Anxiety Community
Is this abuse?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Is this abuse?

Hi, i'm new here, and seeking advice. I am a 48 year old male,  i have suffered from panic attacks, and GAD, for at least 25 years, i have taken klonopin for about 17 years,  i took a daily dose, of 0.5 mg daily, certain days i may take 1mg, total, i never used more then that, i didn't use them to get high, now after all these years, my new nurse practitioner decides, i no longer need them, she gave me a script for hydroxyzine,  which made me feel horrible, so 2 days ago i ran out of klonopin, i wont see her till wednesday, i am pretty much breaking down, i cant think straight, im having panic attacks, i went to the store, to shop for clothes, and needed to sit down, i thought i was going to faint, my question is , if this person wants me off the benzos, what am i to do? i have tried pretty much every anti anxiety, depression medicine out there, i truly wonder if a benzo is the only drug to help me? any reply would be very helpful. thank you, god bless.
This is only my opinion because I'm not a Dr but I've been on several benzo's and you do not just stop taking them. They really need to be tapered or you can get sick.
Is there any way you can see the Dr and not the nurse?
I would recommend printing out some info on quitting benzo's cold turkey and take it to the Drs office. I really am shocked she took you off your meds without tapering. Besides, if you were doing well on them why even take you off of them?
Did she give you an explanation as to why the change? It seems highly unusual to change your meds so abruptly and, as remar said, if they were working. Especially with such low doses! I'm sorry for what you are going through...I'm sure it's been hell!
Oh, and it doesn't sound like abuse to me. There is a difference in addiction and physical dependence! You can't take meds that long and not be physically dependent upon them and that is simply part of managing conditions like this & good doctors understands that...but it doesn't mean you're an addict.
I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I absolutely hate to hear these kinds of stories when someone has been on a regimen that works for them for a long period of time, only to have them face a doc/NP/PA who has tunnel vision about a habit forming med, like a benzo.  Did she give you a tapering schedule, or enough meds to taper off?  If not, that's ridiculous, not to mention, dangerous.  Abrupt benzo cessation comes with many risks, including seizures.  She should know that.  Giving you Vistaril in place of Klonopin is a joke, to be honest.  Vistaril is an antihistamine, like Benadryl.  Apples and oranges.

You need to call the office first thing in the morning and ask for an urgent appt.  I too agree with insisting on talking to the doctor.  Be firm but nice, and say you do not agree with her assessment, that you take your script properly, never more than Rx'ed, have not "run out early", coming to the office asking for extra pills, and have been compliant with your appts, not missing any (I'm assuming all of the above is true?  Have you been a model patient?)

Then you need to ask why it is so important for you to come off the Klonopin, when it's working for you, and absolutely address the issue with the doc if she told you to stop taking it abruptly, that you are aware of the dangers, and do not appreciate that.  Tell the doc you're well aware that this med needs tapered.  Go in armed with knowledge.

If you're doing well on the Klonopin and don't want to stop taking it, and the doc won't budge, find yourself a new doc ASAP.  Tell them you're planning to seek a new doc who will continue prescribing the med you have found that works, and you may need them to keep your script current until you can find a new doc.  (They may not agree to the last part sadly...but it's totally a reasonable request).

If you end up needing to find a new doctor, get a copy of your entire medical record.  You will have to request that from the office, and may be charged a fee.  It's your right to have a copy of your record.  

I really hope you can straighten this out with the doc.  Best to you...please update us, okay?  Call the office right away, first thing in the am and explain that you need seen urgently.
Thank you all, well this am I called, and explained what's going on, the contect me to a med line, whic I left a message? They never reurned my call, so I called a crisis line, which i have never done in the past, they put me through to a person, I told them what's going on, I guess she called the np, ans she stated I was weaned off and she stick by her choice to remove the benzo, so I tell the person I would like to file a compalint. So about a hr or so, my np calls, she ask how am I doing, I tell her horrible, and I. Told her she knows nothing about benzos. Well low and behold, she calls in a 7 day script for 0.25 daily, 4 hrs later I get the script, I really didn't want to take it, but can't handle the withdraw, so now I have a few days worth, will I be the same boat in a week? This is a joke. I made an appt, with a real dr, I guess, I will keep you all informed, also the 0.25, helped with in an hr? Go figure.
Good for you hon!!!  That just goes to show you she knows she was wrong (IMO)).  If she had properly tapered you, she would have every right to stand by her decision.  I would still file a complaint if I were you.  Hopefully your new doc will be much better.  

So sorry you're dealing with this.  It's really unfair.
Sheri1969 is ...anxious from a flashb... Comment
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms