Anxiety Community
Librium vs. Xanax for sleep?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Librium vs. Xanax for sleep?

4467879?1242456912
Hi Everyone!

I am new here and I just have a quick question.  I am Bi-Polar and I have a lot of sleeping issues, as well.  I've been throught the gammit of meds.  I currently take Depakote for my moods and I was on Seroquel for sleep, but I can't stand the weight gain and sluggishness anymore.  Soooo, I saw a sleep doc and he has me on a combo of Ambien and Librium (I asked for Librium because I used to have an issue with Xanax and I heard Librium is the safest benzo), but I gotta tell ya, this stuff does nothing for me.  I am on 10 mgs of it at night, along with 10 mgs of Ambien and the Ambien works a little, but the Librium I don't think does anything for me.  I was wondering if anyone has tried the Ambien/Xanax combo at night for sleep because that was offered to me.  Do you find that Xanax is stronger than Librium?  Does anyone think I should try the two together?  The only problem is I would problem need like 2 mgs of the Xanax because of my bodies' tolerance to this stuff.  Looooong history.
My own opinion, and it's only an opinion, that none of these drugs was intended to treat sleep problems.  They're way too strong for that.  (Well, Ambien was created for sleep, my bad).  You've been treated with antipsychotics, and yes, they are sedating, but sedation isn't sleep, it isn't a natural sleep cycle.  So while they do treat your bi-polar, for sleep I'd try something for sleep, like melatonin or natural remedies that don't interfere with your medications (you'll need help here from a professional) or hypnosis or biofeedback or breathing exercises, anything before you turn to potent drugs that will eventually become tolerated for sleep (but not necessarily for their intended purpose).
To anyone who has had chronic anxiety and sleep problems it is a joke when someone tells you all you need is a few herbs or some bio-feedback...if you never been there don't be giving advice like you have. If you've had panic attacks nightly or gone days without sleep you will be like Micheal Jackson and do almost anything to get one nights sleep....That is why you need good advice and someone who understands this before you get to the place where you become desperate....37 years of GAD, cycling panic attacks and sleep problems talking...
I have tried every drug on the market at one time or other...on and off label....only a few have worked without terrible side effects...Klonopin and Librium. I was on Klonopin .5m 2-3 times a day for 10 years. Recently switched to Librium 10mg 2-4 time a day with no problem....These drugs saved my life...people take blood pressure, statins,  or diabetic meds and others for 20-40 yrs don't they...whats the difference?
Dreamyone commented on A very inspiring colu...
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
TinaR10 commented on OctoberMommy2014's status