Help.."mini" panic attacks as i fall asleep
Hi, i am a 23 year old man whose had bad anxiety and panic attacks for a while now. I found a method that has pretty much eliminated my panic attacks, every once and a while ill have a panic attack but lately ive been having these what i call mini panic attacks almost right after falling asleep. literally a couple minutes after. its almost the same feeling as a panic attack  normally would be with the drop in the stomach and adrenalin rush then the rapid heartbeat. sometimes they happen once and sometimes they happen multiple times in the same night. I rarely(only once or twice) have waken up in the middle of the night with them, only right after i kind of drift off it hits me like a frieght-train. I have had my anxiety and panic attacks under control for a while now but these new sleep feelings are drivin me crazy and bringing up some of those feelings i thought id kind of left behind... =(  any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you!
omg i totally feel all of you! i had like a huge panic attack a month ago and ever since ive been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. i get like 5 hot rushes everynight, kinda like aniety attacks and they really scare me, i dont know what to do to stop them. anybody know what to do. im only a 17 yr old female and i barey sleep at night because i get them so often, and when theyre gone i feel scares to go back to sleep. what can i do ??!!!
I am a 24yr old female I recently started having panic attacks about 4 months ago, they scared the hell out of me at first & I thought I was dieing, went to the doctor did all the normal health tests & he said it was just anxiety. after I realized what they were I began to be able to control them, but after i got them under control i started having them in my sleep!! i will wake from a dead sleep sweating with my heart feeling like it's about to beat out of my chest. how do u control something when your unconscious??? help please i don't want to resort to medication.
So glad I'm not alone in this. I'm a 19 year old female and have had these attacks coming on gradually for several months now. Last night I hardly slept at all because they were so constant. I don't have anxiety generally and never have a specific fear during these attacks, like I'm having a heart attack or am going to die, but rather this knot of panic energy in my chest (near my heart, I think) that jolts me awake when I start to drift off. I'm so horrified of even trying to sleep because I don't want to face another night of this. At first I thought these were spiritual attacks but I'm starting to think there is a medical problem behind this. Question for others who are suffering from this, do any of you struggle with eating disorders or OCD, have food allergies or years of unexplained nausea and dizziness? Just trying to find some common ground with others who have these attacks.
I'm 16 and i had one of these just yesterday. It happens a couple of times and it wont let me sleep and its like just when you're about to start a dream your heart goes boom and your heart rate increases and its very scary :( I had sleeping problems of all kinds since i was 14 and i got used to it to the point where i know if it will or will not happen that particular night. but thank god, im a Muslim and in Islam there is an explanation to about everything. this is why when these things happen to me at night i take certain measures to protect me from these things. Al7mdillah    
I am the exact same. Everytime I try to get to sleep my mind wanders to horrible thoughts and I panic like crazy. I don't like going to sleep in a quiet/dark room anymore as my mind just gets worse so I try to put cartoons or something on to take my mind off it, but now these cartoons trigger these thoughts when I'm not even in bed and they're on in the living room. Sometimes I think I'm crazy but other times I feel like if I don't panic these things will happen. It's so irrational, I don't like to talk to anyone about it but it's starting to get silly as its every night, even when I've had a great day or if there's something brilliant happening the next day, it just plagues my nights so much that I dont want to go to bed or even try to sleep. A truely horrible feeling.
Im 18 and have suffered with anxiety for as long as I can remember. I am having a really hard time at the moment with these sleep attacks and am struggling to keep up the energy to do my daily things. I am so exhausted from staying up till 6 every day and getting up like an hour later. I feel constantly ill and am so scared every night before I go to sleep. I wish I could just separate myself from the fear that this will happen so that I am able to go to sleep at night and get some kind of rest from the anxiety I feel everyday.
All of my symptoms are the same as the ones posted on this page, the drop in the stomach/heart, rapid heart beat, loss of breath or gap in breathing and the immense fear of a heart attack or death. My legs/arms also ache, its getting to the point now where I am searching for the signs of a heart attack just so can get an answer as to why this is happening.
I cannot switch off from it, I don't want to take drugs for this and am currently in therapy for my anxiety.
Its really hard to deal with and reading through the comments on here has made me cry, knowing I am not the only one who goes through this is amazing to me. I always thought I was so alone.
I hope it gets better for everyone, peace to all your troubled hearts and minds.
This is happening to me right now... My minds slightly at rest just knowing I'm not going to die and that I'm not along in feeling this ..... Good luck guys :-(
If anyone wants to talk email me Damian.***@****
Damian . Taylor @ live . Co . Uk
You all kick *** to know the feelings that we feel. Sleep deprivation, disconnected, body going numb,pin n needles, gasping for air, rapid heart and/or chest pain. You're all ******* awesome don't ever forget it.
I have used ear phones every night and listen to a radio story or a night time reading so that I focus on that and not the panic In my stomach. If I don't have my earphones on I cannot too sleep. A bit of a nuisance but really reduces the awful feeling of fear hope this can help
I am really good at fixing these things. I have severe panic disorder and occasional paranoid schizophrenia. I solved it completely without any meds in a week, but currently I am in the same position as you guys. I feel panic as I start dozing off, and I can't do anything because my conscious mind is turned off. The only solution is to wake up and fix the fear. The good thing is I am an emotional doctor/philosopher. I spend my whole life messing with the mechanics of emotions. I will have the solution shortly and post it up here! For now my suggestion is buy sleeping headsets that block out sound. I think a lot of the fear comes from being afraid of being startled. When we are semi-awake we are extremely prone to being startled. Having the ear protection will make you feel safe from being startled.
Oh my gosh!! I suffered from this same exact crap!  i mean the same exact symptoms to a T.  it was so scary and it always always happened right as i was drifting asleep.  i would feel the drop, the panic, like i couldnt breathe.  i went to the doc and she had no clue.  well after a few er visits n tests it turns out its a bit to do with sleep apnea! Of course anxiety makes it worse.  it was caused by the meds i was on (that were for anxiety) and also my weight.  i went off all my meds n dropped a few pounds and havent had it happen since.  it used to happen every night for months.  now nothing.  im not saying go off your meds!  but google your meds n see if any of them ever caused sleep apnea for other people.  if so..theres the solution :-). Good luck all!
HERE IS HOW TO STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 60% sure this will work. The reason you are getting these is probably because you are cutting sleep while waking up. You should never be waking up on a clock, you should get up simply when you feel not tired. If you force your self to get up when you feel tired, you will have these panic attacks. This makes having a job or going to school really hard, but just try it for 1-2 days and see if it fixes it. Worked for me. Good luck!
This happened to me for the first time tonight and It was terrifying. I'm 17 years old and it scared me so bad... I don't want to go back to sleep
Same here 31 year old guy, that this happens to....I use to watch a funny tv show, the office for me, but recently that stopped working.....I started to think it was because I was getting out of shape, so I started excerising regularly....while this has helped me physical it has help that feeling of a heart attack as you drift of to sleep..could've saved myself all this exercise if I had just stumbled upon this website years ago...lol...

I truly relate to everyone it is truly a horrible feeling trying sleep and just as you fall asleep your woken up gasping feeling like "this is it"... 3 years later feels the exact same way as it did the first time...It does put my mind at ease knowing that this is not just me....thanks everyone for sharing your experiences over the years and thanks to whoever first started this.

Joe G.
I have similar problems as those in this thread.

I find that I experience the majority of problems, the night after I've had a large intake of alcohol.

Chest is a little sore as I try to sleep; and I always have an elevated heart rate. I start to become very aware of my heart beat, and simply that causes more stress, more anxiety, faster heart rate.

My resting BPM is around 55. On those nights it's more like 95-100.

My major issue, is finding myself finally forgetting about my heart rate, and beginning to drift off - only to be woken up gasping for air, as I'm not breathing properly.

This causes my brain to panic - release adrenaline - faster heart rate - cycle repeats.

One other very worrying occurrence during my sleep, or attempted sleep are what I can only describe as mini-fits or seizures.

First happened around 6 months ago, just as I was beginning to drift off.
My whole body began to convulse involuntarily. I was convinced in that split second that it was a heart attack.

I opened my eyes, sat bolt up right in bed, and suddenly the convulsions stopped. **** myself to be fair (not literally) and heart was going extremely fast again.

Now these convulsions are very intermittent and sporadic, and it's almost like I can control them. I can feel them coming on, and it's very hard to describe or explain, but once I open my eyes I can control my breathing and my body, and remind myself that's its nothing to worry about.

I drink maybe once or twice a week, smoke around 10-15 cigs a day, and have dabbled in recreation drugs like cocaine in the passed but no longer.

No idea what I'm going to do, but it's nice to have a place to get it off your chest.

Dan, Male 26
This is happening right now.. I'm so scared .. It makes me feel sick..so so worried. Doesn't help when doctors don't know what they are
How are we not brothers...I have the EXACT same fear as you do, the fear of dying in or not in my sleep. I'm just a teenager and I worry about this. Everytime I close my eyes, I feel like my head is in a different world and spinning, and my anxiety starts kicking in even more. When will this go away???
Exact same problem. I know how it feels dude.
I have read through these comments and am afraid to say that I am 52 and this has been happening to me for the last year or so.  I am just about to doze off and it hits.  I get a racing heart, my muscles jerk and I have trouble breathing.  I am not afraid to fall asleep - if anything I can't wait to fall asleep.  When it happens I get up walk around for a minute or so and shake it off, go back to bed, throw off the covers because they feel like they are pinning my down and it goes away.  It happens every night.  I don't go to bed thinking about it, it just hits me.  I realize all of you think the common thread is your young age, but sorry it hits us middle agers as well
I know it's been a long time but i am having those anxiety attacks for no reason just when i am about to sleep. When my mind goes into that dizzy mode i immidiately get full concentrate to what my eyes can see(black)and all my senses are back again. If this continues then panic attacks start to occure making sleeping almost impossible. I had insomnia in the past months but then it was no sleep at all, now i know i can sleep i just can't due to these stupid panic attacks. What can we do? :(
Hello there!

You've tacked your reply onto a very old thread, and usually those are passed up by most people.

Please start your own thread (link below) so we can help you out!

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new_with_new_subject?forum_id=71
let me help u guys
i use to have same problem and it feels terrible and this is how i overcame it
i changed my attitude,i started to be positive and told myself "am absolutely alright,am still alive and still here"everyone dies one day so y take tension,lets find solution to overcome it..by just changing my attitude i solved 50% of my problem,i kept myself busy and tried my best not to think about it,,and then i found pranayam(yoga) which helped me solved 50% rest of my problem..
i did this few pranayam's everyday and it helped me solved this problem in a month..
1-deep breathing
2-kapal bhati pranayam
3-anolom vilom pranayam

i have seen many people solved this issue with pranayam..and i really mean it

important thing is when u go to sleep try ur best to not to think about that u have this problem,always stay positive,i know it can b hard but u dont also hav any other choice

go google and learn how to do pranayam ,no kidding guys ,it will definately help u solve this problem for life...

dont take tensions and always stay positive..
enjoy life and keep urself busy
and tell urself u hav no fear because God is with u
and start doing pranayam everyday in morning and stay healthy

all the best
tc eveyone

This thread is over 7 years old.  It's great that you want to contribute and offer advice, but I would recommend posting on the current threads, as the older ones will just get passed by, plus the original posters on these old threads are usually no longer active on the site, so they will likely not see tour reply.

Thanks again for helping, hope to see you post on the newer threads!
Hey all im Alex and im going trough a cant breathe thing right this second!!!!! Im soooo fricking scared.!!! Someone please talk to me!!!!
I have this two like my body is on hyper mode. I took levaquin and cipro many times and this is what happened to me. I am also covered from head to toe with severe stinging over entire body and heart pounding.. if anyone else has this please write me
***@****
Hi.. I'm pleased I've found this forum..
So, I'm 22.. Every time I close my eyes, I get a sudden feeling of; 'I'm going to die', and I gasp.. Sometimes a small yet deep breath through the nose and I have to open my eyes.. and other times I have to sit up quickly with heavy gasp through the mouth..
It's driving me crazy.. I'm so tired in bed as I write this; (05:35 am) but I'm avoiding sleep..
It's true, the more I think about it the worse it gets! But my brain is cruel! I can't think of anything BUT feeling like this.. sometimes I visualise things that I know will make it worse followed by said gasping.. I very much dislike it, and I really am finding it difficult to think about anything else.
You mention a method you use to overcome it.. I'd really like to know. Your email address is blocked out..

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Many thanks,
Alex
Hey guys.. Another 22 year old here..
I'm experiencing exactly the same.. It's driving me crazy!

I get the fear of dying. It jolts me every time I close my eyes and I always have to open them.
Sometimes it's a sharp, deep breath through my nose and sometimes it's a long, deep gasp through my mouth and I sit up very quickly.
There are even times when I throw myself out of bed, turn the light on and get pacing around as if I'm trying to stay alive!
I have learnt that focusing on the feeling makes it worse, but I can't help it. I really can't!
I've tried reading, audiobooks, film and tv, meditation music, but to no avail.
It's brutal and I'm very tired, but scared to sleep.
It's a catch 22! Anxiety attack triggers negative thoughts and negative thoughts trigger anxiety attacks!

I'm using Bach Rescue Remedy: "To comfort & reassure".. You put four drops on your tongue or in a glass of water.. It's basically an alcohol solution with herbs in it..
I'll be perfectly honest, I don't know if it's working for me, but others swear by it.. Try and get some if it's available in your country. Alternatively search 'Bach flower remedies' on Amazon.

I really do hope that works for you..! This is a truly disturbing feeling! :(
I was wondering if your night time symptoms have changed? I started this same thing two months ago when I had a concussion that night bang panic,heart rate up , sweating could not breath. It repeated all night I ended up going on klonopin .5 mg after 5 straight nights it seems to help but who wants to be on meds.

Firstly I am sorry all of you are experiencing this awful feeling - I have had this condition for over 10 years and although I can see a pattern among you all being young, I myself am 49 -  the "attacks" as I call them started once a week, then 1 a night, then at the height, 12 times in one hour. I think they are self perpetuating.

I have seen 7 doctors, I have had 3 sleep studies (wire you up to a point where it is not going to help you sleep) all the same, they could not pin point what was wrong. Had MRI scan - blood tests, the works - all 100% normal.

I have seen a neurologist and a psychiatrist (a few childhood issues he thinks are the cause - I doubt it)  

- the name of what I (we have) is vague at best as it can come under so many names - but "night terrors" -"nocturnal panic attacks"  I have even come across one called "exploding head syndrome" (I know - crazy!)  - however they are close enough I guess but it is not an official diagnosis and having something wrong that has no name really adds to the problem, as seeking advice for it, is virtually impossible.

I have been on sleeping tablets since these attacks started - yes 10 years of them - I try to take half each night and live with a few attacks but when it is bad I can take up to 2  (7,5mg Zopiclone) -  Sometimes they help but 90% of the time I still get these attacks but on the pills  they are reduced and no so violent, the rare night I get none  they do help overall but the attacks never really stop and the pills make me irritable the next day it is a battle all the time, I do get some good days though so it is not all doom and gloom  yet  I hate it and it scares me as much as the first time but now I have come to accept it as best I can.   How nasty can it be that you are at your most relaxed when it happens -  how can you possibly relax and calm yourself more! - I would not wish this on anyone.

My conclusions -

10 years ago when they started there was 1 post, like all the above - just 1 -  sure the internet was newish - but it was from a girl talking about her boyfriend having this condition...the post was 3 years old at the time I found it  not one post in reply to it was left.   Now look how many we have here and no doubt countless other places, it could be just a coincidence with traffic on the internet or it could be something else is kicking this condition off.

