Anxiety Community
I feel like my brain is twitching..

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

I feel like my brain is twitching..

This has been occurring for the past 6 or so months. It started out as just once a week, and now it happens multiple times a day. My brain will suddenly feel like something is crawling on it, or like there is a vibrating phone sitting on it, or like its twitching or jumping.Sometimes it feels sourta like my brain is too big for my skull.. or like its trapped and trying to get out. Its not painful. But it is extremely disorienting and a scary feeling. Also directly after the sensation happens I get nauseous and dizzy. The only way this feeling goes away is if I quickly shake my head side to side. I am also told that I twitch sometimes without noticing. Sometimes I don't even realize I am shaking my head, kinda embarrassing when it happens in class and people stare at me like i'm nuts. This usually throws off my concentration, which makes test taking very difficult. I'd like to see a doctor for this, but I don't know what kind to go to, Is this a brain/nerve issue. Or am I just crazy. The symptoms seem too mild to be Tourette's. I'm scared that I have a tumor or something in my brain. A 24 year old friend of mine died out of nowhere from a brain tumor, was diagnosed and then died 3 days later. So you can understand my paranoia on this. Hopefully others experience my same symptom, then I wont be so worried. Is this really a symptom of Anxiety? I am a college student, struggling with work and school, but I really don't feel stressed, and I get at least 8-12 hours of sleep per night. I enjoy life, and have a wonderful boyfriend. If this is anxiety, what kind of doctor would I speak with, and can they do anything to help my irritating symptom?
Your PCP will direct you to the proper specialist.  It sounds vascular, similar to what migraines do without the headache, but that's a guess.
hi Amanda,

I've been dealing with a lot of the same symptoms. I get a tingly feeling in my head like my brain is trying to 'jump' or glitch out. I get racing heart and high blood pressure. These cause or come with nausea and severe dizziness, disorientation and sometimes confusion. All of these extreme conditions of course make me panic like crazy and only makes it worse. These symptoms can come out at anytime of the day for me but they are worse at night when I am about to sleep/lay down. My doctor believes it could be Sleep Apnea, Aniexty, or Acid Reflux. He pointed out the fact that I put on about 50 pounds in the last 5 years.
  Right now until they do more tests he's treating me with Klonopin. I take it at night before I sleep, because these symptoms would manifest at night and wake me or keep me from sleeping. The Klonopin works very well for now, but I still get those weird feelings from time to time.
   I've been told my condition can be related to Sleep Apnea, Anxiety , Acid Reflux, Liver, Lung, or Heart function, Thyroid problems, Inner ear problems, seizures, Viral disease of the inner ear, lungs, or heart, or even in the brain, Migraines, hormone imbalance, low testostorone, Adrenaline. So the list of things it could be is long.
  My doctor took a lot of blood and did a series of tests. No diabetes. White count fine. No diseases(not sure what all he checked for, hepatitis and HIV i'm sure).  EKG was fine. Thyroid was fine. My vitals were mostly fine. Blood pressure and heart rate were both elevated 155/100 and bp:120. Which you may hear some people say that's not bad because they've seen worse. But when my vitals are like that I feel like crap. If i'm at 120/80 with a 75bp then I feel great. (i'm 36 year old male btw)
  So I'm being treated with the Klonopin for Anxiety issues. And Hydrochlorot(water pill) for high blood pressure. Was told to lose some weight and cut back on salt. Was also told to get someone to listen to me snore to see how bad it was (he thinks I may have Sleep Apnea too).
  And yeah the strangest part is I know my life has stress in it, but I never thought I was the anxious type or not dealing with my stress. I've always felt mostly calm and dealing with life. But from what I understand it doesn't 'work that way'. Your stress still can get to you and cause these conditions.
  I guess the overall feeling of something happening like this is hard for most(ones who dont go through it) to grasp. You panic when this happens. You are afraid for your very life. And this overwhelming feeling of "I'm going to die" comes over you. The feeling of DOOM is so powerful that it makes you panic even more. (havent passed out yet, but sometimes it feels like I'm close. It's such a scary feeling) I've even felt that an 'outside force' was after me. Yeah I know that sounds crazy, but when you get in that super panic mode you start thinking of all kinds of things and get confused and paranoid and irrational.
  When my brain 'twitches' I know I'm about to have a 'panic attack'. I get nervous and have that sense of doom. During the attack my brain gets hyper, my heart races, I sometimes feel like I should just stop and lay down in the fetal position wherever I am, and this has happened to me in public a lot, especially stores. What I usually do is stop and lean on something and close my eyes and tell myself everything is ok. Sometimes shaking my head or very slowing turning and twisting my head from side to side helps. Sometimes I lightly pat my chest, or try to force a cough (funny thing is a cough sometimes clears it right up). Controlling my breathing really really helps.
  For my case my doctor believes it is anxiety related. He also didnt want to alarm me but these things can be related to CHF- Congestive Heart Failure or cancer. Those are big ones you don't want to hear about. But the list of 'what could it be' is so long that it can get discouraging.
  Just stay as happy as you can and know that others are going through it too. So many of us get the run around, get many many tests done and hear all these 'possible' causes, but none of us ever seem to get a diagnosis of what exactly is wrong. It's scary, but we live with it and keep going. Of course I'm just a sufferer like you and not a doctor, so stay on your doctor's butt and get him/her to stay after this thing and figure it out.
Hi guys my boyfriend does the samething he shakes his from side to side he said it feels like something crawling in his brain. He also makes this mooing noise that is relieving pressure heu said. He also has really bad acid reflux and hesaid his esophagus gets sore. Hes had a brain injury and we are hoping its not that.
hi i  have same problem like you head twich and my ct scan blood report are normal. i have this hed twich problem last two years when was my  accident . what i do please tel me
i been having the same symptoms my heart will race when im trying to go to to sleep and my my brain only twitch during the day and i feel weak at the same time someone help me what could it be......
I have this symptom of brain twitching too, seems to coenside with irrational thoughts. From what I can gather it seems to be caused by inflammation due to whatever cause. Be that stress, poor diet, bad lifestyle choices (smoking, drinking in excess, drugs, ect) lack of sleep, high blood pressure or over exertion.

Today I was reading about the different ion channels (calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium ect) within the human body and how the balence and concentrations of these ions/electrolytes can alter your bodies bio-rhythms. The articles I read indicate that beyond consuming high concenrations in your diet the only other way to optimize these channels is through excersie and cognitive  stimulation. I should note with an increase diet of antioxidants more excersie is required to activate these channels and reap the health benefits of "opened" channels. The antioxidants delay muscle soreness (by prevent inflammation) so worth it in that regard, but should be consumed in moderation and from healthy food sources, in my opinion.

Anyways,to help treat this "brain spasm" symptom I have given up smoking Marijuana, drinking, bad sleep habits, poor dietary choices and am replacing with the healthy choices. Smoking, I believe, will be the biggest game changer.

Stay hydrated.
mishymoshymarcy If you think you've tried y... Comment
May 01
rocketgirl1210 I have returned! :) Comment
Apr 30
refills, and 10356 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Apr 30
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms