Anxiety Community
How can I help my husband?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

How can I help my husband?

My husband has struggled with anxiety his whole life. It's always been in the back of his head, but recently he's hit rock bottom. He's been seeing a counselor for the last 2 months - and I think it's brought his anxiety to the forefront since he is focusing so much on it now. In the last 10 days, he has gone over the edge and he's realized that he needs to do more, so we went and saw his doctor who prescribed him zanax and zoloft. The issue is - he's NOT a pill popper. The man won't even take a tylenol for his worst headache. He's struggling to the point where he is now also depressed and thinks he's going to lose everything in the world. He has taken a few zanax, but he waits until his anxiety is through the roof before he takes it, then it doesn't work too well. He doesn't want to start taking the zoloft until this weekend when he is off from work because he's scared of what it could do to him.

I guess the point of my writing this is - what can I do?? I feel so helpless and sad for him. He's never been like this and it will get better - I know it will, but he's just so desperate and bummed and I feel like there is nothing I can do. I'm supportive, I hold his hand, I tell him things will be okay, and I encourage him to take his meds. Living with him is like walking on egg shells because I can't do anything right... and I know it's not me, I know it's his frustration that's talking. I get that. It's just the hardest thing to have to watch the person you love struggle so bad. So I'm asking you spouses that love someone with severe anxiety/depression and those of you who possibly have anxiety - what else can I do? This is the hardest thing ever. This is just the beginning and I know it'll get better, but to him his world is crashing down and he's hopeless. It's so sad. Any suggestions?
Tags: husband, Anxiety
I have many many suggestions. There is some great news. One, you are an awesome wife and he is lucky you are in his corner, that right there, money can't buy, and doctors can't prescribe. Two, there are many options that don't involve medications. Let me first say that I am not a doctor, and you should always take professional advice over non professional advice.

Please message me if interested, I have about three pages of tips and techniques that will help him. He is not alone, and with your help, he will control this.
Totally agree you are awesome wife. I am the other side of the story. The one with the anxiety. My husband is very supportive but I am the one who needs re-assuring all the time and I think sometimes he gets frustrated, although he does not show it, I can see it. I think patince and trying to understand what he is going through. It's not his fault he feels like that and he is lucky to have you. Re-assure him all the time and maybe drag him out of the house and do things to take his mind off things. it will be a long road as it takes months. You are on the right way.
If you would like, message me and I can give you some basic but powerful tips/techniques to "battle" your anxiety.
I am going to delete this off my watch list, so if you still would like to talk, please message me.
TinaR10 Me and baby are well fighti... Comment
31 mins ago
melimeli commented on Dads Biopsy showed ca...
mishymoshymarcy i dont know why i thought i... Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms