with A-Fib. I have been taking Atetnol, a beta blocker that blocks beta particles from making the heart beat faster. I almost did in the ICU with my lungs filling up with 1.5 gallons of water causing me to have wet Lung syndrome. I am taking lasiks to leach the water from by body. Now here's the weird part of it. When i was in the ICU I had the craziest dreams of Vampires and Bats and dead people. I know  what your thinking, this guy is crazy. Well I thought the same thing that I'm losing it! The  Cardiologist switched my Heart medicine over to Amiodarone. When I finally got home I couldn't sleep. Every time I started to fall asleep It felt like there was a slight pause in my lung capacity and i was forced out of that calming slumber. Now I lay awake, watch TV, drink decaf and wait until I feel I can recoup 1.5 - 2 hours of sleep. I just got off the phone with the Doctors Nurse. They said they would put me on a sleep medicine. I know what all of you are going through out there. This morning I felt pretty great after I went back to bed after being up until 7:00 AM.  I started to lay there thinking some of the craziest thought, and I willed myself to accept what I had been through and to ask Jesus for forgiveness and let me sleep peacefully. I then fell away into a slumber that was well awaiting for. God be with all of you!
I have the same problem. mine happen continuously. if i dont take something i wont fall asleep. mine are extremely intense. they happen right as my body hits REM sleep. the thing i found that works best for me. is taking a sleep aid + xanax to sleep. i use optimum ZMA its high in magnesium which has a calming effect. i take this with .5 mg of xanax and i sleep like a baby. It does make it harder to wake up though. the xanax alone wont work for me. im just stating what works for me. not a doctor at all.
I have had the same symptoms and my dr recommended Bach rescue remedy. It has been miraculous! I'm sleeping so well!!! I got it at gnc
I've been wanting to try that Bach Rescue Remedy, my symptoms have been improving I just wish I could get the thought of death out of my head!!
This is a very long string that dates back. I hope everyone on here get to read this.

I am 58 years old. Many of the people on here are 16 to 26 years of age. I had my first panic attack when I was 11 years old. My next one was a biggie when I was 20. since then I have had many episodes and have come out of all pretty much ok.

I use to find sleeping as an escape from anxiety but before long, it migrated into my slumber. I can recall nights when I jumped up out of a sound sleep and thought I was going to lose it. My worry isnt the heart attack, its losing total control and unreal feelings.

I've had many and many good days inbetween episodes. During those times, I thought alot about anxiety and its causes, especially to the younger generation. I read something years ago that the human subconscience has been completely leveled since the existance of the Atom bomb.

How does the future look to a generation that believes the world will end in their lifetime? Not very good. I am not a very religious person but I must say, since prayer was removed from the classrooms and family togetherness became not such a cool thing, our society and life styles have declined. Morals are not existant. Greed rules the world.

Does anyone want to know the causes of anxiety? There it is. It is right in front of our faces everyday when we watch the news. All of it has such an icredible impact on our subconscience minds. We are sensitive and somewhat meek people and what is going on in our world affects us.

I really believe it is time for all to seek our maker. Like I said, I am not a religious person but you can't argue with the facts. The amount of stress in our world and society is enough to drive anyone nuts!

Sorry for getting longwinded but this is what causes anxiety.
Hi everyone

I have just got out of panic attack and real world with no panic is so good.

I'm 28 years old male. Had my first panic attack at 24 for couple of nights before sleep in start of autumn. Ever since, autumn start means panic before sleep atleast twice every year.

This year though, it has been around for 2 weeks. I went to doc last year and he told me I lack Vitamin D since I'm a brown male living in New Zealand which makes it harder for my skin to absorb Vitamin D from sunlight. I will go to Doc tomorrow hopefully.

Best things that work for me is being stubborn to panic, think of best times or places, do not stress or think of it at all, watch "just for laughs" on you tube or something I like maybe a movie that makes me happy. Cant handle darkness.
Avoid alcohol and drugs like cannibis or tobacco.
Excercise daytime preferably in sun.
Relax 2 hours before sleep if possible.

Stress is a big factor I reckon. Meditation helps controlling stress.

Health is wealth so do not worry about anything  at all that weath/mastercard can buy, atleast at night. Set your goals in mornings and acheive them so you can have a panic free night.

Hope this helps
Hardeep Singh Grover
I struggled with this since I was in my teens and I am now in my mid 40's. I have taken medications for the same exact issues. When i just start to fall asleep my bodies subconscious negative thoughts worry and fear rage into me and I suddenly jump awake.  I tried to tell my husband its like a evil person saying I'm back ha ha ha,,, It scares the heck out of me.. I have tried all kinds of medications some work some give you more side effects than they are worth. My best medicine so far is to go to God. I currently take no medicine. It took me almost 2 years to wein off. By no means is this for everyone and dont ever stop what works for you.. I have had to be consistant about reading up on what evils  and demons we can let into ourselves without even knowing. Its called spiritual  warfare and it is very real. I thought I was out of my mind  when I started to read on it and had people telling me this is what was going on inside of me.  It was true what was happening and how I was being attacked. See I'm still learning but evils can attack us easier when we are not full awake. I had to really beleive and study what the Bible says about these attacks. Your doctor wont tell you how to cure yourself this way but its true to me..  I read it.. It tells you all threw the Bible about satan trying to trick people and how he sneaks into your mind and body to run havok. Do some research you may find I am not a Jesus freak or something like that.. You'll also find the tools to combate all these attacks. There is a attorney in the court room of your brain sortaspeak but you have to know the correct words and prayers just like an attorney to win the battle inside yourself. Take back what God gave you in your mind ,. body, and soul and use what he gave all us to work out these attacks. Call it what you want but tell you do your homework you may keep suffering... ITS HARD not easy to take back what was stolen, but its there.. I just want to be able to maybe help someone out there cause it really ***** when your there and want help and dont have a clue which way to turn.   Love and Kindness and peace be with all you that are suffering with me and being healed daily in Jesus's name.. Amen
I know how you guys feel I am 29yrs old and have been having these attacks for months now I hate it. And I am not that stressed so don't really understand we're they come from my biggest fear is when my heart starts racing and feel like I want to pass out but never do and at night when trying to fall asleep its the same thing now tell me how is it you feel you want to pass out when your trying to go to sleep can't breath sometimes either it's BS and if someone knows how to get rid of it I am all ears I am desperate at this point
I get these as well, there so awful and said it to my doctor and said not to worry that there night horrors???
Omg so crazy..this just happened to me like 3 times in a row just now and it scares the crap outta me. so I decided to Google it. I'm 23 and this has happened before but it's not a regular thing. I also have bad anxiety a lot too. I just wish I knew what to do about this. I hate it!
please tell me the solution ***@**** i have anxiety about breathing
So what is your method of relief?  I have Globus Hystericus (feeling of constantly being strangeled) which is caused by anxiety.  Really need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So glad to find others with Panic I thought I was the only one!!!I am not going crazier. I am not allergic to foods. I can ride in a car and take trips with the family. I hate to  take drugs they just candy coat what is really wrong with me. I am hoping to end these demons taking over my life. Thank YOU!!!
60 years old had PANIC ALL MY LIFE!!!
Hi I have suffered from anxiety and panick attacks for nearly 4 years most recently worst these past couple of moths they are really scary I keep thinkin I'm going to have a heart attack or theirs somethin wrong with my heart lastnight while I was trying to sleep a had this adreniline rush feelng through my body everytime I drifted off I felt as if I cldnt breath a got hot flushes all sweaty it was very frightning it happened about 8 or 9 times what is this I'm ony 24 xx
I had these symptoms too. Usually before I sleep. It helps to walk around the house. I notice it tend to happen on days where I consume chocolate or coffee. I also feel like I need to take a big breath orburp to get better.
omg i totally feel all of you! i had like a huge panic attack a month ago and ever since ive been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. i get like 5 hot rushes everynight, kinda like aniety attacks and they really scare me, i dont know what to do to stop them. anybody know what to do. im only a 17 yr old female and i barey sleep at night because i get them so often, and when theyre gone i feel scares to go back to sleep. what can i do ??!!!
I am a 24yr old female I recently started having panic attacks about 4 months ago, they scared the hell out of me at first & I thought I was dieing, went to the doctor did all the normal health tests & he said it was just anxiety. after I realized what they were I began to be able to control them, but after i got them under control i started having them in my sleep!! i will wake from a dead sleep sweating with my heart feeling like it's about to beat out of my chest. how do u control something when your unconscious??? help please i don't want to resort to medication.
So glad I'm not alone in this. I'm a 19 year old female and have had these attacks coming on gradually for several months now. Last night I hardly slept at all because they were so constant. I don't have anxiety generally and never have a specific fear during these attacks, like I'm having a heart attack or am going to die, but rather this knot of panic energy in my chest (near my heart, I think) that jolts me awake when I start to drift off. I'm so horrified of even trying to sleep because I don't want to face another night of this. At first I thought these were spiritual attacks but I'm starting to think there is a medical problem behind this. Question for others who are suffering from this, do any of you struggle with eating disorders or OCD, have food allergies or years of unexplained nausea and dizziness? Just trying to find some common ground with others who have these attacks.
I'm 16 and i had one of these just yesterday. It happens a couple of times and it wont let me sleep and its like just when you're about to start a dream your heart goes boom and your heart rate increases and its very scary :( I had sleeping problems of all kinds since i was 14 and i got used to it to the point where i know if it will or will not happen that particular night. but thank god, im a Muslim and in Islam there is an explanation to about everything. this is why when these things happen to me at night i take certain measures to protect me from these things. Al7mdillah    
I am the exact same. Everytime I try to get to sleep my mind wanders to horrible thoughts and I panic like crazy. I don't like going to sleep in a quiet/dark room anymore as my mind just gets worse so I try to put cartoons or something on to take my mind off it, but now these cartoons trigger these thoughts when I'm not even in bed and they're on in the living room. Sometimes I think I'm crazy but other times I feel like if I don't panic these things will happen. It's so irrational, I don't like to talk to anyone about it but it's starting to get silly as its every night, even when I've had a great day or if there's something brilliant happening the next day, it just plagues my nights so much that I dont want to go to bed or even try to sleep. A truely horrible feeling.
Im 18 and have suffered with anxiety for as long as I can remember. I am having a really hard time at the moment with these sleep attacks and am struggling to keep up the energy to do my daily things. I am so exhausted from staying up till 6 every day and getting up like an hour later. I feel constantly ill and am so scared every night before I go to sleep. I wish I could just separate myself from the fear that this will happen so that I am able to go to sleep at night and get some kind of rest from the anxiety I feel everyday.
All of my symptoms are the same as the ones posted on this page, the drop in the stomach/heart, rapid heart beat, loss of breath or gap in breathing and the immense fear of a heart attack or death. My legs/arms also ache, its getting to the point now where I am searching for the signs of a heart attack just so can get an answer as to why this is happening.
I cannot switch off from it, I don't want to take drugs for this and am currently in therapy for my anxiety.
Its really hard to deal with and reading through the comments on here has made me cry, knowing I am not the only one who goes through this is amazing to me. I always thought I was so alone.
I hope it gets better for everyone, peace to all your troubled hearts and minds.
This is happening to me right now... My minds slightly at rest just knowing I'm not going to die and that I'm not along in feeling this ..... Good luck guys :-(
If anyone wants to talk email me Damian.***@****
Damian . Taylor @ live . Co . Uk
You all kick *** to know the feelings that we feel. Sleep deprivation, disconnected, body going numb,pin n needles, gasping for air, rapid heart and/or chest pain. You're all ******* awesome don't ever forget it.
I have used ear phones every night and listen to a radio story or a night time reading so that I focus on that and not the panic In my stomach. If I don't have my earphones on I cannot too sleep. A bit of a nuisance but really reduces the awful feeling of fear hope this can help
I am really good at fixing these things. I have severe panic disorder and occasional paranoid schizophrenia. I solved it completely without any meds in a week, but currently I am in the same position as you guys. I feel panic as I start dozing off, and I can't do anything because my conscious mind is turned off. The only solution is to wake up and fix the fear. The good thing is I am an emotional doctor/philosopher. I spend my whole life messing with the mechanics of emotions. I will have the solution shortly and post it up here! For now my suggestion is buy sleeping headsets that block out sound. I think a lot of the fear comes from being afraid of being startled. When we are semi-awake we are extremely prone to being startled. Having the ear protection will make you feel safe from being startled.
Oh my gosh!! I suffered from this same exact crap!  i mean the same exact symptoms to a T.  it was so scary and it always always happened right as i was drifting asleep.  i would feel the drop, the panic, like i couldnt breathe.  i went to the doc and she had no clue.  well after a few er visits n tests it turns out its a bit to do with sleep apnea! Of course anxiety makes it worse.  it was caused by the meds i was on (that were for anxiety) and also my weight.  i went off all my meds n dropped a few pounds and havent had it happen since.  it used to happen every night for months.  now nothing.  im not saying go off your meds!  but google your meds n see if any of them ever caused sleep apnea for other people.  if so..theres the solution :-). Good luck all!
HERE IS HOW TO STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 60% sure this will work. The reason you are getting these is probably because you are cutting sleep while waking up. You should never be waking up on a clock, you should get up simply when you feel not tired. If you force your self to get up when you feel tired, you will have these panic attacks. This makes having a job or going to school really hard, but just try it for 1-2 days and see if it fixes it. Worked for me. Good luck!
This happened to me for the first time tonight and It was terrifying. I'm 17 years old and it scared me so bad... I don't want to go back to sleep
Same here 31 year old guy, that this happens to....I use to watch a funny tv show, the office for me, but recently that stopped working.....I started to think it was because I was getting out of shape, so I started excerising regularly....while this has helped me physical it has help that feeling of a heart attack as you drift of to sleep..could've saved myself all this exercise if I had just stumbled upon this website years ago...lol...

