Long term xanax use and permanent bladder issues
I have been taking xanax for over twenty years.  My doses varied from .25 a day up to 3.50 a day.  The only time I didn't take it was when I was pregnant.  I was prescribed it for panic attacks, but I use it for sleep and panic attacks now.   I've had frequent urination annoyances since before I started taking xanax.  Now, I'm at the point where I'm always in the bathroom trying to void my bladder.  I've had every test necessary and nothing prescribed has helped.  My bladder has not "dropped" and there is no obvious reason for this this problem.  One urologist suggested inserting attaching a device to my bladder permanently that would help regulate it.  This is not a guaranteed fix, however.   I currently can go to the bathroom, urinate and then stand up, possibly lose some urine and have an urge about thirty seconds later.  I never feel comfortable because its hard to relax when you always feel like you have to go.  At neurologist said it could possibly be the xanas causing the problem.   I am currently taking .50 mg 4 times a day; at night I usually take 1.50 to sleep (I've tried other sleep meds, both natural and prescribed to no avail) and then use the other .50 during the day when feeling shaky.

Has anyone had this happen after using Xanax and does anyone know if this is permanent?   I want to try to cut down but as you know its very difficult.  But, if stopping xanax would help my bladder problem, it is worth whatever else I'd go through.  My life is more affected by my constant urge to void my bladder than it ever was with my anxiety symptoms and issues.    Please let me know if you have any information for me.           Thanks so much.   Diane
Hi diane,
I cannot tell you that i have experienced this as i have never taken this medicine.
In researching i did find for you this....

Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

* restlessness or excitement
    * constipation
    * difficulty urinating
    * frequent urination
    * blurred vision
    * changes in sex drive or ability

You should talk with your doctor and be persistant, as this may be the outcome of taking xanax for as long as you have.
Do  wait for other posts in the forum as well.

Good luck,
Snooze
Diane, Xanax has been the only thing to give me relief from frequent urination.

George1A