Anxiety Community
How can anxiety not kill you?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

How can anxiety not kill you?

Hey guys ... I have been dealing with anxiety for about two years now. I am no stranger to this website, but I usually hang out in the Heart Rhythm forum, because my anxiety primarily affects my heart. I go through different phases with relation to my anxiety: like the tide, it ebbs and flows. Lately, however, it seems to be flowing and not ebbing, so that I feel that it will eventually drown me.

The thing is that I have read in so many places that anxiety cannot kill you, but I just am not buying it. When I am having a bad panic attack, my heart is racing (REALLY racing, I mean, as in 180 beats per minute), my chest feels tight, and my legs feel weak. I feel that my body will give out at any second. And then I wonder what would happen if, during an attack, something were to scare me further, so that my panic grew worse? Say I was having a panic attack while out walking, and a big dog were to start running towards me. If I were calm, I would be able to deal with the panic that such an event would cause, but if I were already panicking, then wouldn't this second event send my body over the edge? My heart rate would rise again, my chest would grow tighter, and I would die. Wouldn't I? Isn't there a limit to how much panic your body can take, or even to the amount of time it can withstand panic? I am so afraid to do anything these days, for fear that I will finally have a panic attack severe enough to kill me. Some days I can barely leave the house. I have always been opposed to medication, but I am considering for the first time asking my doctor for a prescription. Anxiety is ruining my life, and I am convinced that it is going to end it!! Please help me understand what is happening to me!
Anxiety can have many causes, most of them physical. High cortisol can cause panic attacks. I had a panic attack from an episode of hypoglycemia. Have yourself checked out by a good endocrinologist. It is a mistake to assume that anxiety is always emotional. My guess is that it rarely is.
Jade59 commented on stilltrying1965's status
mishymoshymarcy I AM HEALTHY. I AM HAPPY. I... Comment
CN Tower Flashback
May 29 by Sheri1969
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms