Anxiety Community
How to relieve nervous/tight chest?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

How to relieve nervous/tight chest?

Does anyone have any suggestions for relief from chest tension? I experience chest tightness and tension, almost nervousness of my chest. Breathing exercises don't seem to help. It usually sets in during the afternoon, and can last for several hours.
Hello Zootal~I can relate to what you are saying, I have had that exact same feeling. For me, the tightness was due to trying to take so many deep breaths when I was anxious, and this was causing the muscles in my chest area to over work, thus, they started to hurt and get tight, it was a vicious circle. Have you tried taking a warm bath, that was one thing that really helped me, in fact, the entire time I was in the tub, I could breath beautifully, the heat and moisture helped to relax me.
Well, my breathing hasn't been that great lately, and this does start up in the afternoon. It kinda makes sense. It seems to go away at about 5am or so. I tried chamomile tea last night, but didn't halp much.
So I'm thinking this is just another of those anxiety things that comes to visit for a few days and then subsides. It wasn't as bad last night, but it still keeps me from sleeping. Been doing this for not quite a week now. It is as if my chest is nervous - it is tense and shakes, the kind of shivering you get when you are cold. When it first did it I thought I was chilled, but I was warm and sweating at the time. Weird.
Swollentoe commented on photo
25 mins ago
jerialice I am probably cured!!!! yee... Comment
38 mins ago
Swollentoe commented on franceslee's status
41 mins ago