Anxiety Community
Learning how to deal with Anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Learning how to deal with Anxiety

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I had a Panic Attack earlier last month, and was feeling anxiety after that. I was on anti-depressants for a year prior and weanned off meds last October. Now, I'm back on the same medication which is Lexapro, now taking 10 Mlg, when before I was on 5 mlg. I think I'm worse now, and am feeling like is this ever going to go away. I hate the thought of being on meds everyday and for years, but I am feeling a little better now that I'm on again. This time that I started again, it's been different. I can't sleep, I've had more side affects than I did the first time I was on Lexapro. I am just wondering if I would ever go back to feeling my self again. Everyday I feel like I have to set myself a goal to get through the day feeling okay. I feel the pins and needle feelings come on slightly and then they go away. I just feel so out of my normal self now, and I feel sad. I have two daughtes and I feel like I have to be there mentally and physically for them. I hope this shall pass, like everyone is telling me. I appreciate any advice out there for me.
wow i carn't believe somebody is going through the same as me. I started on 75mg of effexor xr bk in 2008 and was on it for a good 4months the had to go down to 37.5mg as i fell pregnant with my 3rd baby. then at about 7months pregnant i totally came off it and felt fine but as soon as i had baby i went bk on 75mg just to be on the safe side of any anxiety coming bk and was good again for 4months and then slowly weaned off them after feeling the need i didn't need to be on them. But now at the end of march this year i went downhill and felt terrible not sleeping getting mad at the smallest thing not eating and drinking very little and didn't want to do anything execept laze about the house. after about 4 weeks i felt fine on 75mg and thought i was gettting bk to my normal self but bang oit of nowhere these last couple of days i felt crap and went to my docs today and shes upped my dose to 150mg. so fingers crossed it kicks in soon and i'll feel somewhat my old self again and getting the sleep i need.
Are you in therapy or is it a family practice doctor prescribing your meds? You may want to consider counseling to help cure and treat the depression and anxiety. Meds only work for as long as you take them, and even then they often only help take the edge off.
Yes! It can and does pass,depression 99% of the time passes and passes sooner with meds.Ive been there myself and I know its hard to believe that it will pass when you feel so bad but trust me it will.Lily
mine is a family practice doctor prescribing my meds. how do i get into counseling?? my doctor hasn't mentioned this.
I'm not sure how your health care system works or what your insurance covers. Here in the states you typically get a referral from your family practice doctor so long as it's covered by your insurance. Otherewise, you can probaby seek one out and see if they are accepting any new clients, but paying out of pocket can be expensive.

Ask your family doctor for a referral (if your health insurance covers psycho-therapy) and set up an initial appointment. It couldn't hurt, and a clinical pyschologist is more qualified to treat your anxiety and gauge whether or not the meds are effective.
thanks i will do that i will get it on nhs as i don't pay for my meds now. we don't have insurance like you have to over there.
Wow, thanks for sharing your background too. I'm sorry that you too had to deal w/this and while pregnant. That's so bad. I hope you feel better soon, especially since they increased you to 150. I'm trying to do everything that I can to feel better and cure myself such as, exercise, I'm trying to sleep, but I have trouble sleeping, I'm talking to a therapyst, and taking the meds. I just wished I knew what was causing me to get this way. My therapyst is telling me that I have PTSS, and my doctor sais it's depression. So, I guess it's a combination of both. I've had a rough past, and in the past 5 years, I've had some major traumatic events in my life. I'm sure it could be both. I just hope that Lily is right and that this will pass and that I will get better. I want to be able to live a long healthy life and be aware of my life and be in control at all times and not let this thing control me like it was trying to. I was having like 5-6 anxiety attacks in a day for anything and it was starting to affect me at work. The last thing I want it to do is affect my work. My family health plan depends on me, and that worries me lots. Thanks rls27 also, all your advice really helps. I don't feel so alone now. :)
You don't know how great that makes me feel. Makes me feel hopeful and that this will pass. I just would hate to think that I'll be feeling like this for the rest of my life. I'm only 38 years old and I hope to live many healthy pieceful years ahead. Thanks for your great advice and support. I feel very relieved to know that it's not a lifetime illness. :)
Opps.. You don't know how great that makes me feel. Makes me feel hopeful and that this will pass. I just would hate to think that I'll be feeling like this for the rest of my life. I'm only 38 years old and I hope to live many healthy pieceful years ahead. Thanks for your great advice and support. I feel very relieved to know that it's not a lifetime illness. :)
TinaR10 commented on renae176's status
TinaR10 commented on photo
LovemyKids86 My grandpa passed away this... Comment