Anxiety Community
Is .5mg ativan enough?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Is .5mg ativan enough?

I was recently diagnosed with panic disorder and have only had 1 real "attack" after this diagnosis where I didn't call an ambulance (as I had been recently diagnosed I had medication to use for the attack). I was prescribed ativan (.5 mg) but hadn't picked up my prescription yet so took 2 mg of xanax that my dad had laying around. The xanax worked great, calmed me down in about 20 minutes, but I'm worried about "only" taking .5mg of ativan during my next attack. Is .5 sufficient, or should I try taking a little more (1 mg)? I've only had about 3 attacks and they scare the hell out of me so I'd prefer not to take .5mg if it's not going to work, and instead take something that will.
ativan is way weaker than xanax, im prescribed .5 mg. myself of ativan,and they will work,at least they do for me, as everyone is different.you can take up to 2mg a day so as long as you dont go over that youll be alright.but take it before you go somewhere or whatever triggers your attacks and during,obviously.but dont expect it to be like xanax.i loved em they worked the best but ativan does what its supposed too,trial and error

cheers
Ok...be very careful about advice you recieve here on the forum.  While many of us have dealt with or used this we are by no means doctors or pharmacists...NOONE, to include potato's post, are qualified to tell you how to take your medication.  The ONLY way to do it, is as it is prescribed by your doctor.  If you have concerns about its effectiveness go back and talk to him/her.  Furthermore, mixing medications and using other's prescriptions is VERY foolish and not recommended.  This can have disasterous results.  

Sorry to be so upfront about this, but nothing good can come when you take these meds into your own hands.  I am a proponent of them as long as you take them as instructed.  I have seen bad things happen when people go off on their own...plus you are going to just exacerbate the situation and you do not need to put yourself through this...please do not hesitate to ask as many questions as you like!! Let me know how it goes!
(.5mg) of ativan is totally different than 2mg of xanax. I've never taken xanax, but I know it's more than likely stronger that ativan. But still, don't just take anyones advice here if they tell you its okay to take more than your Dr. told you to take.

I only take .5mg of ativan, WHEN NEEDED! And I don't need it very often at all. Matter of fact, I can say that I've been blessed not to have taken it for about 5 months!

But do whatever the Dr. tells you to do. Try it, it may work great for you.

It's a milder xanax. But it's not as addicting. But beware, ativan can be addicting too! That's why its very important to take it as directed, and do not up your dosage just b/c you want to. Always check with your doctor.

Also, try not to take it everyday, if possible. You can also develop physical withdrawls when you stop. So just make sure and used as directed.

Best of luck to ya!
char1234vass :) Comment
LindaTX commented on margypops's status
LindaTX commented on mkh9's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms