Anxiety Community
Lexapro Withdrawal -Uncontrollable Crying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I was on 20mg of Lexapro for 10 years.  I weaned from 20mg, to 10mg to 5mg to zero over a period of 2 months back in late September through mid November.  My last 5mg dose was on 11/17/12.  Overall I am starting to feel better everyday, but when I get stressed have been getting some heart palpitations.  I was checked out and heart is fine.  The other, nearly unmanagable issue is uncontrollable bouts of crying.  I cry for every little thing.  I broke down in front of my boss today!  Not crying from any one specific emotion-could be happy, sad, stressed, frustrated...any emotion will trigger it and once it does the tears just flow.  I cannot hold them back and once they start cannot readily stop them.  Has anyone else experienced this and if so how long did it last?  I have come so far and I hate to go back on Lexapro if I know this is temporary.  My fear is that being on such a high dose for such a long time, that my brain can no longer function without it.  How do I know if this is withdrawal or if my brain chemistry has been permanently altered from this drug?  Thank you!
you may have depression
Hi there.....

I don't know why you were prescribed Lexapro in the first place but my dctor prescribed them to me because I'm always dizzy and lightheaded . I don't know why he prescribed them and I reuse to take them.

10 years is also a long time to come off a medication so it may just be a side effect that you should speak to your doctor about it. I know I ended up in Emergency with dizziness and when I told him my GP had prescribed Lexapro he went on about all the side effects and also suggested I don't take them.

Knowing your off the drug may stress you out aswell so that doesn't help.. Always try breathe when you feel your getting anxious and even meditation helps a lot of people.... ???
Nighthawk61 commented on That beautiful illusi...
36 mins ago
Nighthawk61 commented on A bad habit is a bad ...
1 hr ago
refills Recovery is a Process. It T... Comment