Anxiety Community
Is tightness in the throat a symptom of anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

For the past 6 months I have been having a multitude of symptoms.  I have been working with my doctor but so far there has been no diagnosis except GAD (I've had all sort of tests: blood work, EKG, Stress tests, Upper GI, Holter monitor, CAT scan, 2 ER visits).  My question is...can the near constant tightness in my throat be caused by anxiety?  The doctor gave me xanax which I only take on the rare occasions when I feel very stressed out.  The xanax helps calm me and my racing heart but does not take away the feeling in my throat.  I see my primary doctor in May and I am wondering if I should ask to be referred to an ENT or should I just accept that I have GAD.  I don't feel that there is any event in my life at this time that would be causing me anxiety, this happened out of the blue.  What is your opinion?
I think a trip to the ENT would be a good idea, but I had major tightness in the throat with anxiety for about a month once.  Still, it should be checked out to make sure:)  Anyhow, they gave me Zantac and it didn't help.  If you are having a racing heart, etc., then you could have a tight throat from anxiety too.  An ENT can pass a scope through your nose though and check it out - it was not bad at all.  He sprayed numbing down my nose first and I really didn't feel a whole lot.  Quick and painless.  Take care:)
hi there

just interested in whether you still have a tight throat.  i have the same problems as you.  deb
Hi, I have been having tightness in my throat as well. about a month ago i was rushed to the er for a heartrate of 169.  Every since i've been out i've had a tightness in my throat like there is something in it and a heaviness or pressure in my chest, it is kind of hard to describe.  I have been to the doctor and they said it was GAD or stress so i'm on xanax.  My heartrate has been normal but the tightness won't go away and it's so good to see that i'm not crazy and others have experienced it too.  My family acts like i'm a hypochondriac and I know the doctors are sick of me.  They keep telling me i'm too young at 31 for any heart problems.  Should I get an ENT?
i have that kind of feelings too, and i realized when my friend told me she had it, since then i started feeling the thighness in my throat. what a fckng weirdo! so then i came to realized that was anxiety coz when i go out and having fun was completely gone. its in all our brain fellas. so fck that anxiety...that would not ruin me ever! muahhhhhhhh
all u guys have to do is to cheer ur brain up....do something fun, go out and enjoy life. Dn't let negative imagination rule ur brain. step up and stop being emotional. anxiety attack start from worries, stress and negative aura. Work ur brain out....think healthy...don't be so weak. fck that anxiety attack. think positive. u'r not that pussie are u? lol...cheer up! goshhhhhh. what can i say? i have so much love for u guys....so wake up and dnt let ur emotion ruined ur daily lives. I LOVE MY LIFE....I'M NOT RICH BUT I HAVE A RICH BRAIN. LOL....positive thinker ROCKS! XOXO
ok im thirteen years old and three months ago i just woke up with a tight throat! and it hasnt gone away since than! went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with GERD . for which in some reason i didnt believe. they put me on Zantac 150 for the two weeks and said to come back if it didnt help. so now its 2 weeks and im planning to go back. im only thirteen and this never goes away pleaseeee help!:( i dont want to waste money at the doctor. my sister says its anxiety but i dont believe her. my mom and dad think im a hypoconddriacte. advice please?? im so scared that im going to die :"(
Hello I hope you are feeling better. I do not think you are going to die. I think you can visit  ENT (Otolaryngology). to be sure about other disgnosis, otherwise  you can listen your sister and make a litte reseaech about axiety, since it has so mant simptoms that maybe you can identify were you are.
ziptup added the Anxiety/Panic Tracker
16 mins ago
vicki595 commented on Feeling real and tryi...
meegWpaw commented on Feeling real and tryi...