Anxiety Community
Melatonin and Fluoxetine interaction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Melatonin and Fluoxetine interaction?

Hello, I have a question about taking melatonin and fluoxetine in the same day. I've been on fluoxetine for almost a year now. I stopped taking melatonin when I started it because I read a few articles that it might potentially interfere. I was jw if anyone here take the two, and what your doctors have said or side effects you've had. Thanks.
It's hard to see exactly where they would interact, since they work on completely different physiological processes.  Then again, everyone has their own peculiarities when it comes to this stuff.  Melatonin is a hormone made naturally by the body to set the body clock and as an antioxidant.  It doesn't affect serotonin in any direct way, but obviously if you're not sleeping well it won't help serotonin do its thing.  I use melatonin with Celexa and have used it with Paxil and Lexapro, and haven't had a problem, nor have I heard of any problems with melatonin.  It's one of the safest pharmaceutical products ever tested, but again, one should always be on the lookout for strange reactions to whatever you take, be it food, medication, or natural remedies.  There is some evidence Luvox can increase the effect of melatonin, and some people with autoimmune disorders have been warned about taking it, but I don't know how much harm or what kind they're afraid of.  One thing about melatonin that's often wrong is the dose -- .5mg or 1mg is a good dose.  For this one, less is more.  You'll often see 3mg or 5mg the recommended dose, but that's too high for most people.  That would be only if you had a problem metabolizing it.  Most of the reported problems with it were at very high doses, but it doesn't work at very high doses, so there's no reason to take that much.  
Thanks for the answer. I do have hypothyroidism, and need to take levoxyl. So I will speak to my endocrinologist about this was as well.
Like Paxilled said....Melatonin is cosidered a pretty safe supplement. Always if you have questions about any of your medications being incompatible, or having interactions with one another...discuss with your doctor or Pharmacist.  It is always important to make sure your doctor and Pharmacist is aware of any and all medications you are taking...from prescribed, to OTC, and any natural supplements.
remar commented on photo
23 mins ago
lynnsee idk what to do Comment
1 hr ago
ash009 commented on Swimming!
1 hr ago