Anxiety Community
Marijuana just Brought Anxiety and Depression?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hey guys i am 20 ,and to tell you the truth i have been using pot for the past two years.It has really been cool though until this year when i smoked a few, okay like i had been doing an average of 2 blunts a day or for parties i would even do 5 blunts.But then i had these racing thoughts that gave me a panic attack.It really scared the **** out of me and i thought i was going to die.
Heart palpitations and even hot flashes and a foggy mind.
Then i had to stop for like a month, ohhh but it has been hell for me, migraines all the time, anxiety thinking that am sick or something very serious is wrong with me.
I even have somatic symptoms disorder.Please help i think that anxiety has taken over my life that really makes em depressed.
Tags: Love & Laughterong
kevwaw,

Sorry to hear about the panic attacks and anxiety.  I was a heavy cannabis user for over 10 years until around the age of 27.  I can attest it worsened my anxiety issues.  I've had bad moments where I felt like I was going to pass out when I just wasn't in the right state of smoking it.  Those were rare occasions.  I noticed when I stopped smoking it for the first time, I started back and immediately experienced over-sensitive feelings.  I was extremely anxious and had a lot of paranoid energy.  Wouldn't say I was paranoid, I was just really wound up suddenly.  Those were occasional troubles.  In the long run, cannabis did make me quite paranoid, even for months after discontinuing its usage.  They say anxiety is fear about something that is not yet known.  Paranoia is pretty much the next step after anxiety.  I felt there was something I should be extremely concerned about, but wasn't sure which route of anxiety to follow.  So, I just followed most of them.  I had suspicions I was going to be murdered or attacked in just normal places, standing in line at the gas station, walking out of my school, etc.  I can tell you, it does change your brain's patterns.  I am not someone who draws the line and stands on the other side of it.  There is no "killing brain cells" or I believe super-permanent damage that cannabis does.  Pathways of your cerebral cortex will change and cause the feelings that occur when you go without.  Those can and will change back to normal after discontinuing its usage for a while.  So, I think cannabis does indeed have medicinal value, as do the strong medications I take for my bipolar disorder.  Both do wonders for the people who need it.  People can do better than cannabis for many problems.  The issue with the popularization of medicinal cannabis in the U.S. is that it's labeled as being great for almost everything.  Cannabis caused me serious insomnia problems and escalated my bipolar disorder to extreme levels.  It contributed to my suicidal depression.  I see it labeled as good for anxiety, insomnia, and depression, even bipolar depression.  Learning about my illness and how my brain reacts to substances, both legal and illicit, I've come to conclude that our deepest suspicions are probably true.  Anecdotal evidence from friends that this was a 'great way to relax' shouldn't have been my first source.  Most of those people have much less stable lives than I have now been blessed to have.  Only certain strains (higher in cbd and lower in thc) and consumption methods (like eating instead of smoking) could possibly work for SOME people for those issues.  When people have liver functioning problems or a plethora of adverse reactions to other medications, cannabis might be the best for them.  Different strains do different things for people.  I, for one, would get wound up by almost any type of cannabis.  It caused me to have horrid mood swings and not want to talk until I smoked it.  I was always edgy and became a bit of an arsehole about it.  It's akin to eating donuts.  Starts with one, then you need a dozen every other day.  I don't believe in chemical 'hooks'.  I believe in conditioning.  We are training our brain when we use things in particular circumstances.  Read up on EBT or CBT, I recommend "Three Minute Therapy" by Michael Edelsein.  The website below posts part of it, which was actually done by the authors.  Because the book is on Amazon, amazon.com requested the authors not make it completely free.  It's worth the $10 to me.  http://www.threeminutetherapy.com/

Emotive Behavior Therapy basically says that our beliefs about certain circumstances are the driving factor of our associated emotions.  Believe me, my world is run by natural and unnatural chemicals in my body (even being completely sober over 2 years now).  If this helps me to work through them, it might help you.

Best of luck and feel free to message me.
- Brett
Many people have their first anxiety attacks while stoned.  Marijuana brings things that are inside of us to the fore -- that's what makes it good when it's good, it allows us to focus on just one thing at a time and put all our attention to it.  But if that things turns out to be sadness or grief or fear, that's a bad place to focus on.  So I'd say this is no longer the drug for you -- time to stop.  Actually, for you, it was probably time to stop anyway -- any drug you feel you need every day in order to enjoy yourself when you're not taking it for any illness has already gone too far, particularly given that pot has been hybridized so much over the last few years that it's not really a natural product anymore, it has been engineered to be way more powerful than what people used throughout history until the 1970's and 80's when some yuppies ruined the mild high I enjoyed when I was young.  It's just too strong now.  But when you graduated from just smoking it to have fun to smoking every day, again, you had already gone to where you needed it too much for it to be of much use for you.  So, now you have to work on not turning this bad experience into a chronic thing, and the above recommendation about therapy is the place to start.  Good luck.
gymdandee commented on Make A Shake That Wil...
38 mins ago
otakugenx commented on Sep 6th->Dr. Swift...
dayna852 commented on Make A Shake That Wil...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms