Anxiety Community
Minerals and Supplements Vs. Medications and Prescriptions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hello.

I have been battling anger, anxious feelings, worrysome thoughts, O.C.D. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), and G.A.D. (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) for several years now.
I also have a lack of positivity and energy.

I am currently taking about five (5) various NATURAL Supplements from a homeopathic Ph.d. that I had been seeing. They include: ProDHA, GabaVal, Lizyme Forte, and MinTran. I am taking these as part of a supplement regiment that reduces my anxiety levels and gives me bodily balance.
The problem is that I have been taking them for about three (3) months accoring to the plans laid out by the homeopathic Ph.d. and his assistants, and I do not feel that much better, nor a great deal calmer.

At the same time, I have been seeing my psychiatrist who has been prescribing psychoactive drugs, and a pair of antidepressants of the SSRI variety. These have helped me in the past with the various issues I'm dealing with. However, since September of 2011  they have not had the same helpful results on my body that efficiently reduce the amount of anxiety and my levels of tension and anger. Thus, with the recommendation from my pshychiatriast, I recently started taking a new set of antidepressants and psychoactive drugs that include Prozac (Fluoxitine). The results of this new prescription schedule have yet to be seen.

My question is: Since I have had issues with both at times, should I trust the hollistic method, or the psychiatry and medication method. Which of these methods should I choose now for bettering my quality of life.

Please answer truthfully, and use knowledge and experience to support your answer.
Thanks.
Hi there,

The truthful answer to your question is that prescription drugs are what helped me at various times of my life to battle agoraphobia/panic disorder.

I tried several holistic remedies....believe a couple may have helped a bit, but exercise and therapy helped more.

The goal is to improve quality of life.  So whatever does that is what you will stick with.  Acceptance of your disorder is important, and patience with the trial and error period of drugs.

Best...
Does your psychiatrist know you're taking the supplements?  They come with their own set of side effects and should never be mixed with prescription drugs unless your psychiatrist says it's okay.  I've had great results on prescription medication and the so called "natural" and "hollistics" are not well regulated.
Jade59 commented on photo
Amandag78 commented on photo
Amandag78 commented on Cee lo