Aa
A
A
Close
Klonopin/Lithium High Cholestrol
Hi, I am currently taking Klonopin 1 mg 2X a day and 900mg Lithium a day.  That is all.  A year and a half ago, my cholesterol was normal-138.  Now, it is 215.  Background-5 years ago while taking the same meds, but a higher dose of Klonopin, my cholesterol was at 283.  I had to go off of them for 2-3 yrs and the cholesterol was normal at 138 during that time.  I don't take any other prescription drugs.  I eat healthy, drink lots of water, no junk food.  I know it is one of these drugs....any info????? Thanks!! Tammy
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I had mine go up, too, though not that much on klonopin and Paxil, but I think it was the Paxil, because it caused me to gain a lot of weight.  These drugs can slow metabolism, which can make digestion slow down.  The important thing to do is to clarify here between good and bad cholesterol, and especially try and get the HDL (good stuff) up.  Other than that, not sure how to counteract it.  The danger of high cholesterol is its oxidation, not its existence, so eating a lot of colored veggies helps, and fish oil and wild cold water fish can help raise the good cholesterol, as can flax oil.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Ok, the metabolism makes sense.  I will have to call and find out the good/bad ratio.  Didn't think about that.  I'm not on an antidepressant, so I know it has to be the Klonopin.  Just worried about it going up more like before.  I have to take some kind of benzo, or I cannot function, leave my house, etc. and I have constant panic attacks.  I am thinking of asking my dr. to put me on something else, maybe xanax, doesn't work quite as well, but will suffice I suppose.  Thank you!!!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
4059843 tn?1465214932
Blank
mishymoshymarcy Find me where the wild thin... Comment
4 hrs ago
Blank
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
6 hrs ago
4059843 tn?1465214932
Blank
Give love
8 hrs ago by mishymoshymarcy
Blank
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms
Start Tracking Now
Top Anxiety Answerers
Blank
Arlington, VA