I truly relate to everyone it is truly a horrible feeling trying sleep and just as you fall asleep your woken up gasping feeling like "this is it"... 3 years later feels the exact same way as it did the first time...It does put my mind at ease knowing that this is not just me....thanks everyone for sharing your experiences over the years and thanks to whoever first started this.

Joe G.
I have similar problems as those in this thread.

I find that I experience the majority of problems, the night after I've had a large intake of alcohol.

Chest is a little sore as I try to sleep; and I always have an elevated heart rate. I start to become very aware of my heart beat, and simply that causes more stress, more anxiety, faster heart rate.

My resting BPM is around 55. On those nights it's more like 95-100.

My major issue, is finding myself finally forgetting about my heart rate, and beginning to drift off - only to be woken up gasping for air, as I'm not breathing properly.

This causes my brain to panic - release adrenaline - faster heart rate - cycle repeats.

One other very worrying occurrence during my sleep, or attempted sleep are what I can only describe as mini-fits or seizures.

First happened around 6 months ago, just as I was beginning to drift off.
My whole body began to convulse involuntarily. I was convinced in that split second that it was a heart attack.

I opened my eyes, sat bolt up right in bed, and suddenly the convulsions stopped. **** myself to be fair (not literally) and heart was going extremely fast again.

Now these convulsions are very intermittent and sporadic, and it's almost like I can control them. I can feel them coming on, and it's very hard to describe or explain, but once I open my eyes I can control my breathing and my body, and remind myself that's its nothing to worry about.

I drink maybe once or twice a week, smoke around 10-15 cigs a day, and have dabbled in recreation drugs like cocaine in the passed but no longer.

No idea what I'm going to do, but it's nice to have a place to get it off your chest.

Dan, Male 26
This is happening right now.. I'm so scared .. It makes me feel sick..so so worried. Doesn't help when doctors don't know what they are
How are we not brothers...I have the EXACT same fear as you do, the fear of dying in or not in my sleep. I'm just a teenager and I worry about this. Everytime I close my eyes, I feel like my head is in a different world and spinning, and my anxiety starts kicking in even more. When will this go away???
Exact same problem. I know how it feels dude.
I have read through these comments and am afraid to say that I am 52 and this has been happening to me for the last year or so.  I am just about to doze off and it hits.  I get a racing heart, my muscles jerk and I have trouble breathing.  I am not afraid to fall asleep - if anything I can't wait to fall asleep.  When it happens I get up walk around for a minute or so and shake it off, go back to bed, throw off the covers because they feel like they are pinning my down and it goes away.  It happens every night.  I don't go to bed thinking about it, it just hits me.  I realize all of you think the common thread is your young age, but sorry it hits us middle agers as well
I know it's been a long time but i am having those anxiety attacks for no reason just when i am about to sleep. When my mind goes into that dizzy mode i immidiately get full concentrate to what my eyes can see(black)and all my senses are back again. If this continues then panic attacks start to occure making sleeping almost impossible. I had insomnia in the past months but then it was no sleep at all, now i know i can sleep i just can't due to these stupid panic attacks. What can we do? :(
Hello there!

You've tacked your reply onto a very old thread, and usually those are passed up by most people.

Please start your own thread (link below) so we can help you out!

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new_with_new_subject?forum_id=71
let me help u guys
i use to have same problem and it feels terrible and this is how i overcame it
i changed my attitude,i started to be positive and told myself "am absolutely alright,am still alive and still here"everyone dies one day so y take tension,lets find solution to overcome it..by just changing my attitude i solved 50% of my problem,i kept myself busy and tried my best not to think about it,,and then i found pranayam(yoga) which helped me solved 50% rest of my problem..
i did this few pranayam's everyday and it helped me solved this problem in a month..
1-deep breathing
2-kapal bhati pranayam
3-anolom vilom pranayam

i have seen many people solved this issue with pranayam..and i really mean it

important thing is when u go to sleep try ur best to not to think about that u have this problem,always stay positive,i know it can b hard but u dont also hav any other choice

go google and learn how to do pranayam ,no kidding guys ,it will definately help u solve this problem for life...

dont take tensions and always stay positive..
enjoy life and keep urself busy
and tell urself u hav no fear because God is with u
and start doing pranayam everyday in morning and stay healthy

all the best
tc eveyone

This thread is over 7 years old.  It's great that you want to contribute and offer advice, but I would recommend posting on the current threads, as the older ones will just get passed by, plus the original posters on these old threads are usually no longer active on the site, so they will likely not see tour reply.

Thanks again for helping, hope to see you post on the newer threads!
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
23 mins ago
specialmom Good Friday. Preparing fo... Comment
1 hr ago
JD1963 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
1 hr ago