Anxiety Community
Is it really anxiety or am i dying!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Is it really anxiety or am i dying!

Ok i need help, i cant live like this anymore. Ive been to the doctor so many times and he says he's 95% sure its anxiety, but i just CANT stop thinking its something terrible like in my brain or something? Is what im experiencing really anxiety? I just cant believe it. My symptoms are -
Headaches, Pressure on top of my head and behind my eyes, Feeling like im always in a dream, Heart palpitations, heart skipping a beat, chest feels hollow, confusion, fuzzy eyesight, weird rapid eye movements, electric shock feeling in my head, electric feeling in my hands/arms/legs, low pitched buzzing noise in my ears, depersonalization, always tensing parts of my body, neck cracking, sore neck, feeling on edge all the time, feeling as if the floor is moving, feel like i cant take a deep enogh breath, cant concentrate on anything, cant keep still, dizzyness, burning head.......

PLEASE let me know if you think this is anxiety!!! Im so stressed out, i was completely fine 2 months ago, how could this have happened so quick? Ive had a blood test, urin test and heart monitor which seamed to be fine. My blood pressure is normal too. I take 80mg beta blockers everyday, they slow my heart but thats all.

Does anyone know how to help me, it would be grate to just be able to sit still.
Thanks.
When we worry too much over something it is bound to become a lot worse. That is what you have done over the past 2 months. Nothing but worried yourself about your situation. The more you go on worrying about it the worse it will still become. So step one is accepting the truth. You are not dying. ANXIETY. Small word that packs a big punch. A word you have to get used to. A condition you have to learn to deal with. It is not easy. Nobody is saying it is. Life can be made feel like hell as a result of it. But we either make it better or make it worse. It depends on our actions. Accepting that is only anxiety is not easy. Some people think of mental health. Mental. Small word. But to some people they associate mental with mad. So they don't want to have any sort of mental health problems. Not only are you not dying. But you are not mad either.

Time to start fighting back. Even if it means slowly. Take back your life. If you had tests done you have to accept the results of those tests. Look at the positive side of things.It is nothing other than a condition that can be dealt with. You have all the typical symptoms of anxiety. From your dream like state ( derealization ) to the sore body parts. That's the defensive mode we go into when we sense danger. Bound to hurt the muscles of the body. On edge all the time too. Why do you not think this is anxiety?

First step back to life is to accept it is anxiety. Until you do that you will always be fighting with yourself. Mind versus body. The mind telling the body it is far worse. The body might just accept what the mind is telling it. That we don't want. So come on. Let's see a bit of fight. You can do it. Face up to that anxiety and say ' I am ready for you '. It will begin to get weaker the more you take it on. Fight or flight. The days of flight you have to put behind you and try to start the fight back. We are all here for you.
Thanks for your kind words MrGreen. I know i need to do something, im just freaking out 100% of the time, i feel crazy, im always running my fingers through my hair and crying a lot. I just wish all the weird physical sensations would go away, i dont know how to fight this!
Thanks again.
hi there please dont worry  i know its hard to accept  but believe me anxiety can make u feel as if everythings worse than it really is been suffering 2yrs now  ibelieve me those headaches eye neck probs have sent me crazy because like you i convinced myself that was somthing drastic   wrong  please take a step back a deep breath and just tell yourself that this is going to pass  its easy for me to say may be hard for you to do but with help and support you will get there honestly  there a great bunch on this forum and theres always help whenever you need it take care now  ps your not crazy or mad these symptoms will start to ease and mr greens right if u start to acept your anxietys things will gradually start to feel better.  always here anytime jane
I feel your pain, and like you I suffer with anxiety, Mr. Green is right, you have to fight back. that is what did and still doing. I developed anxiety after my father died when I was 17, I thought I was going to die too, lost half of my twenties because of anxiety. I am now 37. when I was younger, iI was on sedatives and iI told myself that Ido not want to be dependant on medication. Istop with that one statment. started to live my life, excersie, hang out , travel ect.I got mild attacked a couple of time through out the years, but I found a way to control it. I just focused on somthing like the trees or flowers and take deep breaths. I was fine until recently a friend died suddenly and I had a mild one, then within the same week a co-worker died suddenly. That was too much for me I got a major attack and could not control it on my own. My doctor give me sedative to bring me down to my usual self. So I am on my way to getting back to my self, I still have thougths that someting is wrong with me...but I have to keep telling myself I am fine...cause all my test said so.I have started excercising again. You are going to be just fine, just accept that you have anxiety and learn how to deal with it, so you can control it. Also it is good to have a friend to lean on who understands and won't judge you and think of you as week or mental...which you are not. By the way, I had have of your simptoms too.
Fighting back is never easy when you start out. But what is the worst thing that can happen to you? If you are feeling bad and feel a panic attack come on, why not just let it hit you. It may sound stupid. But the more we fight things the worse we make them. If we were to face the fear it would get a little bit easier every time. I didn't just run back out. I took it slowly. Front door first. Garden then. Had to adjust to the feelings it was bringing with it. I let them hit me. Didn't fight them. Was fed up doing that. I was amazed at how much better it made me feel. Just to be able to even know I could fight back. That was a great moral victory. Just the knowing alone. It may take time. But try and take those small steps. Bit by bit. You will get there in the end and you will look back and see what you beat into the ground and be so proud of yourself.
Stop think anf listen to what i am going to tell you i know how you feel .. and i have a way to stop it. go to google write how to clear anxiety and click on the first one then as you can see in the bottem write your amial adress then write your name and clikc free instant acces this will help you then click the first youtube clip watch it its about 14 minutes and i can assure you that it will change your life forever but you must do the tecnic if u want to change your life .this is the  only way the docters arnt gunna do u good they will make things worse u need to thin of relaxation and occupy the mind with good stuff not bad stuff as u must know the mind is unconsious it dosnt know the difference between real and fake plz dolook at this site it will help u alot and good luck xx
Thanks so much, I will defo look at that sight right now Yazzi.
Just wondering, does anyone else feel like their in a state of panic most of the time, like intense fear? I do get the panic attacks sometimes but i seem to be suffering all the time, anyone else like this?
Thanks again.
yes I can relate to feeling in a state of panic all the time, its pretty extreme niamac.  I too find myself running my fingers through my hair, just constantly nervous.  Its like my body can't shut down ever, and when I consiously try to relax, it gets worse.  Every little twinge, head movement, muscle spasm, vision difficulty, tense moment, I get nerve racked that its something horrible, and I look for my car keys, phone, pills, etc to make sure I'm close to help if I need it.  Constant stomach aches, diarrhea, every day, its just wearing me down, but I do like Mr. Green's advice, I am going to try some of that out if possible.  We are here for ya.
Its defently anxiety,
and i am with you right now.
i keep thinking the doctors are missing somehting and i have a brain tumor or something.
but i have to accept that these symtoms (symptoms) and thoughts are all ANXIETY.
horrible word, i know.
8 years of it over here.
and therapy is making it better.
i take meds, and im gettin on the way to getting better.
Mr. Green explained it pretty through, hes good by the way.
Its all anxiety, all in your head.
Just think positive, i know its hard. BELIEVE me.
but you gotta try..
:)
Hello Niamac,

I read your posting and I am not a doctor, but I tend to believe that your symptoms reflect anxiety.  First of all, you did not say whether you are taking any drugs for anxiety. I am a certified hypnotist and I believe that your anxiety can be desensitized and that you can live a better life.  I suggest that you send me a message and I can talk to you about what hypnosis is and how it may help you.  If you would like you can watch my video you can get a glimse of how hypnosis works.  http://video.yahoo.com/watch/195439/1265875.  If you would like to learn more at no cost to you please contact me and I can refer you to a qualified person who works in this area.   Steve
I agree totally with MrGreen's advice. You are over analyzing what you are experiencing thus makign it harder to deal with. Anxiety is hard to cope with, making your situation wrose and causing other health problems. Like Mr Green said, take back your life.

I find deep breathing exercises help me a lot and writing in a journal. I literally have to take  astep back from my life and view my life as kind of an out of body experience, looking down on myself and I giude myself through the difficult time or the actual anxiety attack itself.  Doing this has saved my sanity and I havent' felt a pane of anxiety for well over one year now.
I know i should be fighting, i just wish i could believe that it is anxiety.
I have been suffering for 17 years. I have terrible panic and it's all about me dying. I always feel that I am just about to have a heart attack, any small pain or feeling of dicomfort sends my mind into a panic. I assume it is a sign of doom. I am 48 years old, I remember the first one just like it was yesterday, Dec 24, 1992. I have never been the same. I can't seem to take anti-depressants, they just don't agree with my chemistry. So I am stuck taking a Xanax and closing my eyes and waiting for it to pass. I sometimes call a family memeber or friend to talk me through it. I am miserable, and don't know what to do either. It is a terrible feeling and it's not right. I have done some research and found that some think it is heritiary. After talking to my aunt, it seems my grandmother, and her son, my dad had them also. Always feeling they were about to die.
I don't have the answers....I wish I did, I really don't want to live like this. It's embarrassing, My doctor is great, he knows that I come to see him for any little thing, and he is very paitent with me. But I want it to be over....
Me too! I've been to the doctor about once every 3months or so,lots of bloodwork,visit to the ER.They did a EKG(fine) but no MRI.I have daily anxiety have had panic attacks.Had about every anxiety symptom plus add a few.They always say its ANXIETY! I just have a hard time beleiving this is all just anxiety.I'm so tired of feeling this way,tired of meds that don't work or just space you out,and tired of trying to find the major illness that i think is causing my symtoms (symptoms).So many of the anxiety symtoms (symptoms) are so similar to major illness,why do they just label it without checking it out! It so hard to deal with this too when you have family members tell you that everybody gets nervous so get over it.Trust me I would like them to go through what I've been through,then we see who's just nervous.
It sounds to me like anxiety.I never would have thought I'd develope anxiety. I was very outgoing. great job. great friends... I was always healthy as can be until one day i got suddenlly dizzy and everything went downhill. over 3 months time i had bloodwork, ultrasounds, mri, thyoird tests, ekg, chest xray. Everything comes back just fine. Medication is starting to help me somewhat.
hi there first of all, and you sound just like me im always saying im ill my friends call me hypocondriacte howeva u spell it ha... it is not nice what your feeling and i know exactly how you feel,your mind racing of all time and sometimes you feel your loosing it,because your body is anxious all the time we constantly feel stressed, i was on beta blockers for 4 years ! and i came of them yes they did help,but i wanted to be free of medication and felt useless being on them..
i have recently started councilling and it seems ok but i only been few times i just hope it works...as its afectin my whole life ..probly like it is with you, dont rush onto tablets try therapy first.. i mean we all know what to do to get better and thats to get out there fight our fears and have will power..... but its hard to do :0)
I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, I never thought of myself as a depressed person but i have had alot of childhood traumas and grew uop too fast. I guess i was too busy to ever notice?? anyway i also had the bloodwork etc. i see a therapist and psychiatrist because i thought i was going CRAZY, but in fact anxiety is just irrational. We get to a point in our life where we run out of coping skills, so yes it can happen to anyone. Anyway please make sure you find and search for a therapist you are comfortable with and a psych dr. because they are the people who specialize in these medications and cognitive thinking. It takes time but you need to be "open minded" is key! Good luck to all of you. there is hope I have been fighting this for 2 months and go to school through all of this with being a mom and wife. so there is hope just stay positive!
hi i know u posted this years ago and i hope u are much better. i just thought i would post this anyway in case anyone else who needs help is reading this.

ill start my story... since ive been a child ive suffered to some degree with OCB. most children get over this but mine sorta stayed on. baiscall ill always have some issue which controls my life and it seems the only way i can get rid of it is by adopting another one. take a few years back, for example, i was convinced i had bad body odour. i believed it so much that i would get anxious around public places or work that i would start to nervously sweat. this actually caused me to have BO. basically this controlled my life and i was so desperate.

fast forward now to nov 2010. one of the new issues i developed was a feeling of light headedness almost like i was fainting almost a year before. this was at first on rare occasions. usually in public. it got more frequent and by the above date it was almost everyday. at work i would often look up what it could be until one day i read that it could be MS. this freaked me out big time. i started shaking. i read the symptoms and they seemed exactly like what i had. although there were many more i didnt have.

it seemed almost right away i was feeling the other symptoms too. like shock feelings in my fingers, weird visual disturbances like bright little flashes out the corners of my eyes. basically i woke up one night screaming and feeling this absolute despair and surrealism. my heart was on hyperspeed i was sweating, i was convinced i was dying. this was my first panic attack. the next few days i was a nervous wreck.

it got slightly better until again about 2 weeks later i had a panic attack at work. this time i was convinced i had a brain tumour and i was in the last few minutes of my life. i was in the toilet on the floor hugging myself crying. panick attack number two. this was way worse than the other. lasted bout 5 mins but then got a colleague to drive me home and i was super high strung for 2 days at least.

i went to see my dr and upon initial check up he said i had nothing to worry about. he gave me a referral to a neurologist and said i should go see her just to rest my mind that i didnt have MS or tumours. took me 3 months to get to see her. they were quite tense times, although i had no more serious panick attacks i still had the visual glitches and shot nerves.

when i got to see the specialist almost right away i felt comfort by her knowledge and  professionalism. basically she did a few tests on me and asked me a lot of questions and along along she was smiling saying "trust me, you dont have MS or a tumor" she told me my symptoms were only minimal and if i had ms i would know about it. she basically told me it was anxiety and i should see a psychiatrist. she said the internet is great for finding out about a disease once you have it but its not very accurate for diagnosis as things like MS have pretty much every symptom possible. basically she told me to stop looking up diseases on the net.

another good thing she did also was explain to me how when you believe in your mind something. you start to feel it physically. basically your body always has little twitches and jolts but ur brain is good at blocking this stuff out as it is useless info which takes away resources from more important processes. when you are conscious of these though, every little feeling is magnified by ur brain making it seems 100 times worse.

finally the final thing she did for me, to help the healing process is to book me in for an EEG test and an MRI just to prove to me there was nothing physically wrong. both were free. the eeg was to rule out epilepsy as she said there was a slight outside chance that the faint feeling could be some form of it. the mri was to prove i didnt have tumours or ms. results came back and wrote me and my gp a diagnosis letter, basically saying it was more than likely down to anxiety and i was completely physically healthy, neurologically. she was right. this was a huge relief for me.

she advised me to see a shrink which i didnt do because i felt so much better already. i tried to source what the anxiety could be from. i remembered that not long before all this happened i was looking at getting help with my lethargy and the main reason for this i thought was lack of sleep or improper sleep. i was going to book into a sleep clinic to see if i had sleep apnea. but once i flipped out i forgot about this.

it made sense to me. lack of sleep is a very serious problem. apart from heart diseases and immune deficiencies... it can cause havoc on ur nervous system and mind. basically i tried to rest every opportunity and although my sleep still wasnt very good i had a lot of r n r time and noticed a huge difference. when i have poor or lack of sleep i find my symptoms are a lot worse and i am slightly on edge. when i have good sleep im am much more stable.

i am booked into a sleep clinic now to see if i can improve even more. but i am convinced this is the main cause of my issues. years of bad sleep caught up to me. i also made sure my diet was good and i had plenty of vitamin b intake. exercise. very important.

i hope this has helped, even one person. im sorry it is so long but i felt i had to make all those points in case there is even one similarity with another person which might help them.

basically the moral to my story is this. the main cause to my anxiety was lack of sleep in my opinion. this doesnt mean its everyones' cause. but if you look hard enough you will find the source of the impending doom feeling which comes down at you like a lead weight. and although you may feel like its all over, remember anxiety can make the most remarkable sensations feel like they are 100% real. your mind is extremely powerful.

my advice is see a dr. if you feel its something serious get a referral to a specialist. once they tell you your crazy :) you actually feel so much better. when you rule out any physical problems (which is hopefully the case) it will be your first big step to recovery. then you can focus on what you think the cause of the anxiety might be and hone in on it.

good luck. i hope i helped someone out there. even if its just one person.  
I hope you still read this...because I know what is wrong with you...it sounds like you have Chiari malformation of the Brain......seriously....I hope someone helps you...because with surgery you can be normal again...Hope you read this...blessings
Sorry you were misdiagnosed...you have Adrenal Fatigue or Insufficiancy...you can look that up and see you have all of the symptoms of it......also for panic attacks or anxious feelings you have a GABA deficiency..so I would get your Adrenal Glands tested at an endrocrinologists and also your thyroid tested...and if those are normal completely normal then I would try the GABA .....it helps you sleep too.....good luck and I hope you take my advice
sounds like you have adrenal failure or low Vitamin D...please get those 2 checked out before you believe the old Anxiety Depression is doing it excuse the doctors give to everyone.
Did you get your ADRENALS tested...you didn't mention that one and it causes symptoms similar to anxiety
Have had anxiety disorder all my life and I'm now 37yrs old. Didn't get help untill I was 18. Have been on Zoloft since 18. Had therapy to learn self talk. Struggles everyday but I do it with Gods help. And I'm a mother of two
The symptoms you describe are IDENTICAL to the ones I have lived with for neon 3 years. I also get restless legs and arms at night and throughout the day. I also fear I am dying every day and yet death never seems to come. Logically I know I'm not dying but then I get a feeling, and the thought creeps back! After reading the comment from MrGreen and hearing your symptoms, I am MUCH more reassured that this is simply anxiety and NOTHING else. Thanks for showing me that there ARE other people out there monkeybishop. And hey, if it helps get yourself a hobby! This is mine: www.youtube.com/user/daazzaa491
The symptoms you describe are IDENTICAL to the ones I have lived with for neon 3 years and I'm only 16. I also get restless legs and arms at night and throughout the day. I also fear I am dying every day and yet death never seems to come. Logically I know I'm not dying but then I get a feeling, and the thought creeps back! After reading the comment from MrGreen and hearing your symptoms, I am MUCH more reassured that this is simply anxiety and NOTHING else. Thanks for showing me that there ARE other people out there monkeybishop. And hey, if it helps get yourself a hobby! This is mine: www.youtube.com/user/daazzaa491
ok, so everthing u just said that was wrong with you is whats wrong with me except i havent went to the doc. the in dream like state is killing me an i almost got in a car accident because of it. im taking anxiety meds my mom gave me but thats it. just cant believe everything u said ur dealing with ive been dealing with for 2 years :(
its just such a scary thing to live with
It is so reassuring to read all of these comments. I have been struggling with all these physical symptoms and have had every test done in the book. Everything is normal. But the symptoms are so strong and I can't seem to overcome them. I feel lost and its stressing me out more because I feel like there's something the doctors aren't finding. Thanks for listening.
I know this is from 2008 but I want to comment I go through the same thing can't remember anything feel like I'm not even in the real world I try to relax but I'm tense so I twitch all the time feels like I'm breathing in a balloon my ears pop like water dripping in a faucet dizzy my eye sight is going away tons of pressure behind my eyes pulsing all the time feel my heart beat in my ears and head shakey (shaky) sore all over sometimes my arms and stuff jump on their own I can't hold my head still it's non stop just so many things I mostly always think it's my brain one time I thought I had a stroke I didn't feel right weak walking leaned backward I dunno it's just always something I hope you've found help I still go through this and my doctors won't help me I'm 28 and I feel like I'm dying everyday
okay here are my symptoms i have blurry vision feel like im not really here all the time i have pressure on the top of my head im dizzy when i stand up i can barley get any sleep i dont know what to do i feel like killing myself but i know that isnt the right answer please help me through this it would mean a lot if someone helped me throuhg it i have told my parents and they said its nothing but i know its something i want to see medical attention but they wont let me how do i get through this on my own i really dont think i can get through it its really hard for me it just keeps getting worse and worse please help me figure this out
Hey. Stay strong, better times will come.
Initially you really do need to put your mind at ease by geting yourself checked out by your doctor. Ignore your parents if you have to, its just something you have to do. If everything comes back clear, you can then be certain that it is anxiety that you are dealing with.

Even though you may not have the support of your family, there is plenty of support out there for you. Support from people that have been through it and actually understand what you are going through and will help you to get through it. Google is your friend. Try CBT in your local area.

I can recommend that you read "at last a life" from: http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk - I am in no way associated with this website but I found it very useful during my own recovery. Acceptance is the main focus of your recovery. Meditation will also give your mind and body a well deserved break. Over a few days you will be surprised at the outcome.

I must add that it is not all plain sailing but you can do it, you just have to believe it with everything that you are. Try to stay positive.
Your reply was very helpful, but I just wanted to point out that this thread is very old, and most (if not all) of the participants of this thread aren't active on the site anymore.

Try browsing the main page of the anxiety community using this link, so you can help people who are currently looking for input and support:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/71?camp=msc

Thanks!
ditch6755 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
26 mins ago
lulu747 commented on 7+ months off Subutex...
39 mins ago
digger1976 commented on 7+ months off Subutex...