Night time epilepsy has been thrown at me - this was later dropped as the cause-  however  flashing lights etc cause epilepsy I believe - so after reading many (not all) of the posts above,I  have a theory,  firstly I believe this a fairly new condition that is gaining momentum,  in order to be sure that my theory has some grounds I believe that 1 thing could now be cause of these attacks for myself....

I really feel the cause is computer use - I work on them and use them far more than is probably healthy -  I am self employed and have had 1 full weeks holiday in the whole 16 years I have been in business -  - what I am trying to say is,  one week in all that time where I never saw a computer screen for 7 full days! - I can now remember, that during that week - the attacks were the least they have ever been and they reduced as the week went by.  This seems to be a link but we can only know that if other posters may also use computers for extended hours, day in day out - with work, social media, online gaming , watching movies - writing this post,  it goes on - I know I live on the computer far, far too much and I am not saying you are even close to my use but if you feel you do - it is something to consider.

So It is hard not to use the computer for a few hours, each day, 7 days a week,  also admit to being a workaholic - but this is my take on this condition and computer use is something I will plan to reduce  and see if the attacks reduce too - should it, I will post my findings - I hope you all find an end to this condition.

Peace

Hi, I understand why you have come to this conclusion but to me it simply doesn't make sense, right now I'm on the internet because I'm at a relatives, but when I'm at home I have no internet and therefore do not use my computer very much. I watch hardly any TV although I do play games but still not half as much as many people I know.
Besides this board hasn't got all the facts because not everyone i going to come here to share and many who will share at all, maybe because they don't have a computer.
I just googled this to see if I was alone. apparently I am not. There has been a few times where I drift off. And just at he point of falling asleep, I'm hit with this panic...no reason, no logic, just fear and sudden adrenaline, a feeling like I cant breathe. I have no idea what's wrong with me I've cut almost all caffeine out of my diet as I initially thought it was my caffeine intake, but after some time, I realise its not entirely that...though I am sure it did make it worse! If anyone knows why this is happening and how to stop it...It would be great! in mean time folks, reduce caffine...it DOES reduce these incidences I have experimented
I just read fully your statement. This is a good conclusion, however, my attacks have been recent, though I have been a heavy computer user for a number of years now, and have always taken eh view that I should stop at least two hours before I sleep. though it is no doubt related, I would be more inclined to view it as a caffeine problem , more people now take heavily caffeinated products in order to get more out of their day. I was one such person and though I still suffer from these attacks , the lowered dosage of sugar and caffeine has greatly reduced the incidences.
Imagine - I'm not the only one with this strange phenomenon!  For me, the tiny attacks are somewhat infrequent - perhaps a few times a month.  I'll be just on the verge of sleep and, as so many have mentioned, have the sensation of falling and feel panic and/or brief but profound feeling of depression.  I know they don't last long, so I self-talk and tell myself that I've had them lots of times before and nothing bad has EVER happened.  I remind myself that they go away quickly and they do.  They are distressing, no question about it, but I've managed to talk/think my way through them.  I am so relieved that I'm not the only one who experiences this.

I am 63 and have had two surgeries this past year and, over that time period (April through November), the mini-attacks have gotten somewhat worse.  The residual side effects from the anesthesia (April surgery) coupled with pain pills (hate them, but needed them) in combination with my regular meds (Remeron and Xanax .25, TID) threw me into a major case of insomnia for about 10 days.  That was resolved by upping my Xanax at night (didn't really want to, but it did the trick and I was able to ramp back down very easily), but I think the whole experience simply exacerbated the mini panic/depressive pre-sleep episodes.  Since my second surgery (three weeks ago), I haven't noticed many episodes.  I think this is because I had a MUCH better experience with the anesthesia (NO residual side effects - anesthesiology is as much an art as a science and the doc this last time was simply awesome).  Just my two cents.  
I should have mentioned that I'm also a life-long sufferer from panic and anxiety disorder.  One of my surgeries was an emergency (talk about stress) and the other was exploratory for cancer. So my stress, anxiety and fear index has been off the charts for the past year in addition to the normal disorder!!
I might be going through the same thing. I am not sure.. I hope someone can read this, my life has been ruined from anxiety since 2009..Over the years I have had different worries and different symptoms.. but my main fear and concern was always the heart.. Here is my latest symptoms.. I used to get this during the day too, but now mostly happens at night

Symptoms-
  Right before I fall asleep or laying down trying to sleep.. I get this weird feeling that i can't describe. It sort of feels like a panic.. but it really is hard to define the feeling.  Its like a feeling of dread that you know "its coming". It almost feels like a battle in your head and body.. and sometimes it feels like you can't win the battle at all and it takes over..  I will start feeling that (nervous / panic)'ish  feeling and get very hot.. even maybe start sweating.. than it hits like a point of no return and my heart just starts racing..  A regular and steady but very fast pulse..  when that happens I don't know if i conditioned myself to relax and than it goes away pretty fast... or its a heart arrhythmia that stops.. but sometimes it doesn't stop and i get more nervous and i start sweating even more and feeling hot.. even feel a little bit like i can't breath..  usually these attacks don't last long.. they seem like mini attacks.. even the long ones i don't think last more than 10 mins or so lately..  does this sound familiar to anyone?   My big concern is if it is a panic attack or a heart arrhythmia  like SVT or VT.. atrial flutter etc.. But i always feel when its coming.. I feel that nervous feeling, butterflys sometimes.. feel hot, sweat,, and THAN my pulse seems to start going fast.  Ive done so much researching about heart rhtym disorders and its all so vague.  My big thing years ago was PVC's or skipped beats.. i used to get them and worry about them.. before that it was dizziness... than other times id fall asleep and get jolted awake like an electric shock..  Now my big thing, and the worst one yet are these damn episodes where my heart races..
Hey im jus starting to thru the Samething cant sleep for nothing feel all anxious and nervous soon as i fall asleep sensation go thru my body im back up.feeling all tingly and stuff did u find a cure please let me know im really scared
Several years have passed since your post but it's the closest thing I can find to my problem. Your description fits exactly what I have. I don't suffer panic attacks but have developed an unpleasant sleep disorder that I can't seem to do anything about. As you say as soon as I fall asleep (and I can be very tired and relaxed) it's as if someone has switched a bright light on in my brain and I am brought rushing back to full wakefulness. At first I panicked a bit but after a while I got used to trying to return to sleep with the minimum fuss. This happens for hour after hour falling asleep within a minute and waking up a few mins later. Took a Valium last night which I suspect just masks the problem. I can see no correlation to anything that I'm doing or is going on in my life. Just wanted to let you know you were not on your own. Ps I am 51 and had this for the past month.
This is happening to me now - are you better and what did you do to get better? Thank you!
Ps. Re my last post my problems have all started since having surgery and being on intravenous diazepam for 3 hours. Interesting that surgery is connected to your problem also.
Hello ! Don't worry, it's nothing but stress ! I might only be 11 but i've been though it before. When you wake up suddenly and your heart is racing and your to afraid to go back to sleep in case you " Die " or you have another panic attack. But you might want to go to the docter incase it might be something else but because your still young I doubt that you will have anuthing wrong with you :) Do not worry ! I go to a phycologist and she has really helped me so if your feeling panicky after you wake up in the night imagine your walking down a dark corridor then you see a door framed by light, you walk towards it, turning the door knob and gazing out at the beautiful garden with bright flowers surrounding it and big curtains of ivy hanging down. You stare out at the waterfall that lands into a deep, blue lake, nothing can hurt. Now sit down, anywhere you like and imagine there is a light beam shooting out of you  It can be your favourite colour if you want ) and your slipping further and further away, nothing can harm you. Hope this helps :) Good luck !
I am having the EXACT same thing happening to me. Mine just started about 2 night ago and I hate it.  I am dealing with a sinus infection currently and thought it was some weird side effect from the meds that I'm on.  But its good to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way.  What did you find helped you?
Nocturnal anxiety attacks are fairly common. Normally when this happens the thing to do is to wake up, calm down, and do some breathing exercises.  But the better way is to actually prevent it from happening. There are many medications out there that can help with this and for those who are not fond of medications, there are countless natural remedies. Kava tea, chamomile tea, and lavender tea are great beverages that promotes better sleep. Endoca hemp products also have anxiolytic properties that calms you down and relax your body it also help alleviate anxiety. You can also try music therapy, aromatherapy, and meditation.
To all of you I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I'm currently 43 years old and I've been dealing with this disorder since my early to mid 20's.

I have the exact same symptoms that have been mentioned. As well as one that hasn't. I also have these tourrettes type nervous ticks that can happen for periods of time. An example of those would be blinking too much or twitching my neck to one side. They are brought on by stress as well as the panic sleep disorder.

I always thought I was the only person out there with these strange and debilitating problems.

I can tell you something that has helped me with both the sleep disorder and tics. I got on a beta blocker and it almost permanently ended the problem. I haven't had an episode for years until recently.

And it can get worse than anyone on here has described. I am dealing with that right now. I have been under a ton of stress lately as well as a botched surgery. I think all of this pressure I have been having is the reason why my beta blocker doesn't appear to be helping me right now. Very strange because I haven't had a single attack since I got on it several years ago.

So you know that feeling that you get, not feeling like you can get oxygen in your lungs, adrenaline rush so strong that it makes you want to jerk your whole body or go into a fit of rage, feeling like you're going to die if you fall back asleep. It can get much worse I have recently found out. For the past 3 days I haven't slept more than 4 to 5 bad hours. And there has been nothing that I have been able to do to get rid of it. I'm on the verge of going to the hospital to get some Xanax or Valium. This is pure torture and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
Hey , Iv had anxiety attacks now for the past two years and the first year was absolutely the worst . I couldn't even enjoy life cause I was to busy stuck in my own head Panicing half the time. I just started getting anxiety attacks before I fell asleep or right after I fell asleep if wake up frantically searching for answers and my heart would be racing and I'd be terrified to go back to sleep . I find it helps if you have a partner to have them run you back comfort them. My boyfriend knows how bad my anxiety gets and he runs my back every night so I can fall asleep it's defiantly a labor of love . If you don't have a partner make up breath for a sec let yourself calm a bit tell yourself it's gonna be ok don't check your pulse every 5 secs and analyz it , it doesn't help to do that . Once your at a calm state go get a cold glass of water and read something on your home for a bit or watch t.v for a little like a couple mins however OMG it takes you to get tired again once you do lay down keep on some sound whatever comforts you and breath and start thinking of something u wanna dream of (believe it or not I count shee and I works , crazy I know , literally count bouncing sheep in my head LOL) and just work your way to sleep I hope I helped a bit I know how bad anxiet can be that's why I took the time to try to express what I do just so maybe I can help someone else
Could be triggered by sleep apnea.  Air blockage can trigger the physiological symptoms of breathing, then your adrenaline kicks in and you're jerked awake with no hint of why and thus begins the panic where you search for a reason and find none.  Check this :)
A beer or 2 will def do it, it's the only thing for me or I'll most certainly have them and they get progressively worse every time I go back to sleep
Ask your doctor to change the Zoloft for Deseryl (Trazodone) that you take at bedtime.  It should eliminate the night attacks :-)  Good Luck!

Exact same thing here. I've read through all 11 pages of replies and summarized some things that i'll try out:
-earhphones, music,
-check medicines im taking
-not wake up to a clock, get all hours you need
-relax 2 hour before sleep
-l theanine/magnesium
-betablocker
-take a break, eat, relax, try again,

I've had this before but not as heavy as now. For 3 days, then ive been fine 3 days, now iv'e had it for 3 days again etc. I can't think of any reason for when it shifts other then maybe I did not exercise the days that I were "fine". So ill stop exercise and follow the tips above and see if it works, tonight was 0 hour sleep..

26 years old, (had it first time half a year ago?)
Don't know what it is, but have the same problem trying to nap. I take trozadon at night and it works. There is also a claustrophobic feel to it as well.