Anxiety Community
Looking for help!

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Looking for help!

Does anyone use anything natural for anxiety? I have a strong faith and most times I can talk myself down but the impending doom is getting worse.... I tried all the ssri's and they made my anxiety worse and now I'm scared to death to try any meds.... please if any of you have had success with anything natural please let me know!!
Hey, did you give the meds long enough to kick in?? At first Ssri's cause more anxiety and panic. That could take up to 8 weeks to go away.
Anyways, I have seen a lot of things about natural products and how they are helping ppl!! I thin it's kind of like taking an ssri... you just got to try different ones until you find the right one!!
Hey, I am taking St Johns Wort for depression and anxiety its cheap and it seems to work for me. It does not seem to be any side effects. Please look it up and see what you think.
St. John's Wort isn't an anti-anxiety plant, it's an anti-depressant.  It might work if depression is the main problem, but if anxiety is the main problem not caused by depression this isn't the right plant.  The problem with your question is, there are so many natural remedies available that might work, and natural medicine is generally used in combination, not singly.  For example, for anxiety, you would want to work on your adrenals (for example, holy basil and ashwagandha) and on GABA (for example, passionflower and kava and valerian etc.) and you might want to work on serotonin (for example, B6 and 5-HTP).  I recommend a book called Natural Highs by Hyla Cass, a psychiatrist at UCLA to get you started, and you might want to consult a naturopath or practitioner of integrated medicine since there are so many options in amino acids, herbs, homeopathy, etc.
Working out. Think about it, you have all of that energy built up inside of you, working out will use up all that extra energy getting it out of your system. I prefer yoga. A lot of anxiety (from my own experiences and opinion) comes from inner conflicts with yourself. Yoga teaches you mind body and soul balance. It teaches you to love yourself be relaxed. Physically it will give you confidence and learn breathing techniques to slow the body. I have found these things really work for me.
I don't know if you consider this a drug but weed helps some people. A little weed always helps me. Not too much though or it will end up making me more nervous than I was before.
Also too, I don't know how into your inner self you are but some people say tripping on cactus or mushrooms like in the old days will help you meet and overcome your inner demons. I have actually heard of a lot people reporting never having any problems with anxiety or depression ever again. They are so in with themselves they are confident with everything and in peace with their lives.
I hope this helps!
Just to clarify the STJohns wort suggestion it is my understanding the most anxiety stems from depression so for me it seems to work for both. Now its not going to work like ativan or any other benzo but it still it may work for some. So just keep an open mind. I was only trying to help. Thanks
jcwestfall commented on MedHelp's new iP...
58 mins ago
mishymoshymarcy Just be happy with how far ... Comment
10356 commented on opus88's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms