Anxiety Community
Lump In throat Feeling

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Lump In throat Feeling

Off and on for the past year or so I have been having this sensation of a lump in my throat.  I went to see an ENT and he did a scope (went in through the nose and looked down at the throat), I had a CT of the throat, and an Ultrasound of my thryroid and a Upper GI Series (Barium Swallow).  There was nothing he could see from the scoping, the CT came back negative, the Barium swallow showed mild to moderate acid reflux, and the ultrasound showed nodules (which the doc said was nothing to worry about).  All in all everything that was done did not show any type of mass or obstruction. Even with all these tests done, I still seem to have this lump in my throat feeling.  It is not in the middle of my throat but more lower and on the left side above my collar bone area.  With this the docs decided to put me on Nexium which helped in the beginning but then the feeling came back, now I am on Ranitidine twice a day with taking Mylanta (for gas).
I am worried and have been called a hypochondriac.  I have had anxiety attacks for the past 10 years.  It just started all of a sudden and over the years have progressed to hypochondria which brings on the anxiety.  Could what I am going through be part of anxiety?
Without a doubt, what you are going through is anxiety related. They did every test they could, short of an autopsy, to find this "lump" and they came up empty handed. A "lump in the throat feeling" is very common in anxiety and as someone who also suffers with reflux, I can reassure you that I often get that feeling when MY GERD is acting up. Perhaps the Nexium is just not adequate and I'd speak with my doctor or gastroenterologist about trying something else. You have gotten a clean bill of health from all the tests, so I'd look to trying something besides Nexium and some therapy for your health anxiety. I used to be a hypochondriac, and it really is a lousy way to live. Therapy got that out of my head. Think about it.
Peace
Greenlydia  
I just started effexor for panic and social anxiety disorder/major depression and a week after it I also got that lump in my throat feeling. Lots of burping too. It's weird. Its week three now, and I have to admit my down days aren't as bad as they used to be.  Well, this lump and burping, it starts in the morning. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it lasts all day. I was thinking maybe it's flem (phlegm) or something. I don't know. I've never had this before. Going to my doctor in a couple weeks. Whatever, with my luck it fried my thyroid.
specialmom School is out for summer i... Comment
9 mins ago
mood disorder, shmood disorder
7 hrs ago by Take_my_hand
Mediterranean diets
7 hrs ago by gymdandee
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms