Anxiety Community
Is this still anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Is this still anxiety?

Hi! I've had anxiety and depression for several years and had it under control without the use of medicines for the past two. That being said, I have begun to have panic attacks again over the past couple of months. Mostly I convince myself every little pain or issue I experience is cancer... Or a blood clot.. Or a heart issue. 99% of the time I can recognize this and I deal with the inevitable wave of anxiety and panic. Lately though, not so much. As of the last week or two I've been feeling almost dizzy and light headed towards the later part of the day. I'm terribly tired. I stumble over my words and I feel like I can't concentrate on the simplest things. My hands and fingers also feel like they aren't touching things or as if things I touch on a regular basis don't feel the way they should. Sometimes I feel as if my vision is distorted, which makes it difficult to drive at night time due to it making me almost dizzy.
So, my question is, does anyone experience this as well? In the past I was also diagnosed with SVT, and I have dealt with an eating disorder since a young age. I can't seen to figure out at this point if I need to be concerned or if my mind is tricking my body into a panic mode since I've learned to control other symptoms. I've had my doctor do an EKG, which he determined was normal.
Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?
Hi There ! Sounds like you are having panic for sure . The funny thing with panic and anxiety is it can leave for years and all of a sudden one day your walking down the street and Boom ! its back . All the symptoms you describe are classic . It sounds like you are experiencing depersonalization too . I would seek out a good psychologist . Remember the one good thing about panic/anxiety disorder is it is completely treatable .. Good luck , Jimmy
Thank you for your response. It's reassuring to have someone that isn't my doctor (who for some insane reason I can't seem to make myself believe is a competent human being) tell me that it really is just anxiety. After looking into depersonalization, I found it is also a side effect of minocycline, which I am currently on for acne. I will continue to keep these things in mind in hopes of getting myself back into a normal range!
You will . Remember you wont lose your mind it is a brain disorder only ! I have had it and I know it is not fun at all . Does the daylight bother you more then at night ? Light seemed to agitate anxiety for me when I was suffering with it . You will be fine I promise ! Jimmy
Some days it can, usually If I'm waking up late and going outside from a dark room to a very bright light. I'm wondering if it has more to do with transitioning though as opposed to just the brightness. Fluorescent lights DO aggravate anxiety for me... Something I have to learn to deal with as a college student going into education.. I'll forever be stuck with fluorescent! I've also discovered that in general colder weather triggers a lot of my symptoms. I've been a lifeguard in summer for several years and can spend all day everyday in the sun and water. Bad for my skin, I know, but it's where I'm comfortable. Maybe I should move to the Bahamas? Haha. I can pinpoint the majority of my triggers, but it seems as if my symptoms flip flop everytime I have a bout of anxiety. It's strange how the mind can create physical symptoms.
Yes it is isn't it ! For me I am most calm on overcast or cloudy days and the rain is like a God send it makes me so calm . I also hate fluorescent lights . So you see you are not alone .. We all have very similar triggers ! There was a time I absolutely dreaded going out in the sun . I went threw a anxiety program at UCLA and it helped me tremendously .. Jimmy
In what ways did it help you? Coping techniques? I'm having a rough start today... Waking up with pains all over and a headache... Most likely due to bad pillows and mattress but of course it's blood clots to my mind. It would be nice to wake up feeling good again!
Hello and Happy New Year !  I could tell you what worked for me but as I said we are all so different as far as coping ! What they would teach you was to retrain your mind and realize that you are fine and that the world has not changed ( depersonalization ) and to help you face your fears caused by the anxiety disorder . For example instead of pulling the curtains shut to block the sun out I started to open them for 30 minutes then an hour and so on .Breathing techniques that really help . Panic/anxiety only get worse if you don't fight them trust me . But now days I am virtually free of both and you can be too my friend .. Jimmy
Happy new years to you too! Thanks for letting me know what worked for you. I am no stranger to fighting off my anxiety, but I'm rarely consistent in my approaches. I think it will benefit me to become more adamant about the ways in which I approach my anxieties.
Sounds exactly what I experienced for a while. Depersonalization is very scary, but it IS a very classic anxiety symptom like Jimmy1975 says. I too have problems with getting aches and pains and thinking I've got some horrible illness or disease that's going to kill me. It's called health anxiety, or in my case, hypochondria. Irrational fear of being ill or contracting a terrible disease.
A good way I've found to counteract these anxieties is to look at your medical history. Do family members have certain illnesses that you could potentially have? Has anyone died from a certain illness or disease? Does it really make sense for you to have an illness that has no other indication of being present besides you thinking it is?
How old are you? Are you old enough to have all these medical problems yet? Or are you young and otherwise completely healthy other than the anxiety?
Our minds create very real symptoms. If you feel your chest hurt, it's not an illusion of anxiety. It really does hurt, but it's not always from something serious like a heart attack or aneurysm. Those would be unmistakable and you would know whether or not something was seriously wrong. If you feel an ache or pain and you panic, but otherwise nothing else really happens and after a while you calm down and the pain goes away, you can recognize it as anxiety. I spent five years practicing this art in recognizing anxiety from something actually serious. I've thought all sorts of crazy things like brain tumors, cancer, aneurysms in the brain, abdomen and aorta, blood clots, heart attacks and strokes.
But I'm only 20! How could a youngin' like me have all these problems? It's not impossible, but looking at my history and age, I'm pretty clean!
I've spent my entire anxiety experience going to therapists, reading self help books, taking meds, subscribing to websites and all that junk and I can promise you, it will get better. I'm still not 100%, but I'm way better than I used to be.
I just have a few words of advice. Don't fight. Fighting anxiety as opposed to accepting, recognizing and calming anxiety just makes it worse. Anxiety is already a disorder of the fight or flight response, so fighting that response is like a vicious circle that never ends.
sorry for the long response, but sometimes the answers to anxiety can be so simple yet are withheld from us because everyone wants to be paid for their advice.
Don't let your anxiety devour you, especially while you're in college. I didn't know how to deal with it then and my world crashed down around me. When anxiety threatens you with an ache or pain, or a panic attack, just sit back and say "bring it on". Anxiety can't do anything to you unless you let it.
Thanks so much. It really is comforting to know that I'm not absolutely nuts. So many people don't know what it's like to panic for no reason... Or how a neck ache can suddenly become cancer.. A lot of the time my anxieties are about things that I'm concerned can be a health issue for me later on. I've dealt with bouts of eating disorders that terrify me knowing good and well what I'm doing to my body. Honestly, that's where 99% of my anxieties lay... And I definitely need to get it under control. I think I just had an ah-ha moment...
Hi there ! Are you doing any better ? Make sure you get into therapy as that will help tremendously ! By the way have you ever been on an antidepressant ? They helped me tons ! I took Lexapro for about a year then tapered off . Jimmy
I did go the antidepressant route for a while, and my doctor ended up having me on 4 different things at once when I decided that it was just a little out of hand!! At that time, I came off of them with his help, and was relatively stable until the end of this past summer. Recently I tried cymbalta and had an awful reaction which created yet another anxiety.. Now I'm too scared to take medicines for fear of side effects. Today has been a better day and knowing I'm not alone has helped immensely... I've been considering therapy for several months for the eating... But it's scary.. Almost like deciding whether or not to cut ties with a good friend, even though I know reasonably how much I need it and that theres no way I can be a healthy individual by continuing to not deal with the underlying causes for my anxiety and ED. I just can't seem to muster up the courage and put my health and mental well-being before my self destructive habits and seek the help I need. It's difficult knowing logically what I need to do and what steps I'm going to HAVE to take.. But just can't seem to take that step. I can't seem to figure out what's restraining me.. Or what I think it will take to get there.
ashler1977 commented on ashler1977's status
7 mins ago
24 mins ago
ash009 my goal to reduce 5 kgs in ... Comment