Anxiety Community
Lexapro - weight gain???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Lexapro - weight gain???

All that I'm reading about lexapro is the side effect of weight gain! Are there any people who have not experienced weight gain? My doctor just put me on 10mg of Lexapro a day for anxiety. I've worked hard to get into the shape I'm currently in (lost 30lbs last year). I workout regularly, exercise, and eat healthy...but I'm really concerned about gaining weight. If you've been taking this drug and haven't experienced any weight gain...I want to hear from you!
I took Lexapro and gained a small bit of weight BUT I was scared to return to my normal work out routine because I thought (still do) that something was wrong with my heart.  That is why it was prescribed, because my tests were normal so they told me anxiety was the cause of my chest discomfort.  I don't think I would have gained weight if I would have continued to work out regularly like I had before.  Also, I have a friend who was on 40mg (YES 40mg!!!) and never gained an ounce.  Not one.

I read alot about Lexapro and weight gain before I started it too.  I have said before that I think you'll read more negative than positive about drugs like these because the people who don't gain weight and are doing well on it, don't come online to talk about it.  It is hard to find positive things about a number of drugs for that reason.  In my opinion only!!

If you take it and notice that you're gaining weight, exercise more or talk with your doctor.  My friend that was on 40mg (she's a nurse) had seen quite of number of patients who had NOT gained weight.  She did hear that alot of people experienced an increase in appetite on the Lexapro--doesn't always have to equal weight gain.  Make the foods count.  

Good luck.  
Thanks for you comment, it's nice to hear something positive on the subject.
This is to comment on your comment on the lexapro withdrawl (withdrawal) post.  I started taking Lexapro at 10mg and immediately went to 5 because the symptoms were so horrible.  I was told by my pharmacist that it can take up to 14 days to get rid of the initial symptoms.  My first 8 days were awful and I cried a lot-I felt worse than before I started it.  But it slowly got better and I felt basically no problems the nine months I was on it.  I tapered off in about 6 weeks and I would do it slower next time but it wasn't too bad either.

I have been taking Lexapro for about 8 months and there has been no change in my weight whatsoever. I had a good diet and exercise regimen before I started and I never changed it, it even improved because of being happier, and wanting to spend more time on my feet. Unfortunately antidepressants caused a pretty ugly mixed state of Bipolar Depression, which I didn't realize I had, I always thought that  the good moods were a remission, so I am tapering off Lexapro and will look into mood stabilizer options.
My suggestion is, stay on your feet, wear comfortable shoes, so that you can walk places and treat yourself with eating well - lots of veggies, fruit, whole grains, fish and lean meats and you should be fine!
nursegirl6572 commented on yor stuck with me
37 mins ago
joe6491 joined this community
Welcome them!
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status