Anxiety Community
Klonopin dosage-anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Klonopin dosage-anxiety

Hi Doctor,

My doctor gave me .5 mg of klonopin to be taken twice daily as needed (so 1mg a day total).  I have been doing this for about a year trying to take only the half so I can use more if a stressful situation comes up.  When he said take it daily I asked him if I am better off taking PRN so I can really feel a sedating effect when needed, during weddings, family functions, funerals, etc etc etc.  His claim is that klonopin is more therapeutic when it's constantly in blood stream.

Do you think PRN is a better way of using klonopin or can it be more helpful daily?  

I personally think 1 mg for me is a small dose but my doctor doesn't like going over 1 mg because he states this is an easy dose to come off of.  Would you personally say that 1 mg of klonopin per day is usually the ideal dose you would want to give someone with anxiety issues?  The dose does help my anxiety, it doesn't totally relieve my anxiety which I am well aware it can't do.

How long is klonopin supposed to last....... I have found for me it only lasts maybe 5 hours, my doctor claims it should last like 12 plus hours.  Do you have any insight on average time of effectiveness?

Thanks for your help!
First of all, if there's a doctor here, he/she would be running in stealth mode just to see what the folks on 5th floor are up to these days. This is where the patients hang out. That said, I'm a bit nervous (go figure) about taking a poll here on your doctor's advice. So mI -and all responsible members of this forum -while we may report personal experience- will tell you to listen to the doc unless you have some spoecial reason to doubt.

I can tell you this: the act of asking for non-experts to validate or challenge the expert may suggest something about why you're taking something in the first place. No insult intended, I promise- but think about that. My first take is that you wish you didn't have to take anything at all.

Welcome to the club!

Welcome to the club!

I take Klonopin and find that it only works for about 5 hours as well.  Just thought I'd let u know.  
Shame on me! I forgot to ask you to join the forum. Your experience with Klonopin and anxiety are important for others to hear about and you can probably offer a few pearsl of wisom of your own. Please click to join us!
HI, I am new here, but a long time GAD person.  I also have graves disease ( high thyroid, which also makes you nervous and jumpy among other fun things.)
Started with Panic in  my 20's, I am now in 50's.  SSRI's did nothing, thyroid correction did nothing for the panic either.
I was on Ativan ( in the pre Klonopin age).  It was awful as I was burning it up in about 2-3 hours, then would sit and wait to take my next dose. I never took extra medication.
My doctor switched me to Klonopin in the late 80's.  I have been on the same dose since 1990.  I take .5mg when I wake up and at supper time. I take .25mg at noon and bedtime.
I found I would have more anxiety at around 6pm, so to avoid this "breakthrough" time, I decided with my doctor to take it this way.  It works for me. I have never felt the need or want to take more, I feel wonderful, and frankly I was a real mess , hospitalized for 5 weeks for major depression related to unrelently panic disorder.
My daughter suffers from the same disorder also, beginning in 20's.
When she was first put on Klonopin, she called me ( I was at school) and said, " I'm afraid to take the pill, I'll freak out".  I remember this fear. I told her, I am here for you , swallow the pill  now, and make yourself a cup of decaf tea .  IF you feel weird call me on my cell phone.  I got home and called her and she said " I feel so much better!"

I am so tired of some doctors and lay people who beat the drum that we are junkies on klonopin.  
Think of it this way, do we call diabetics addicts for taking insulin every day? NO!
I am still on klonopin, I am functioning, feel great, travel alone, and once couldn't leave my house.
I have regular check ups.  Klonopin is addictive for those who use it to get high.  They will need more to get that high feeling.  People with GAD are not looking for a "high".  
Like most meds, you can't stop it cold turkey.
Hope this helps someone.
hi, thanks for a great post, i was just wondering how you managed to find a doctor who will keep prescribing it for you!  hopefullly i will find one too
Hi, I am new to this forum.  Is there a doctor who overseers these questions?  

Living with anxiety is very difficult.  I am wondering if anyone takes a higher dosage of Clonazepam (Klonopin) than the average 1.5 daily?  Is there a diference between Clonazepam & Klonopin?

Thanks, Carrie

i'm new here also, but i take 2/2mg of clonazepam at bedtime with seroquel and 2/2mg of clonazepam in the morning i haven't been diagnosis officially yet, but i do have problem with anxiety,racing thoughts, panic attack w/o agrophobia,  really bad agitation, and severe insomnia. i've been on clonazepam for about 2 1/2 month months now and the only difference noted is my agitation and racing thoughts not much help with anxiety. the seroquel helps with my insomnia i just started that about 2 weeks ago right now i'm in the process of changing psych because i can't deal with the panic attacks anymore and i'm planning on or should i say have already slowed downed my clonazepam. anyone have any insight on what help with panic attack. btw theres no difference between Clonazepam (Klonopin).
Yes I have been taking different meds for anxiety for about ten years now. Klonopin helps with the daily long term affects of anxiety if you have mild panic attacks...but if you have severe panic attacks maybe xanax 3 times a day would be better for you. My doctor started me out on .5 mg 3 times a day then increased to 1 mg 3 times a day.
Thanksgiving day panic
2 hrs ago by JamesC186282
meuhmy added the Weight Tracker
djpepper joined this community
Welcome them!