Anxiety Community
How do I find a doctor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

How do I find a doctor?

I haven't seen a doctor in about 5 years because of some traumatic events which escalated my needle phobia.  I know I really should get a physical exam one of these days.  I don't want to risk having another doctor who'd traumatize me further.  I need to know how to find a doctor who:

1. Cares enough to be patient with me
2. Doesn't tell me to "suck it up" or "stop being a wimp" or "it doesn't hurt"
3. Takes me seriously, BEFORE seeing me pass out/wet myself/panic
4. Doesn't respond to a panic attack by repeating my name over and over, shaking me, or doing anything else that'd rattle me further
5. Doesn't just send me to another (inexperienced) guy to get needles because he doesn't want to deal with it.
6. Sees me as a person and not just another insurance policy holder.

I know what you're saying, "this girl wants everything."  But I swear, it seems like it's easier to find a doctor who really should lose his job than one who'd be willing to deal with someone who'd get multiple panic attacks even with the anticipation of a needle.  Do I just open the phone book, pick one at random, and hope for the best?  Or does anyone have any reasonable tips on finding a doctor?
I would recommend that you call the nearest major hospital and ask for their "Physician Referral Hotline." The person answering the phone will ask you what kind of doctor you are looking for and this is where you would tell her your past experiences. She will hook you up with a doctor who works for and with YOU, not the insurance companies.
There are many, many wonderful and compassionate doctors out there. What you endured with yours was inexscusable and he/she should have been reported.
And no, I am NOT saying "this girl wants everything." You are simply asking for the respect which you deserve.

Just a bit of advice, if I may............the next time you see a doctor, and I hope it's soon, take a deep breath and tell them about your past experience, your anxiety, your fear of needles and the fear you have that if you have a panic attack in front of them, they will not handle it with the same method as your other moronic doctor did.

I think if you lay all your cards on the table before the exam even begins, that you will be pleased with the results.
Let us know how it works out, OK?
Peace
Greenlydia
Kermit the Hermit One good thing about music,... Comment
TinaR10 commented on OctoberMommy2014's status
MusiciansWish1990 Had a nice long bike ride a... Comment