Anxiety Community
Long Term Lexapro Use
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Long Term Lexapro Use

Dear whoever may know,

I was diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorder 2 1/2 years ago, and I have been taking Lexapro at 10 mg per day ever since. The medicine has really seemed to have helped my life in all aspects. Whether it has really helped or if this is some kind of placebo effect, I am unsure. I still have moments of reasonable stress at work, but who doesn't...most importantly, I don't have panic attacks anymore. I have had no bad side effects to speak of, and I have only undergone positive changes with this medicine. The thing is, I ask myself why change a good thing?? Why can't I just stay on this stuff for the rest of my life??? But I don't want to wake up 15 years down the road with cancer or Parkinson's Disease or worse just because I stayed on the med for too long. Do any of you have any suggestions or know of any people's experiences with long term effects of ssri use?? What about studies you have heard of??? I know these drugs have not been around forever but still.....I have alot of life ahead of me (hopefully).... I am only 24 years old. Do you think I should try to wean myself off soon??? Also I don't want to go back to the way I was before. Please help!!
Tags: help
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Lexapro has been around for a long while. It is time tested safe.
People have been taking various SSRI meds for 25 years now and still there is not track and trend pointing to adverse health risks.

I have been taking antidepressants for almost 20 years now and I'm still alive and kicking.
My last check up shows no negitive health issues from my SSRI usage.
Blank
There's no evidence of long-term damage from their use, but no good studies, either.  Theoretically, they can affect the liver, but I assume you're getting regular physicals to check that.  On the other hand, you know what anxiety attacks do to your life, so stay on the Lexapro.  
Blank
Sorry, meant to add, stay on the Lexapro until you solve your underlying problem in therapy.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
10544388_tn?1411072063
Blank
Thin4Freedom added the Menstrual Cycle Tracker
21 mins ago
10544388_tn?1411072063
Blank
Thin4Freedom added the Gastro Tracker
24 mins ago