Anxiety Community
Medication Help

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Medication Help

Anyone out there know an alternative to anti-depressants that really works? I just found out I have no coverage for a psychiatrist and my OB won't prescribe me anything. Thanks!!
What country do you live in?  Because if you're in the US, I believe the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and other statutes require mental illness to be covered the same as any other illness.  That makes it hard to believe you wouldn't be covered for psychiatric care.  Even when psychologists weren't covered by insurance (and really, very few do take insurance), psychiatrists were usually covered.  If you're currently on antidepressants, you don't want to quit them abruptly, and anything your insurance company does that makes that likely is committing malpractice.  I think you need to contact your insurance company and if your belief is true they've stopped this coverage, you need to contact someone who knows the law to tell you if this is legal.  As to alternatives, yes, there are many other ways to get treatment, but when you say really works, well, often antidepressants don't really work, so this is an individual thing -- no modality of treatment has guaranteed results in this area.  There is natural medicine and there is therapy, for two other modalities.  
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your comment. I did contact the insurance, they said its not covered until I reach my deductible of $3,000, so basically I have to pay out of pocket til then. I'm not taking anything right now, but I need to do something. :/ I don't fall under the Obama care plan because I do have insurance through my husbands employment and I'm not employed. I've heard that St John's Wort works, but thought maybe someone would know of something else. Thanks again!
St. John's Wort does help some, doesn't help others, but usually the natural way to treat illness is more complicated than taking one thing.  It usually involves therapy, lifestyle and dietary changes, and a formula of remedies targeting different organs involved in the problem.  And it's not cheap, either, as insurance doesn't cover any of it and if you don't know it well you need to hire someone who does.  You can try St. John's wort and see if it works.  You can also try something called 5-HTP.  You might read a book by Hyla Cass, a psychiatrist at UCLA, called Natural HIghs for an overview of treating this naturally.  Therapy is your first choice.  Your husband chose a very high deductible plan to cut down on premium payments -- if he can afford a better plan with higher premiums the deductible goes down as well.  Good luck.  By the way, my experience is that the better psychologists and psychiatrists don't take insurance anyway, and the ones who do are very busy and don't spend much time with you and are usually less aware of the downsides of the medications.  So there's that, too.  
I should have mentioned, there are also natural relaxants that target GABA as Benzos do, but natural remedies are weaker in action than medications, which usually means the side effects are less dangerous but also means they are more difficult to get results with -- it takes work sometimes.  But some people are luck and do find that one remedy that works for them.
10356 commented on msdelight's status
melimeli commented on photo
melimeli commented on mhv's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms