Aa
A
A
Close
Is there any chance I have rabies or is it just anxiety? Please help
About 9 days ago I was playfully bitten by a stray cat in my neighborhood. I was petting the cat and it got overstimulated (as cats do) and bit me. At first I didn't think the bite broke my skin but after a few days I saw a very small scab. No blood was drawn though. I have seen the cat a few times since then and it seems normal. I also developed a sore throat the day after the bite. Now, I cannot stop thinking that I have rabies. I think i'm having psychosomatic symptoms. Everyone has told me I should not worry but I cannot physically convince myself that I do not have rabies. Its causing me horrific anxiety and I'm not sure what to do. Do you think I have rabies or i'm just having horrible anxiety?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Only your doctor can diagnose if there is a rabies issue and if not he can talk to you to try to help you get over the worry.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Stray cats are not a good idea to have in any neighborhood, so can you call animal services and have it trapped? They can determine if it has rabies, and perhaps find the owner.
Many people feed strays and think they are being kind to animals, but strays kill many birds and make messes, so that is why by-laws are set up to not allow them.
Comment
Cancel
I'm not sure if doctors can diagnose rabies, so take Anxiousnomore's advice and try and find the cat and get it caught so it can be tested for rabies.  I'm not sure if this is still true, but unless something has changed if you can't find the animal that bit you the only solution is to get the rabies treatment, though in your case I'm not sure you're at much risk.  Find the cat and see your doc.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
317787 tn?1473362051
Blank
Dee1956 commented on senseanonymous 's status
2 hrs ago
517872 tn?1506854164
Blank