Anxiety Community
Klonopin as needed

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Klonopin as needed

Hi...I am on lexapro 10mg for anxiety and have been on it for a year and a half and loving it!!  and I've been on klonopin and xanax as needed..for a while....example...I would take .5mg klonopin one day  then skip 2 days then .5mg xanax and skip 2 day then a klonopin .5mg... so over all I am on 3 pills a week...my concerns are dependancy,tolerance and addiction..and withdrawals.....any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you
Micha
If you are only taking the benzos sparingly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.  Klonopin isn't generally as effective when used "as needed".  It is most appropriately taken twice daily so that it can build up in your system to prevent anxiety.  It is long acting, unlike the Xanax, which usually lasts about 4 hrs.

You may want to chat with your doc about how the best way for you to be taking these meds....as honestly...you shouldn't really need both benzos.  If you are only taking them here and there as needed...then the Xanax should be sufficient.

If you are taking them as you described thinking that they are preventing anxiety attacks...then perhaps a daily regimen of Klonopin would be the better choice for you.

But, any which way...if you continue like you have been, I can't see any concern for dependency, tolerance, or withdrawals.

Best of luck!
On the type of dose, as well as dosing schedule you describe in regard to your clonazepam and alprazolam, you're in pretty good shape, in so far as not becoming addicted.  

Glad you're "loving" the beneficial effects from Lexapro.  A person very dear to my heart has been on it for months and it has done nothing to help, but rather has deteriorate the condition.

Thank you for your quick reply!!!  yes,you are right about taking klonopin twice a day..this is what my dr recommended to me...I have been taking this combo for a while,cause lexapro byitself helped my mild depression but did'nt really help much with anxiety..so this is why i added klonopin....and xanax...so maybe xanax is a better choice for me to use as needed.....so using them sparingly would avoid troubles....cause I am terrified of getting myself in trouble with benzo....and how long can I be using them sparingly?
Thanx
Micha
Thank you for your reply....so no need to worry about addiction....that's good....and as far as lexapro it has done wonders for me...really....I guess it depends on the person.....but for me I can say nothing but good stuff about lexapro....
For some reasons I much as I love lexapro which is really helping I found that that the combination with benzo at a low doses help much more than being on only lexapro by itself....it is the long term of benzo that scares me....I am gonna try to never increase the dose....eventho sometimes I feel for an extra one but I limit myself with 3 a week....anyone else is on lexapro and benzo?and how much are you on?
stapley added the Asthma Tracker
1 hr ago
Individuals with social phobia have...
2 hrs ago by gymdandee
mary_91 commented on A very inspiring colu...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms