Anxiety Community
L tyrosine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

L tyrosine

Has anyone ever tried L tyrosine for anxiety and if so does it help??Thanks
Tyrosine is more for depression.  Taurine would be the amino acid for anxiety, as it is the precursor to producing GABA in the body.  On the other hand, if you also suffer from depression, then a combination of the two might help.  Glycine might also be helpful, as it metabolizes glutamate, the newest avenue of research for depression medication.  5htp, another amino acid, a metabolite of tryptophan, makes serotonin in the system, and can be helpful for both depression and anxiety as a result.  There are also, of course, herbs, other nutrients (particularly B vitamins and magnesium), dietary considerations, exercise, and the whole panoply of holistic medicine to consider.  A good book is Natural Highs by Hyla Cass, a psychiatrist at UCLA, for the mes; for the rest, well, read just about any book on holistic diet and such.

As for me, when I got around to trying these, I had just stopped Paxil, and the resulting withdrawal was so severe it never ended and I got paradoxical reactions to everything, so I was never able to do the program myself.  I have had some help from taurine and holy basil; the latter helps control cortisol levels.  And remember, if you're taking medication, you have to be careful supplementing with natural remedies -- if, for example, you were on benzos, you would have to be careful supplementing with taurine or relaxant herbs because they all work on GABA, and if you were on an antidepressant working on norepinephrine you would have to be careful with tyrosine, and if you were on an antidepressant/anti-anxiety med dealing with serotonin, you would have to be careful with 5htp.  You don't want to overdo it.
I am currently taking xanax but worried about getting addicted to it. I thought about trying something more natural. This anxiety is awful. Alot of mine is coming from stopping pain meds after kidney stones for 4 months so I am hoping that it ends on its soon.

Sorry to hear about your withdrawl (withdrawal) from paxil. Are you still on it. They have tried 4 antidepressants with me and all have made my anxiety worse. Thanks for the info though
Hi ya....

Have tried all natural meds for anxiety, 5-htp for two months, i did notice a slight difference in mood... maybe a longer spell will have a greater improvement. Its had to know what your body needs.... make sure you dont over do it aswell its all about getting the BALANCE.

I have found that a good high value B-Vitamin complex and a good Multivitamin along with a 1-2 grams of dha epa fish oils (which is about 12 fish tabs per day) works wonders.

Eating healthy, exercise, yoga, meditation, talking, has helped me with my ANXIETY  
Thanks. I am doing a mulit vitamin and drinking ensure and vitamin water. Just not sure that it's helping.
Don't use ensure.  Not good for you.  If you're taking a multivitamin, probably don't need vitamin water, either, just a gimmick.  Try to eat your nutrients, and supplement for what specifically ails you.  Chazzman gave some good ideas, and please, read that book I recommended.  This will take work, not advertising.

No, I got my problems when I quit Paxil.  Am on Lexapro, but weaning down, with difficulty, because it didn't solve whatever quitting Paxil did.  Nobody knows how to treat that, since my reaction is much more severe than most get.  I'm lucky, I'm an anomaly.
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
Dalubaba commented on photo