Anxiety Community
Melatonin -- Does It Make You More Depressed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I have agoraphobia with occasional bouts of depression.  The 2 feed off each other.  I am best when I get a really good nights sleep, which is rare in my world.  I wanted to know if any of you had success with deep sleep from taking melatonin?  I also wanted to know if it can make depression worse?  It seems that it's sometimes used to treat depression (ironically) but I've also read that it can aggravate depression.  Wanted to get some feedback from people here that have experience with it.

Thank you
Melatonin might help you fall asleep, but if you're problem is staying sleep it wont do too much for you.
As far as it increasing depression I don't think it's possible, but if someone else has read any articles of studies on that I'd love to hear about it.
Oh bummer.  My problem is always staying asleep.  I wake up after 4-5 hrs and have a lot of trouble staying asleep.  Maybe melatonin would help if I took it after I wake up naturally after 4-5 hrs????
Melatonin when it works will help you fall asleep and stay asleep providing one of the causes of your sleep problem is related to your body clock.  If you're on any serotonin affecting medications, melatonin is a product of serotonin production, and since medications alter the natural way your body processes serotonin it can also mess up your melatonin levels.  Since it's one of the safest substances ever tested, why not give it a try?  It's also a potent antioxidant.  One of the problems people have with it is they take too high a dose -- studies show lower doses are better.  Try 1mg.  For me, it helps me fall asleep after Paxil withdrawal ruined my life, and nothing else has been able to do that, but staying asleep is difficult because my schedule is very off -- it works better if you're on a schedule that is natural to you, because melatonin sets your body clock and it's hard to do that if you're off whatever body clock is natural to you (not everyone is suited to getting up early and going to bed early -- people differ).  
Hi again.  You know I'm going to ask.....  ;0)

What have you done to address the anxiety?  In all the threads you've posted, there have been quite a few different approaches you were going to take...from Zoloft, to the beta blocker, to an anti-nausea med, to a more natural approach, yet every time you return, you seemed to have talked yourself out of the latest treatment, for various reasons.

You know I don't pull any punches, and have called you out on this many times, and I'll tell you, I only do so because I REALLY feel badly when I see someone stuck in a rut...suffering, desperately wanting to get their lives back, but just NOT following through.  

I know you have a lot of anxiety about medications, we've talked about that before, too.  A LOT of people do, but at SOME point, you have to take a chance on SOMETHING, or you'll never reap the benefits, and you'll stay basically housebound, tethered by anxiety and panic.  You've already suffered way too long.

18% of the US population is diagnosed with some form of anxiety disorder, so as you can see, you're far from alone.  The modern treatments for anxiety are very successful for a large portion of the people seeking treayment. Also, with anxiety treatment, there is literally something for everyone...and the treatment recommendations are going to vary based on severity of symptoms, extent of disruption of daily life, among many other factors.

Your anxiety is a little higher up on the scale, severity wise.  So was mine.  I had daily (all day long at one point) panic attacks, and was also housebound a few times in my life.  I also know that seeking help was the BEST thing I ever did.  Meds and therapy literally gave me my life back.  I know you want that, and I know you're scared.  It's OK to be scared, but again...you HAVE to come a little out of that comfort zone and take the plunge....do something.  I still think that trying the Zoloft is a very reasonable first step...it's a good starting place.  Zoloft was the first med I ever took for my panic, and for ME (as everyone is different)...it was amazing.  I actually sought help pretty quickly after my first bad panic attack...and I STILL think I waited too long, in retrospect.  YOU have waited FAR too long.

What is the WORST thing that can happen?  You won't tolerate the Zoloft, you'll have some side effects, and will have to stop taking it and try something else.  Chances are, that won't ever happen.  You may have a few mild side effects, but they will typically resolve after about 2 weeks.

ALL you have to do is commit a FEW months of your life in trying this out, as a starting point.  If you're like most other people, you will tolerate the Zoloft well, and it will work tremendously to help decrease your anxiety.  Once THAT happens, you will be FAR more comfortable getting out, getting to therapy, and REALLY start chipping away at this huge wall of anxiety you've been building.  

I'm sure you've heard all this from your doctor as well, as he keeps trying, going along with the latest suggestion from you...but then, every time, you follow up with him, and tell him why, again, you chose not to try it.  He's a gem!  I'm sure he's frustraed.  

You HAVE to try something, or else, you have to accept that this will be your quality of life.  I'll tell you first hand, as will lots of others, THAT is not good enough...not when there is so much help out there.

I SINCERELY hope this post will be taken to heart.  Every time I lay it out for you, you seem to have an "epiphany", you agree with me, tell me I've showed you the light, and are gun-ho or moving forward.  I KNOW those words from you are sincere, and I KNOW that in that moment...you truly feel that way, empowered, ready...willing to fight this.  NOW what you have to do is act on those feelings.

I'll be anxiously awaiting an update.  You can do this.  It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.
I started having sleep problems about 3 years ago, and I've never fully gone back to my old sleep habits, nor do I think I ever will. Right now a good night sleep for me is waking up only 2-3 times. I don't know what's causing your sleeplessness, but melatonin alone won't help you stay asleep. I don't know anything about you, but do you get a lot of exercise? I'm unable to exercise which really makes my situation worse since I was very very athletic up until 3 years ago. A good hour to 1.5 hour of exercise every day can do wonders for the human body. I wish I could do this my self, but I can't. If you're already exercising heavily right now than this is pointless advice, but if you're not than give it a try.
Hey Nursegirl.  Yeah you do lay it all out there, lol.  I've progressed quite a bit actually and have followed up actively with therapy and CBT drills which are really paying off.  But I still have issues sleeping...not everyday but enough.
Yay! A good update!  So glad to hear it!  Are you starting to leave the house a bit more?
Hey, I'd still give the melatonin a try.  You have nothing to lose, and when it works, it's one of the few substances that does help people stay asleep contrary to what you've read on here.  It's just that it doesn't do what many people think it does; it's not a sedative, it sets the body clock.  Again, if that's not what your body needs, then melatonin won't work.  But as one of the safest substances ever tested in the laboratory why not give it a try?  
@nursegirl--yes, getting out much more.  Still staying within 10 miles of home, but getting out more and more.  Thanks for asking.  How have you been?

@Paxiled---cool name btw!  :-)   Yes, I agree w/you totally about giving melatonin a shot.  I see it as a free-roll too, i.e. nothing to lose, and everything to gain.  Thanks for your replies and insight.  Much appreciated!!!  
need someone
1 hr ago by calico333
10356 commented on onthefence's status
1 hr ago
Jade59 commented on spider6's status