Anxiety Community
Klonopin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Klonopin

I had anxiety for a number of years and at first was getting by with taking an occasional Xanax. For a number of years I was not taking anything at all. Roughly a year ago I was dealing with a number of issues which sparked severe anxiety and other health problems. I went back to the doc as my Xanax prescriptions have long been gone and asked for something to get through. I was given the "new and much more mellow" klonopin and told to take it twice a day and no more than 3 times. Each doze was .5mg which as I see from reading the boards is pretty small. Luckily I could not take more than a single dose. Taking it twice a day made me depressed which I know is completely abnormal for me. So I ended up taking a pill every morning to maintain calm state while at work.
Long story short after a while I realized that I cannot stop taking it. At all. If after taking Xanax for a few days or a week the "withdrawal" was slightly increased anxiety for a few days the Klonopin withdrawal actually caused significant muscle pain, panic attacks and basically inability to normally function. I am at a loss. I do not want to continue taking something THAT addictive. My next step is to ask for a lower dosage and gradually ween myself off. But I am also concerned that I will no longer be able to take ANY benzo's whatsover and these pills are the only medications that help my anxiety. I have tried celexa's, paxil and other "long term" deals in the past and they only caused side effects.
Anyhow the question -if anyone was actually able to get off Klonopin - how did you continue to medicate occasional anxiety?
Thank you for your response. Do you think it would be possible for me to obtain those .25 wafers from the doctor? Or am I stuck breaking pills in half? I am also concerned about two more things:

1. taking Klonopin twice a day (.50mg pills) made me depressed - which is completely abnormal for me. Will taking .25 twice a day cause the same side effect?
2. Once off Klonopin will I be able to switch to some kind of "as-needed" med like Xanax for occasional anxiety? Or will I be permanently "addicted" to benzos?

sorry for all the ridiculous questions, but this is a major health concern for me.
gyspy09 commented on gyspy09's status
16 mins ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
30 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status