Anxiety Community
How long do YOUR panic attacks last and what was your longest you have ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

How long do YOUR panic attacks last and what was your longest you have timed??

mine tonight have been on going since 8:00pm and it is now 10:07
usually they go away after 10mins but tonight I can't stop being a worry wart!
It sounds like your actual panic attack is over, but you're still upset over it.  The panic attack itself never lasts this long, but it can leave us feeling pretty scared and nervous.
Just remember it a natural response coming at the wrong time, and the actual "attack" is just our body's way of trying to handle all the extra adrenaline we were just hit with, but they are not dangerous and always pass.  Keeping yourself active both physically and mentally after one can help with this, you don't want to dwell on what just happened.
Exercise helps with anxiety, and I'm sure you're aware of the benefits of therapy.  I wish you the best and take care.
The actual attack itself for me last about 20-30 minutes but the anxiety from the attack lasts for hours afterwards. I find them exhausting and I dont feel at all like myself sometimes even for a day. I agree with mammo regarding the exercise, it can make a world of difference.
Good Luck
yeah, that is what I timed this one at..about 30mins. I woke up tired, I have a horrid headache that wont go away, feels like pressure behind the eyes and sinus pressure and I am just drained...ugh no advil that I can take...this ***** I honestly feel like I was out drinking all night long
Maybe you are coming down with a cold?
I think the real answer depends on how long it takes you to recognize it as a panic attack.  I remember my first one when I had no idea what was wrong.  It lasted over an hour.  When I educated myself on what caused the panic attacks, I can circumvent them when I just become anxious about something by taking a xanax.  

The thing that has been hitting me the hardest has been the depression and feeling of worthlessness that comes from anxiety prohibiting you from doing some of the basic stuff that came easy before.  That may be what you're feeling after the adrenaline subsides.
I know they are panic attacks..it is just hard once the physical symptoms happen to control them...easier said then done you know?

doesn't help my boyfriend walks in the door and automatically starts yelling and causing me to get upset and angry too...I donot have panic attacks when he is gone...they seem to be when he gets home lately so I am assuming his dead beat *** is the reason
and that is not why I posted this..I wanted to hear others length of Panic attacks not about my own. ;)

I have had Panic attacks since I was 10yrs old I know what they are and how to deal with them.
funny you shoulds say that about the face pain and eye pressure cause all i kept thinking today was that i had a sinus infection that was gunna kill me.... this has been about 5 weeks already since this started ever since my Dad died...i hope it subsides..i feel like crap..im 34  and this has never happened to me before...I also just went through opiate withdrawals ..been clean 23 days but i feel like hell
Mines last quite a while... Cause I couldn't calm myself down, one lasted 3-4 hours before I was close to passing out! But the anxiety is always there for me! It's horrid and exhausting I no it's easy to say but just saying ( and believing- you must believe) that it's just a panic attack and it won't harm u x
Ok so I guess I do have panic attacks/anxiety. Can panic attacks just start out with rapid heart rate?? When my rapid heart rate goes crazy thats when I get so worried I feel I cant stay in control, I feel like im gonna die, and breathing fast! Last one lasted 3hours. This only happens to me at night!
1. have you been diagnose with Panic attacks?
2. Have you seen a cardiolagist to make sure you donot have a heart condition?
3. Do you drink alot of caffine and or sugary things?

If the answers are all yes then yes it is a panic attack and because your adrenilan is going it causes people to have racing, rapid hearts (fight or flight responce to danger) it could come out of nowhere....My panic attacks happen at night...same time damn near..
I just posted my journal of my panic attack. sometimes I get them earlier around 6-7 and sometimes 8-9..in this case 10:00ish?? I am fighting racing heart, short of breathe, dizzy and feeling sick..Trigger (thinking I maybe pregnant.) I have certain triggers
To: MayMayMeemers

My doc diagnose me with anxiety and little high blood pressure. I have been to a cardiolagist but its been 6years ago and its been a week and half i been eating healthy and drink lots of water and diet drinks. I drink coffee once a day. This rapid heart rate has only happened to me 4times within 1year. It just comes out of nowhere and only happens at night. It last from 15mins to 3hours. Im wondering if im having a panic attack and freak myself even more and thats why I think they last longer. Im a very worried person and think when Im finally resting myself at night, it happens...if they are attacks.
Diet drins (soda) are not good for you. as far as blood pressure, if you were checked when you had a panic attack that is the reason..chances are it is anxiety but you need to see your dr about it especially if you are eatting healthy and not having much triggers

For my racing heart it lasts as long as I think about it, the more someone thinks about the symptoms the more you will have them.
mind over matter..if you turn your attention to something else it should go away. ;)

now the waking up and laying back down with ringing ears and feeling tense with repeative dreams *****!
To: MayMayMeemers

Thanks I will even try to stay away from diet sodas! When I did see my doc about my racing heart, all she told me could be signs of attacks and anxiety and thats why see referred me to a therapist to teach me ways to calm my attacks and anxiety so well see how that goes. She also told me to start eating healthy, workout, and stay away from salt lol because im a salt freak!

That is so true about what you said...the longer we think about it, the more something thinks about the symptoms!!! Thats totally me ugh! Thanks for the advice!
hehe, that is me too!!my pani attacks are from pets dying. I lost my 14yr old cat in November and I got depressed in mid (almost end of December) so I have been fighting them off....they get so bad sometimes that when I move I have a panic attack and it *****!!!!!
Sorry to hear about your cat! I had a cat once and she was my baby! I had her for 16years and was very hard on me when she passed. I think I have many attacks that deal with any death, and I fear of death and I wish I can stop thinking what I think and control it! At night I constantly check on my kids to make sure they are breathing..I think I have OCD too! I just wish I can stop being such a worried person and controll my anxiety and attacks! All of this started when I lost my job 4years ago and it messed me up so much I went through alot! After that I have not been the same!
mishymoshymarcy What in the world am i doin... Comment
nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
LindaTX uploaded a new photo