Anxiety Community
I love someone who has Staphylococcus aereus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Since we met I am not able to kiss, touch gently or make love to this person since I know of the staphylococcus he has in his leg. I want to know if it is contagious, I am being very difficult not accepting his touch or kiss or making love, yet he has been very patient, and I feel something for him. Any advice? Should I not sleep with him?
I'm a hypochondriac anyway so do not need more anxiety in my life
Why don't you go with him to his doctor and find out for yourself.
Yes you can get staph from him. You. Can get it if you use the same towel he does. Usually with time and meds it will go away. He can be tested to see if he's a carrier of the virus. A nasal swab will tell you if he's a carrier Some people are carriers and it will come back.
A staph infection is indeed contagious.  Typically, to avoid transmission, thorough hand washing, and avoiding contact with any drainage, and the wound itself should be sufficient.  Staph isn't sexually transmitted, so you don't have to avoid intimacy.

I also wanted to address Amey's post above.  For starters, staph is a bacteria, not a virus, and the nasal swab she's talking about wouldn't be applicable in your situation, as you're talking about a localized staph infection in a wound, which has already been diagnosed.  The nasal swab is typically done in hospitals and nursing homes, to prevent nosocomial infections (hospital/facility acquired).

So, to reiterate, you can avoid getting a staph infection by avoiding contact with his wound (and wound drainage), and anything that comes in contact with the wound (towels, clothing).  Frequent hand washing is the best defense, even if you haven't come in contact with the wound.

Worst case scenario, should you get a staph infection, it's not the end of the world, and MOST staph infections are easily treated with antibiotics.  The media hype and scare about staph infections and the "superbug" stories really are overly dramatized.  Even a "superbug" would respond to some kind of antibiotic, just not the more commonly used ones.

Hope this helps.
I'm a Ma and we have done them in the office because we had pt passing it back and forth to each other and we found that a child was the carrier  
I didn't mean for it to come off neg just what I have seen your right about the contact park but I have had pt better in 3 weeks some had to go to wound managements or 6 months to get rid of it just better to be safe then sorry :-)
Oh, absolutely, some staph infections are hard to treat and are significant, I agree.  I just don't want the OP to avoid all contact with her partner based on a localized wound.  :0)
jerialice I am probably cured!!!! yee... Comment
8 mins ago
Swollentoe commented on franceslee's status
11 mins ago
Deeply_Disturbed commented on Reoccurring BV
14 mins ago