Anxiety Community
Is it safe to use Xanax long term?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Is it safe to use Xanax long term?

I have a mild anxiety disorder, and I have been prescribed Xanax. I very rarely take it, honestly only about once a month, when I am having a really bad day. The reason I do it is because I have I.B.S. and G.E.R.D. These conditions combined can make me feel weak and bloated, and give me severe chest pain. This is what causes me anxiety, and I'm pretty sure these conditions are not going away anytime soon. I have seen posts from people that use Xanax multiple times a day, and that can cause addiction/withdrawal problems; I am just wondering if I really do only take 12-15 times a year, can it cause changes in brain chemistry, etc. that I really should worry about? I would hate to find that upping my serotonin levels mildly on occasion might give me long term mental health issues.
Let us just say it is addictive and prolonged use with lead to dependancy on the form of medication. It may only be a small amount. But once it is in your system for a long period of time you can't just stop it. Fact is, it is addictive. As are all benzos. But the effect they have on people vary from person to person. 12 to 15 times a year means about 1 tablet a month? You must have very mild anxiety. Be interested to hear any reply Ryan might give to this post. Can 1 tablet a month be as bad as 3 tablets a day? As in, you will still need to take them, your body will need them, etc, etc. You have me curious now. Yes it would be in your system. But surely it would pass out of your system by the time you got to take the second tablet a month later. Curious to hear would it still lose its effectiveness if taken the way you described.
I'm curious too. Anyone?
I'm curious too. How did it go?
10356, and remar commented on dominosarah's status
1 hr ago
dominosarah Happy Birthday BigA!! Love... Comment
dominosarah commented on spider6's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms